Chapter 13

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning.”

I squinted my eyes as I tried to focus on my brother’s face. Did he just smile cheekily at me? I did a double take at him and he really was smiling like an idiot as he stood a few feet away from me.

“Good morning!” Another greeting, and my sister was suddenly hugging me from the back. She intentionally rubbed the side of her face against mine that I instantly broke away and took on a fighting stance.

“W-what’s wrong with you guys? Had you been abducted by aliens and changed you to moronic human beings?!” I uttered out, still keeping my defense up.

Seeing both of them show me devious grins proved my theory right.

“Oh, com’on, who among the three of us was the real abductee last night?” I gulped as I saw my sister wiggle her brows and grin at me.

Minhyuk chuckled heartily and wiggled his brows at me in the same manner. “Sis, you have nothing to hide. The boy asked our permission last night before you even came.” He uttered out cockily, and I took a step back as I had that bad feeling that they will extract every information about Kai & I’s getaway last night until to the smallest detail.

“M-mom and dad know?” They bobbed their heads at the same time and continued to grin at me.

Mimi suddenly took a step forward and crossed her arms. “Now that we’ve given you information, tell us what happened!” She demanded.

“Did he bring you somewhere nice? A fine dining? Amusement Park? Church?” Minhyuk asked out as he took a step forward too, almost cornering me at my doorstep.

“W-we just—wait, why do I even have to tell you? It’s none of your business so I’ll just see you downstairs!” I reasoned out before shoving Mimi aside and sprinting down the stairs.

When I got down, I panted as I rested my hands on my knees and calmed myself before strutting into the dining area like nothing even happened, but I was immediately back into being terrified when I saw Kai eating on our dining table whilst laughing with my parents.

“W-what are you d-doing here?!” I asked as I pointed an accusing finger at Kai, but said boy only raised a brow at me and grinned sheepishly.

Suddenly, both of my elder siblings just have to bump on my shoulders and make me almost stumble. Kai was on his feet to help me but I raised a hand for him not to.

“Sorry. You were in the way.” Mimi uttered out mockingly and took the seat next to mom whilst chortling.

Minhyuk followed after her, and took the seat she offered him. “Your seat has been decided, princess.” He utters out playfully as he gestures for me to take the empty chair next to Kai.

I rolled my eyes at him and exasperatedly sat next to Kai without any other choice. He continued to eat his own share of meal, as I grabbed my own. The awkwardness between us was so obvious that we couldn’t even do any exchange of words.

Dad cleared his throat as he placed the broadsheet he was reading beside him. We all looked at him, expecting him to say something important. “Well, your mom & I, we’re going to be on a week-long vacation in Jeju Island starting tomorrow, so I’m expecting you guys to be in charge of the house until we come back.” He informed us, and mom smiled at him sweetly, which he returned with a sickeningly sweet smile too.

“Mwo? But dad, I’m going on an MT starting tomorrow till Saturday!” Mimi complained with her annoying high pitched wail.

Minhyuk sighs and tells, “And I’m planning on staying in my flat until next week, since we have been working nonstop for another project due by the end of the month.”

Mom and dad suddenly flashed me a worried look.

“Would you be okay being all alone in the house?” Mom asked with utmost concern in her voice.

I wasn’t at all against the idea since I’ve lived for some time trying to ignore their presence. The only thing that’s getting into me is the thought that I’d miss them bad, and that it would really be lonely being alone in an empty house for the very first time. But who am I to hold them back? I can’t tell them the trivial things I was thinking just so I’d gain their sympathy and let them pick an alternative just so I’ll have one of them in the house.

“Of course, I would be.” I told them with a reassuring tone, and mom smiled the slightest as she took my answer positively.

Suddenly, Kai chirps in as if he was already part of the family, “If you want, I can check on her from time to time.”

“Oh no. That would be too much of a hassle! I doubt he can even do that with all that we need to do for school!” I butted in as quickly as possible knowing that Mom and Dad especially trusts Kai more than me, and that my siblings more than like the idea of a Kai staying in the house alone with me for some still unknown reasons.

Mom and dad exchanged knowing looks, and then trail their eyes to me. “Is that so? Then perhaps—“

“I have extra time though!” Kai beams, his smile ecstatic and more than confident than I was.

Breakfast was nice for Kai since he was able to make my parents believe that he was a good fit to watch over me until Saturday, while I was feeling doomed. Who knows what Kai will do? I mean, he can be mean, cocky sometimes, and super nice another time. He’s unpredictable to the ultimate level! And I can’t just simply bear having to stay in one house with him if the situation urges, after what happened between us last night!

Pulling me from my own thoughts, Kai nudged my side, making me look at him. “What?” I cocked a brow at him exasperatedly.

“Don’t lose it.” He tells, as he points at the necklace he gave me. His face a tad serious.

I chuckled mockingly as I held onto the pendant of my necklace. “Why would you keep reminding me not to lose it, as if I’m someone not too careful? You gave it to me so of course I’ll keep it safe!” I confidently told him with a scoff.

But the bastard only laughed, his hand clutching his stomach for dear life. “So I guess, I’m that important to you for you to keep it real safe.” Smart mouth always knows how to annoy me.

I punched his arm to get back at him for the humiliation, and made sure not to look so embarrassed that I actually said something so stupid and cheesy. “W-what I mean is, of course, I’ll take good care of all the things people give me. Just like with Mimi, Minhyuk, and Luhan’s present.” I pointed out.

Kai suddenly groans. His brows meeting in the middle furiously as he mouths out indiscernible curses under his breath. “What did that Luhan guy even give you?!” He inquires exasperatedly.

I suddenly slumped back on the seat rest and smiled as I remembered Luhan’s confession. His honesty. His life. Everything about him is already a gift to me. “Thinking about it, I haven’t really opened his gift after all.” I uttered out, well more like to myself.

Kai scoffs and suddenly grins like an idiot. “I’m sure, he won’t be able to beat what I gave you.” He brags cockily.

“What makes you think? Luhan gave me something nicer more than a cheap necklace someone got me as he was going home.” I jeered, but partly because I wanted to only .

“Mwo?!” Kai’s angry tone suddenly takes me by surprise, and when I looked at him, he looked really pissed. “So, you’re saying that something that you haven’t seen is better than what I gave you?” He utters exasperatedly.

I was too fazed to answer that I opened my mouth only to close it again. Why can’t I tell him that I loved the necklace he gave me no matter how cheap it could be because it was from him? Why can’t I say that I was so happy when he brought me last night to that place? That I loved how sweet he was, and that the kiss we had was something so precious? Why can’t I say that he had given me the best birthday present ever?

Why? I felt myself feel so lost the minute Kai strode off the bus without me. He was clearly in a bad mood and I was the cause for it. It’s because I can never be honest with him. It’s impossible. Getting too attached with him will just make it hard for me for when I leave.

I got down from the bus in clear despair. It’s obvious that Kai’s change of mood affects me so much that I am suffering like this. Why do I even feel this way? Is it because I’ve started to get used to him being nice and sweet? Is it because I’m guilty that I pissed him off? Is it because I’m worried that he won’t ever talk to me again? So many thoughts swirled in my head, but all of it ends up being about Kai.

When I got inside the main building, eyes were on me again, but like the usual I just ignored them. It’s not like killing me with their eyes will do them any good anyway. They will just tire out and leave me alone, that way confrontations won’t be necessary. I dropped by the lockers and saw Kai and his gang. They were talking about hitting on girls tonight at the clubs and stuff that were too disgusting for my poor ears that I decided to cut my trip to my locker short.

I was on my way to the classroom when Baekhyun called me.

Nice timing.

I turned around to face him, but I pulled off a straight face as he came to me. His smile was genuine, I know that, but for some reasons I just find it hard to face him with a smile as days go by. It’s just hard. Maybe because I am starting to doubt him. Starting to lose my faith in him. I don’t even know why I feel this way. Because even if Baekhyun left me for some other girl before, I was okay with it. I loved him from afar and continued to love him until recently. I’m not saying

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter