Home (Alternative Universe) #4

NeffyShorties
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Sunny cut the surgical suture and wrapped the wound with sterile gauze, she cleared . It was awfully quiet inside the curtain. When Sunny did her job, Taeyeon and Tiffany didn’t exchange a word. They stole a brief glance, that’s it.

 

“Okay. We’re done. Get some rest first. I’ll ask my nurse to deal with administration stuff and you’re good to go home. We’ll have to check that wound in three days. Don’t let it wet.”

 

“Thank you, Doctor Lee.” Tiffany said gratefully.

 

“My pleasure.” Sunny patted Tiffany’s knee. “Or you can ask Doctor Kim to take a look at it. There are only two stitches.”

 

Tiffany noticed that Taeyeon tensed from the corner of her eyes. “O – oh okay. Thanks again.”

 

“Sure.” With that, Sunny disappeared behind the curtain.

 

Slowly, Taeyeon stood up. She put her hands in the jeans pocket. “Does it hurt?”

 

“A bit.” Tiffany lifted up her injured index finger. “Just a tiny wound. I’m tough.”

 

Taeyeon only smiled and chuckled. Then the awkward silence started again.

 

“Hey, Tiff, the nurse told me you’re done– Doctor Kim!” Sooyoung greeted Taeyeon excitedly when she saw the doctor. “I thought you took a leave?”

 

“Uh, yes. I do.” Taeyeon smiled politely. She knew this woman. Choi Sooyoung. Her father is her patient. “How are your parents?”

 

“They’re good. My father just ordered me to cancel the appointment I made with another doctor and decided to wait till you come back. They even told me to call you directly. Now that you’re here, when will you come back?”

 

Taeyeon’s tried so hard not to maintain her expression. “Please do tell him to do his check up on schedule. I – uh… I won’t be around here for a while.”

 

“Why?”

 

Tiffany cleared loudly. She looked at Sooyoung firmly, somehow telling her to stop pressing Doctor Kim.

 

“Wh–”

 

“It’s personal leave.” Taeyeon answered diplomatically. “Good evening, Ms. Hwang, Ms. Choi and Miss…?”

 

“Jung. Jessica Jung.” The third woman replied.

 

“Ms. Jung.” Taeyeon nodded and walked away.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, can you take the car?”

 

“Yeah, okay. You two wait at the front. I’ll fetch you there.”

 

When there were just the two of them, Jessica tilted her head to the side as she stared at Tiffany questionably. They were best friend for years. Tiffany knew that look very well.

 

“Don’t question it. Don’t say anything about it. Don’t make me say it.”

 

“I wonder Sooyoung is that dumb or what?” Jessica helped Tiffany to hop off from the bed. “I really wish my thought is wrong but it’s unlikely.”

 

“Stop talking.” Tiffany muttered lowly.

 

“I’m your best friend.” She rolled her eyes.

 

“And a professional attorney. You know our ethic rule. Don’t make me say it.”

 

“That is also an indirect confirmation, by the way.” Jessica smirked smugly. “My game is better than yours.”

 

Tiffany glared at Jessica, effectively made her shut up.

 

“Fine. I’ll be quiet.”

 

-----

 

Later that night, Tiffany was fresh from the shower and ready to sleep. She set the alarm at the usual time then slipped under the blanket. In that dim room, Tiffany couldn’t help but rewinding what happened in the hospital earlier. She couldn’t fathom why she approved Doctor’s Lee offer almost immediately. Both of them, Doctor Lee Soonkyu and her, should have not done that. As a colleague and an attorney, they should’ve known better. The hospital revoked Doctor Kim’s license temporarily for an obvious reason. Without that, Doctor Kim had no right to do any medical procedure. Fail to follow the regulation, she’d face even more problem.

 

But… the way Doctor Lee said it. No, wait. It had nothing to do with Doctor Lee. It was hers. Doctor Lee could’ve just joked about it and she didn’t catch it. But why would she even joke about it? It was not a joking material. Gosh, what is wrong with her? As an attorney, her job was to make sure that Doctor Kim Taeyeon is safe from the worst scenario. What she did was the complete opposite.

 

She was so lost in her thought. Only when her phone on the nightstand lit up, she snapped out of it. Slowly, she reached out for it. The name got her heart skipped a beat. Weird.

 

Dr. Kim Taeyeon

Don’t forget your painkiller.

 

She was not sure how to reply that message. Thank you didn’t seem good enough. She kept contemplating what to say till sleep pulled her in.

 

-----

 

The next three days are too damn hectic with clients, meeting, court, and pleasing her boss with the money the firm made because of her. She eventually forgot to reply Doctor Kim’s text.

 

Today is no better. She didn’t wake up late but she was stuck in a really bad traffic because of truck versus sedan accident, the usual barista at the coffee shop inside the building was off so her coffee was not as good as usual (coffee is very important for her wellbeing), the first meeting was crazy annoying, and the ins

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter