Chapter 45

Fate or random luck?

 

 Speak, Jinyoung. Speak! I forgot what to say, eottoke?, Jinyoung thought. His throat had gone dry and his heartbeat was faster than usual. Speak!, he screamed in his mind.

 “A-a-a. H-h-h-haengeun-ah.”, Jinyoung managed to say.

 Haengeun mind’s had gone blank the moment Jinyoung’s eyes met hers. There was no doubt that he still had an effect on her. ‘Haengeun-shi’, she heard him say. Did he just call me by Haengeun? This is the first time that he called me that, she thought.

 “Umm?”

 “I should call you, Kyuneun-ah right?”, Jinyoung asked with a smile. Haengeun’s heart dropped and she only managed to nod.

 “I just want to say that I’m sorry for leaving you the other day. I’m just shocked about everything. Honestly, I never thought I’m going to meet you again. I mean, it’s been a long time. I even forgot about our promise and for that, I’m sorry.”, Jinyoung begun.

 “I-i-it’s okay.”, Haengeun stuttered.

 “Aniya, it’s not okay. I made a promise to precious person and I forgot. I’m such a pabo. What’s worse is that I hurt her. I hurt the most precious person in my life, my only girl. Haengeun, Kim Haengeun. I’m sorry for forgetting. I’m sorry for making you cry. I’m sorry for leaving you. I’m sorry for hurting you. Do have it in your heart to forgive me?”, Jinyoung asked with an aegyo.

 Hearing the familiar words of endearment, Haengeun can’t help but smile. I didn’t think that he would remember that he used to call me his ‘only girl’. Is he doing an aegyo? No wonder Chanshik oppa is like that, he still uses that technique, she thought.

 “Of course, HYUNG I forgive you. Why won’t I? You’re still using that technique. You didn’t change a bit.”, Haengeun chuckled.

 “Mwo? I changed. I matured a lot since we last saw each other.”, Jinyoung answered back.

 “Aniya, from the few months that I’ve been with you I can honestly say that you’re the same skinny kid that hit me with a ball before.”

 “YA! KIM KYUNEUN! HOW DARE YOU TALK TO YOUR HYUNG LIKE THAT?”

 *merong* Haengeun can’t help but laugh some more. Her laughter was heard all over their usual spot. The chilly breeze that surrounds her and Jinyoung was nothing to them. It was as if they can’t feel it through their skin. Out of nowhere Jinyoung threw his arms around her and she stopped laughing. Her breathing became ragged and she felt that her heart would explode anytime.

 “I’m glad you forgave me, I don’t know what I’ll do if you didn’t. Haengeun-ah, I missed you so much. You can’t imagine how many times I wished and prayed that we didn’t move. I always wondered how my life would be if we stayed but that doesn’t matter now. I’m just so happy.”, Jinyoung whispered to Haengeun.

 As the words from Jinyoung’s lips fill her ears, Haengeun can’t help herself. Her arms found its way to Jinyoung body and wrapped itself around it. She was smiling knowing that that was he felt. There were words to describe what she was feeling then.

 When Jinyoung broke the hug, he felt flushed. It was as if Haengeun drained all of his energy. He was feeling light headed, no. No felt like he was on cloud 9. Nothing could ruin this moment, he thought to himself.

 “So ‘Kyuneun-ah’, why don’t you tell me what happened to you and your noona when I left?”, he asked. He was eager to know everything, for he wanted to fill all those years that they were apart.

 “Ummm, nothing much happened.”, Haengeun answered.

 “Mwo? Are you kidding me? Many years had passed and you’re telling me that nothing happened.”

 “Errr, I don’t know exactly what to tell you. Why don’t you ask then I’ll try my best to answer? How’s that?”, Haengeun asked.

 “That’s a great idea! You’re still the smart one. Ummmmm, when I left did you have any other friends?”

 Friends? After him? Did we have any?, Haengeun asked herself. She remembered that when they were younger, no one dared to play with them which caused them some difficulty. Both she and Kyuneun were friendless until Jinyoung came along.

 “Ani.”

 Mwo? They didn’t have any? Aigoo, this makes me feel guiltier. I knew that the other kids don’t like them but I thought maybe they would, Jinyoung thought. His heart was broken a little, imagining the young twins playing on their own just like before. They were isolated from everything, he noticed them every time he was at the park/playground.

 “Oh”, was all he managed to say.

 Haengeun noticed the sad look on Jinyoung’s face.

 “Don’t feel sorry for us. Don’t you remember that we hate being looked down or pitied? It’s really alright. When we went to school, things changed a little. People were a little friendlier to us. We were always together, so it was fine. Until Appa told us that we had to go to separate schools, that’s when things got difficult.”, Haengeun said. She couldn’t finish whatever she was saying. Remembering her days at her former school saddens her.

 “Diffcult? How?”, Jinyoung asked.

 “I haven’t told anyone about this except Kyuneun and Chanshik oppa. Well, at my former school I was always bullied by those snobby rich girls. I didn’t dare fight back because I don’t want to have any record. Appa and Eomma would be so disappointed if they found out that their daughter was in a cat fight. So I let them be.”, Haengeun replied, gripping the edge of the bench.

 She was bullied? But she’s a tough girl, I remember before when some older kids pushed Kyuneun off the slide. She rushed to those kids and begun to beat them. What happened?, Jinyoung asked himself. He reached for Haengeun’s hand and held it while looking straight at her.

 “Gwenchana, it’s all over now. Those mean people won’t hurt you anymore because I’m here. But may I know why didn’t you fight back? You won’t have any record because that would count as self defense.”, Jinyoung said with a concerned voice.

 The moment that Jinyoung’s hand touched hers, Haengeun blushed. It was a good timing that it was already evening, she can’t let him know that she was blushing. The concerned tone of Jinyoung moved her. It was just like before. That look, that voice, nothing did change, she said to herself. She forced herself to smile, making him worried won’t do anything good.

 “Nothing. Hyung, don’t worry. It’s all part of the past now. So next question.”, she quickly tried to change the topic.

 Jinyoung was about to say something but he decided to let it go. She’s right, there’s no point in dwelling on the past. *sigh*, he thought.

 “Love? Did any of you fell in love while I was gone?”, he asked without thinking. He wasn’t sure why he asked this in the first place. Eottoke? Why did I just ask that? What if she says that she had? Is she more experienced than I?, he nervously thought. He saw Haengeun concentrating, it seemed that she was trying to remember something. It made him more nervous and he regretted asking it.

 “Ummm. If I remember correctly Kyuneun used to like this girl, I just don’t know if something happened between them. I’m really that much of a nosy sister.”, Haengeun answered.

 “H-h-how about you?”, Jinyoung asked sheepishly.

 Me? Did I fall in love with someone while growing up? Aniyo. I don’t remember. I could only think of you. I wondered how you looked like, how tall you are, how much you’ve grown. I can’t say those things to him!, Haengeun thought. She lightly hit her head. She was trying her best to have a safe answer.

 “Ani”

 Jinyoung’s faced light up when he heard Haengeun mutter the word, ‘Ani’. He felt relieved and happy. She never had any relationships before. That’s great!, he screamed in his mind. He wanted to jump with glee but he restrained himself.

 “My turn to ask. So hyung, how many girlfriends did you already have?”, Haengeun asked courageously. Please say zero. Please say zero. None. None, she silently prayed.

 It was obvious that Jinyoung was surprised with Haengeun’s question. He didn’t think that she would ask her with much confidence. It was as if it doesn’t matter to her what his answer would be.

 “One. I only had one.”

 The strong façade that Haengeun had, turned into a poker face. Honestly she was hurt, hurt that somebody had already been Jinyoung’s first. She always thought that once she found her ‘oppa’ then maybe something would happen. That maybe he’ll be her first; first love, first boyfriend and first kiss. Everything that she hoped for came crumbling down with that short answer. Ya! Are you hurt? You didn’t think that he would actually wait for you, right? He’s a good looking guy, there’s no doubt that girls would want him. Pabo!, a voice in her mind scolded her. She knew that was true. Why am I feeling hurt? I knew that he would have at least one but . . , she thought.

 *EXHALE* “Jinja? That’s great, I guess. [glances on her phone] Ah, hyung. I have to go. Chanshik oppa is looking for me. I can’t make him wait. So, I guess see you around. Goodnight.”, Haengeun said bowing and went her way. She hurriedly rushed back to their room where she could finally stop pretending.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Another heartache, another pain. It seems that it was inevitable when you're Kim Haengeun. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Aisht! I posted a few days ago but it didn't saw up here! Damn it! I even spent a ton of effort on those. So I'm so sorry for those who were waiting for my updates. Darn it. Oh well, now here I am. Still interested??