Chapter 20

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Take this." Mrs. Kim placed a piece of paper on my palm. 

 

Taking a look at it under the light casted by the post lamp in the street, I saw an address scribbled on it in black ink. I looked back at Mrs. Kim confused. What do I do with a an address?

 

Seeing confusion on my face, Mrs. Kim held both my hands in hers and smiled. "That's the address where Kai usually goes to. I don't know if he's there or not but if you want to see him, and if it's fate, you'll find him there." She told me with a calm voice, and somehow I felt myself feel flustered at the confidence she has in me when she told me that.

 

I looked down in my hands. I know I want to see him as soon as possible, but the fear of being unwanted filled my mind. "I feel like I'm not the right person you should entrust this with. Kai doesn't even trust me. And it's possible that he doesn't want to see me either... ever." I told her with a small voice, as I got reminded of the way Kai acted towards me the last time we talked.

 

But she only gave my hands a squeeze. A reassuring one. One filled with warmth and her undying trust. "Do you really believe that?" She asked me with an inquisitive tone.

 

I looked up and asked, "Believe what?"

 

"That you're not important to him?" She says, ending it with a questioning tone. 

 

As much as I want to believe the little voice in my head saying that I am also important to Kai—after all that he had done for me, the care he had for me, our kiss, this special necklace he had given me, my courage has been dying down. Being often the source of Kai's irritation is one thing, but him rejecting me was another.

 

"I-I actually don't know." I told her, sighing deeply afterwards while still looking down.

 

I felt her suddenly placing her hand on my chest, over my heart. "If you don't know the answer, then use your heart to find it." She told me with her sweet voice.

 

I trailed my eyes from her hand on my chest to her face, and I admired the way she smiled at me with adoration. That moment, I felt my heart thump inside me, but in a different rhythm. A rhythm I only feel whenever I think of Kai or see Kai. 

 

"You're loved, Nana." She told me, her hopeful eyes glistening under the moonlight, the sweetness of her voice tugging on my heart. "You just have to see it, but not with your eyes, and rather with your heart. " My eyes widened with what she said. It's as if, suddenly, she has opened a door in my heart—the door of infinite possibilities and hope I had tried locking myself away from.

 

"Kai may appear prickly. He's a difficult person to understand because he keeps his emotions confined, but under his cold facade, believe me, he is a person full of warmth, full of love, full of the real him. And if someone just tries to break the walls that he had built to detach himself from the people around him, I know he's one who will quickly open up. Because that kid is like that—if he let's you pass his defenses, that means he trusts you. That means he will be willing to share every bits of him with you without holding back." Mrs. Kim tells me, her eyes twinkling with admiration for her son.

 

"And that's what's special about him—his dedication to the people he love, his purity, and his genuineness under his mask." She continues with a sheepish smile tugging on her lips.

 

I gulped as I swallowed every bits of the adjectives she used to describe his son—it didn't sound like the Kai I knew from the very first encounter we had, but as much as it opposes my own knowledge about him, I wanted to believe this woman's words. I want to trust in her words because she knows him best like any mother would to their children. I want to hold on to them so I could see the wonderful person she has described Kai as.

 

A smile tugged on my lips as I think of the beautiful things about Kai I discovered thanks to the woman who brought him to this world. "Do you... do you think I can also become that kind of person to him? A person who will finally be able to break through his walls? A person he will trust?" I asked her with an uncertain tone, yet with a hopeful heart.

 

She placed her hands over my shoulders and smiled again. "I believe you have been that kind of person for him for a very long time now. All you just have to do is to make him realize that, because he must not be aware of it as he keeps on doubting himself. " She uttered out. I felt a little perplexed at the fact that how can a person like Kai be so unsure of himself? It's himself, for heaven's sake. How can he—

 

"He has been through a lot of bad experiences, even until now, making him the person you know." She drawled out, as if she just heard a piece of my mind.

 

My spirit dropped at what she said. I know all of us have issues, but I never really delved so much into the fact that people like Kai can actually have undergone something worse than mine. The past year, all I've thought of him was a sick bastard who just had a lot of free time to bully me. I didn't even consider his reason for being like that to me. No matter how much he and the others had hurt me, I feel like I'm a lot worse than him for only thinking of myself and not understanding him.What if he has a lot more to say? What if all he needed is someone to listen to him when he's ready? How cruel and stupid was I to force him to tell me something?

 

"Nana," Mrs. Kim called, "you will help me bring back my son, right?"

 

I gulped as I inhaled the words that rolled off her tongue. I know what she's asking is a great task, and that it's uncertain whether I would be able to succeed, but I won't be able to know the answer unless I try, right? I don't want to end up disappointing her, but I guess I would appear more of a failure if I didn't even do anything for Kai. At least, I tried. That way, I would have no regrets.

 

"Yes." I finally told her, a confident smile gracing my lips.

 

If not for myself, then I will bring back Kai for the people who loves him so much. 

 

"Tomorrow." I told myself as a promise to go to the address I was given, as I had gone back home after thanking Mrs. Kim for everything. She was such an eye opener, and I can't be anymore thankful for her patience and will to help me. To bring me back on my feet.

 

That night, I tried to sleep earlier than usual so I could have enough energy to face tomorrow—since I have to go in two battles; meeting Baekhyun & finding Kai. And I'm grateful that my brain actually followed my will and earned me a wonderful sleep of 8 hours.

 

The following morning, when I woke up, I hurried to get something from my photo album—something so precious to me. Something I have in my possession for 4 long years. When I found it, the two faces smiling for the camera in the photo made me reminisce the first time I met my first love. Having that person in mind, I slipped the photo between the pages of my favorite book in my bag.

 

Today, I'm meeting Baekhyun, and I made sure I had prepared myself to tell him my own piece. I had it memorized in my head before I slept, and even though it's not a guarantee that I would be able to say it word for word, I hope I would be able to convey to him my honest thoughts.

 

Unlike the usual, I dressed up prettily today, with a peach-colored Sunday dress on me, a simple matching sandals around my soles, and a sling bag, I seldom use, hanging on my right shoulder. I let my hair fall naturally until my shoulders to maintain the simplicity. Over all, I'm sporting a girly get up, but that's just because I want to think this day would be special—for new beginnings will be created today, if things will go well for me.

 

I went out of the house after making sure our doors were locked, same for our gate. And before I even sprinted off to a run, I gazed one last time at Kai's house and smiled at the idea that I'll try my best to bring him home later. 

 

"I'll see you later, Kai." I mumbled to myself before aiming for our meeting place.

 

The place Baekhyun wanted for us to meet in, is the cafe we often spent our time as a couple before. Dismissals would mean a trip to the said place and indulgence with our caffeine and bubble tea cravings. It had always been like that. We had simple dates that we would be contented with. Just the fact that we could share our time together, to us, it was the happiest thing. Yet, I consider it all in the past now, as much as I want to get reminded of those beautiful memories. Because my present is not something that cannot consist of those.

 

Heaving a deep sigh as I placed my hand on the handle of the shop door, I gathered all my courage and pushed the door open before sauntering to where Baekhyun was sitting in. He waved at me with a sheepish smile tugging on his lips when he noticed me, and I returned it with a wave of a hand and a faint smile. He pulled a chair for me when I finally reached him, and I sat on the chair he offered, willingly.

 

"Thank you." I uttered out in sincere gratitude for his gentlemanliness.

 

He went back to his seat across from me and offered one of the strawberry bingsu that was served on our table by a waitress. I dug in the delicious icy treat excitedly, knowing that it was something I've longed to taste, and I wasn't disappointed at all when it finally melted in my mouth and the sweetness touched my tastebuds. 

 

"This still taste the same like before!" I beamed at him, feeling so ecstatic as I spooned another portion. Baekhyun chuckled at my reaction and leaned closer to ruffle my hair.

 

"You're still the same." He uttered out, his smile reaching from ear to ear.

 

I blushed at the sight of his cute smile, and ducked my head slightly to hide my cheeks that were already flaring. "So... you said you have something to tell me, right?" I asked him, still eyeing my bingsu.

 

"Hmmm." He hummed in affirmation and sighed.

 

I looked up to him and saw his eyebrows furrow as he crossed his arms and looked at me strangely. My attention shifted though to my phone when I heard it beep, and I fumbled for it in my bag. I hastily opened my phone to check the new message, but only an unfamiliar number registered.

 

'Nana?' The mystery sender only wrote in the message. I racked my brain for who could it be, but I looked up and noticed Baekhyun eyeing me intently, that I just ignored the message, locked my phone and placed it on the table near me in case another message pops up.

 

"Sorry about that." I told him shyly as I fiddled with my fingers on my lap.

 

Baekhyun heaved a small smile and nodded, "It's okay." he assures me.

 

A brief silence took over before he finally cleared his throat, making me shift my gaze to him and my full attention on him. "Well, first off, I asked you to meet up because I want to clear things and right it." He said, with a serious tone. I nodded and prodded for him to continue.

 

He looked down on his bingsu before trailing back his eyes on me, his eyebrows furrowed furious

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter