Chapter 8

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Whenever there are days when the world would turn its back from you, always remember, there will always be one person that will be left for you.

 

Kai tapped his foot impatiently on the concrete paving as he sat next to me on the bench in the bus stop. His head was hung low as he sighs from time to time, loud enough for me to realize that he was frustrated about something. I would occasionally look at his direction, but I would instantly look away, afraid that he would catch on. His hand was grasping mine tightly, making sure that I wouldn’t walk away. We sat there for long not saying anything to each other.

As the cold brushed past my skin, I shivered even more, but I was contented that I have Kai’s hand to warm mine up. It was making me feel very safe. And his mere presence, assures me that I am protected. 

The terrible rain hasn’t stopped at all, so we’re stuck in this place until my brother comes. I called him up after crying on Kai since I didn’t want to come home looking so messed up. Minhyuk asked me over the phone why I sounded like there was something wrong, but I told him that I will explain everything when he picks us up. He agreed to it, and I was more than glad that he didn’t have to ask me so much.

A sneeze suddenly escaped from me, and I abruptly clapped my hands over my mouth as it repeated and repeated a couple of times. Another reason why I hate the rain—I easily get sick.

“Are you okay?” Kai asked with worry in his eyes as he looked at me.

I averted my gaze and bobbed my head to assure him that I am, even if I was freezing cold. To my surprise though, Kai’s hand left mine, and he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. His free hand grazed on his blazer that I wore, and he buttoned it up until the second to the top button to keep me warm.

“Is that doing you any better?” He asked again, with a calm tone.

I bobbed my head, and this time I beamed him a reassuring smile that made his own lips turn upward.

“You can rest your head on my shoulder if you are tired. I think your brother will come after still half an hour, so sleep if you want too.” He told me as an offer, but I shook my head since it would be unfair for him if I just slept while he waits.

“I can’t owe you anything any more than this, Kai.” I told him, still with a smile.

He chewed his lower lip and sighed. “Well, I owe you a lot.” He uttered.

“Hm?” I hummed, trying to asking him to tell me further, but Kai just shook his head and displayed a small smile at me.

“What are you going to do with Tao, anyway?” I asked him out of curiosity, since I am worried how what happened might leave a mark over their friendship.

He sighed deeply again and shrugged. “Let’s not just talk about him right now.” I bobbed my head and decided to stop from asking further. 

Our wait consisted of silence, and Kai’s continuous rubbing on my arm to keep me warm. He would often ask me if I was okay. I could have been very irritated that he asked and asked me the same question, but considering our situation, I couldn’t just get mad at him at all.

A white car stopped by the side of the road in front of us, and I saw my brother roll his window down. He gestured for us to get in, and in no time Kai & I were both on our feet going in to my brother’s car. Kai opened and held the door for me, and let me in first. I thanked him when he was finally inside too, sitting close to me on the back seat.

“Are you both okay?” Kai and I instantly looked at each other, and turned our heads to my brother to nod at the same time.

I saw Minhyuk smile from his reflection on the rear view mirror, but it had a tinge of worry, which told me how he was probably starting to wonder what really happened to us. I looked back at Kai and caught him staring intently at me. I beamed him a smile, but he only looked away wordlessly. Why?

We reached my brother’s flat in the center of Gangnam after an hour and a half. It was situated in the busiest streets, in a towering skyscraper that probably reached up to 50 floors. The place is pretty modern and neat. I could easily tell that my brother worked hard to finish organizing the place and matching it up to his taste since his furniture and walls consisted of black and white.

“I’ll get you a change of clothes so sit anywhere you like for a while.” Minhyuk oppa told us as he left going to what looks like his room at the far right.

Kai sat on the black leather couch in the living room, and I followed suit, making myself feel at home in my brother’s flat. I gazed around for a while, trying to take in the minimalistic feel of the whole place, until my eyes laid on the huge glass window overlooking the breathtaking night view of Seoul. I strutted towards it while water dripped down from my soaked clothes to the carpet covered floor, and pressed my hands flat on the cold glass as I marveled the endless skyline and the twinkling city below it.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it?” I bobbed my head in response and cocked my head to the side to gaze at Kai as he took the spot next to me. 

He stood with his hands dipped in his pockets. His face adorned with a smile that looked kind of sad. His face that was bruised after getting hit by Tao, was clouded with so many emotions that I couldn’t figure out. It’s not the first time I saw him look like that, but this is the first time that I worried why he seems sad all the time.

“Are you okay?” The words came out of my mouth in curiosity.

Kai turned his head towards my direction. His brows instantly furrowed together as he stared into my eyes, and he his lips as he tried to find a response. 

“I am” He says that, but he doesn’t really look like it. Liar.

I stepped back away from the glass window and faced him. “You’re lying, aren’t you?” I asked him inquisitively as I raise a brow at him.

He raised a brow back at me and suddenly chuckled. “Do I look like I am? No. You’re just probably thinking too much.” He told me with a stern voice and looked away.

I turned away at the same time and hugged myself with my arms as I started to feel cold again. “I’ve always notice you frown all the time. It’s not something I just saw today. So, I thought that you are really lying about being okay.” I told him my honest opinion.

Kai chortled, as if he was mocking me and shook his head. He looked amused for a brief moment, but his facial expression slowly turned back to being stoic after that. “Even if it is true, why would you worry about others, when you, yourself have a lot to worry about?” he told me with a stern voice as he focused his vision far ahead.

I stepped closer to the glass window and blew on it slowly created a thin film of white on the glass. I pressed a finger on the middle of it, and it left a tiny dot. 

“Just like a single dot in the middle of a blank paper, people only see what is wrong all the time. And just like everyone, to me, today I realized how there must be also something the most perfect lad Seoul High students look up to hides.” I told him frankly.

Kai shook his head again and run his finger on his hair in utter frustration. “You may be right, but it is something that doesn’t concern you, so stop asking me about it.” He said before trying to walk off.

I held his hand with both mine to stop him, and he stopped in place as I wished. “I-I just wish you could tell me anything since you helped me. I would feel troubled if I wouldn’t be able to help you—“ I was interrupted as he held both my arms and stared with horror at the fresh blood-tinged wound around my wrist.

“Kai, please let go.” I asked him as I tried to tug my arms away from his hold, but he only continued to stare on my wrist. His lips quivered as he slowly slid his hand on my wounds and lightly touched them, as if he was feeling whether it was really there.

“I-It’s my f-fault something like this happened to you.” He said with a poignant voice that told me, he was sorry.

“Mwo?!” My brother’s loud voice echoed in the room, and that made the both of us pull away from each other and look at his direction.

Minhyuk showed an expression of disbelief and displeasure. He must have probably heard what Kai said. He strutted towards us with a scowl on his face, and his hand abruptly reached Kai’s collar.

“Oppa!” I held his wrist to stop him but he only swatted my hand away, dropped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter