Chapter 15

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'm starting to regret that I even opened our gate and let these idiots in the house. Who would have thought they'd be troublesome than they already are at school?

 

"Nana-ah, palli! We're all already hungry here!" Chen whined fron the living room.

 

I felt like snapping at them right after hearing that. How could they even complain about being hungry when they just barged in my house and ordered me into cooking dinner for them?! Am I their nanny?! 

 

I puffed air up to my fringe that seemingly started sticking on my sweaty forehead. This is not the night I want to be spending until Friday. I just hope they'd go away soon so I can be alone. That's better than being ordered around in my own house. Better than cooking for seven more headaches. Better than being bothered by loud mouths who think they can get close to me just because I do talk to them in school. Wait, scratch that—I forgot that we're supposed to be friends already. I should probably start getting used to their presence even if they'd be so much annoying in the future. 

 

I smiled at the thought that I finally have friends. Friends I'd spend each coming day.

 

But then, just with the thought of transferring schools. The smile that graced my lips faded. I forgot that I'd have to leave them soon. Why have I even thought about spending each day with them? That's impossible. 

 

"Oww!!!" I groaned in pain when my arm touched the hot frame of the pan I was cooking on some chicken.

 

"'" It started to redden and sting when I looked at it.

 

Suddenly, two hands appeared from behind me. One hand held my left arm and the other held my right. I was pushed towards the sink without difficulty and those feathery touch felt no less reassuring at that moment. The person behind me opened the tap in no time and my burnt arm was instantly placed under the cold running water. No words were exchanged between us and yet just by his distinct scent and presence behind me, I already know who he is. Those slender fingers, his unique bronze skin, his warm breath that kept brushing on my hair from behind me—all of it seems so familiar.

 

"Does it still sting?" His voice was deep and thick, and yet I found it comforting enough.

 

"Mmmm." I mumbled out when he retracted my arm from the running water and felt the slightest sting from the burnt spot on my arm.

 

A sigh escaped from his lips, and that one sound he released made me want to turn around and see what was wrong with him, but the hands that once were on my arms stopped me from turning around as he wrcapped his arms and connected his hands together to trap me. His head that once was still a few inches from behind me rested on my right shoulder, leaving no gap at all between us. 

 

"K-Kai?" I was uncertain how I should take his weird actions for, that I called his name, but his response was nonexistent. He remained silent.

 

The tingling sensation that his touch sent through every fiber in my body made me feel so satisfied. My thumping heart and butterflies which both seem untamed at the moment added to the hype my body was feeling. It were all warranted. I just know that I need it. That I want this. 

 

This is just too perfect. 

 

But I can never live in such a nice dream.

 

"O-oh, !" I peeled his hands off from me and I broke free from him without thinking when I noticed the pan on the stove emitting spirals of smoke.

 

I flipped the chickens around on the pan. and I was glad that they were just slightly burnt. Sighing in relief, I was suddenly reminded that Kai was still there. He was still in his old spot by the sink, and he seemed like he was slightly smiling as he looked at me. 

 

I looked down on the pan as I noticed my cheeks slightly flushing. "T-tell the others that dinner will be ready in 5 minutes." I asked him whilst trying not to stutter.

 

His feet shuffled on the floor as I have noticed from the corner of my eyes, and soon I could hear his steps getting further. "Okay."

 

We sat around the dining table with the feast I've prepared for them in the middle—some miso soup, kimchi that mom kept in the fridge, steamed fish, tempura, beef teriyaki, and some fried chicken, with a couple of side dishes they have probably never tried ever in their lives before.

 

"Sorry if that's all I can prepare for you for dinner." I apologized before they could even taste the dishes.

 

Kyungsoo suddenly raised a brow at me. "Silly! That's alright! This is more than enough for all of us." He chuckled a bit before putting food on his plate.

 

"Did you really cook all of this?" Tao asked, his eyes showing great interest at the food before him.

 

I bobbed my head as I fiddled with my fingers below the table. "But I'm not as good as my mother so don't expect too much." I informed them all with a small voice.

 

"What are you even saying? This could even surpass the food the cooks in our houses prepare!" Chen blurted out whilst chewing. He has touched the food without all of us even knowing.

 

All their eyes widened at the boy's flamboyant reaction, and without any more say, they had dug into the dishes I've prepared, hungrily. I watched as they devoured on the food with surprisingly good reactions. Chanyeol rocked his body from side to side giddily as he savoured the taste of the kimchi in his mouth. Tao would slurp loudly on his spoon whenever tasting his soup. Chen and Kyungsoo would giggle like idiots at every bite. Baekhyun would often take secret glances at me, but I tried not to get bothered by it as I eat my own share. Sehun would exchange chuckles with Kai whilst conversing over food. Speaking of the devil, it seems like Kai had pulled the plate of fried chicken in front of him, making the rest forget its existence in our menu. I mentally noted how he probably got an obsession over it and smiled a little at the thought.

 

"You're such a bad liar when you said you're not as good as your mom! Complete understatement!" Kyungsoo accusingly told me after finally freeing his mouth of food.

 

"But I just told you what I think." I uttered out apologetically as I tried to hide my bashful face, "I've not really touched the kitchen for so long, except when mom would ask for assistance." I pouted at the end and placed my chopsticks down on my plate.

 

"Jinjja?!" Tao asked, a little surprised, "you're a goddamn cooking genius then!" he remarked as he raised his chopsticks and pointed it to me with conviction.

 

I heard soft chuckles from some of them, and that made my cheeks get hot. I was totally flustered that they were showering me with compliments for cooking dinner—a feast that I made without thinking whether they would like it or not since I was quite irritated that they visited without even telling me beforehand. 

 

When the plates were finally cleared—thanks to their beastly appetites, my ears were already restless from the tons of compliments I received from them.

 

"Just leave your plates here, I'll just clean everything up." I told them as I stood up from my seat and picked up my own plate.

 

"No!" Baekhyun suddenly gripped on my wrist. "L-let me do it." He uttered, trailing off in the end.

 

I gave him an incredulous look as if saying 'are-you-for-real ?', and shook his grip away. "You have probably never even washed your own plate nor entered your own kitchen, so no thanks." I told him with nonchalance to prevent him from arguing further.

 

But he seems

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter