Chapter 9

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We’ll not force you to say anything since we already heard everything we need to hear from your brother.” Mom told me as we sat in the dining room for breakfast.

“But knowing that you lied to us, it really hurts as a parent that you don’t trust us.” She drawled out with a sad expression, and that made me instantly feel a lot guilty.

I ducked my head down and sighed. “I’m really sorry. I-I just don’t want to trouble you.”

“Oh, honey.” Mom suddenly ran to my side and hugged me tight. “Mom and dad really love you so much like your brother and sister, so don’t think that way. You never gave us trouble, and you always made us proud like your siblings. You always did what is right and what is best, even if you seldom receive praise from us. And I am so thankful for all that.” She told me whilst crying softly on my hair. 

“Our hearts hurt so much right now because we know you were hurt a lot in school, and we weren’t able to do something about it because you never told us. Much worse than that, now we don’t know anymore how we are going to make up for it, because you don’t want those stupid kids to receive punishment.” 

I wrapped my arms around mom’s neck as I started to sob. Finally hearing her true feelings towards me, touched me so much that I couldn’t stop my tears from b down. The words and the love that I had always wanted to receive from her poured out from in one go, and it was enough to make me feel better. All I wanted was for her to notice me. All I wanted was to be cared for the same way like she does for my siblings. And now, I finally understood that all this time, I had that too. I was just too stupid not to even realize that she was already showering me with her love because I was so focused at other things.

“You drama queens, how are we even going to eat breakfast properly, if you cry like that in front of us?” Dad mocked as he gazed at us with a sneaky grin.

Mom and I giggled as we realized that they were all staring at us all that time we were having that heartwarming talk. She gave me one last hug before going back to her seat, and we wiped off the tears that escaped our eyes and grazed our cheeks. Dad told me to eat a lot so I could get stronger and be able to kick butts later on, and that gave us all another one good laugh.

Like nothing even happened, we spent noon watching tv in the living room. Dad decided not to go to work today because he wanted to spend more time with us. But even if he said that, I know that he just wanted to look after me and make sure that I am doing fine even just for a day. Mimi was supposed to go out with her boyfriend, but she decided not to proceed, since she said I was more important than a guy, and that if her boyfriend really likes her he would understand that she chose to spend the day with her sister than him. Minhyuk didn’t go back to his flat since he’s still worried about me. I swear, I assured them that I was already fine, but my family just insisted on being there for me even for a day. And I wouldn’t deny, I am happy that they did all that for me.

“By the way,” Dad suddenly said as we were watching a soccer game on tv, “I called your school today, and told them about wanting transferring you to another school.”

My head instantly shot up to his direction when I heard that. I was surprised that I couldn’t even speak. It was too sudden, and so unexpected that I don’t know how am I going to react. Should I be mad? Or happy?

Dad cocked his head to my direction. “They said it will take a month to process everything, but that it is possible if we want it, so until the end of this month, you will still have to go to that school. But don’t worry, okay? Me and your brother will find a new school for you to transfer in.” He explained with a calm voice.

“But dad isn’t this too sudden?” I questioned, as I felt that it was unnecessary to even transfer me to another school when we’re already half way the school year for Junior year.

Dad furrowed his brows at me as he gave me a questioning look. “Are you implying that you still want to stay in that rubbish school after all that happened?” He asked with a stern voice.

I shook my head and sighed. “No, just th—“

“Then just listen to us, because we know that this will be the best for you. At least, let us do something for you if you don’t want us to get those foolish kids punished.” Dad uttered out with firmness, and turned his head back to the tv screen to end our argument.

Mom gave me a knowing look that told me how I shouldn’t just argue about it, and I fully understood that she just don’t want for dad to get mad at me. I slumped back on the couch thinking hard about how am I going to spend my last days in Seoul High. I know I’m still afraid that it wouldn’t be any different when I attend school again, but I just feel bad that I still have to leave after all the times I had spent enduring everything. This will be the end of my suffering, but it will also mean that I lost to the bad guys, because I was the one to first concede in our game.

Soon, it will be game over for me. I will have to leave school. And those stupid fools will graduate in peace without even learning their lesson.

The next two days, I decided not to attend school again. I just couldn’t. Because I am afraid that I would just get harassed again even just by the other kids. I know that Kai wouldn’t do me harm again, but then I am also worried that he might. And that his friends would. Mom was considerate enough to understand why I am like this, and she told me to just take my time, and that I should go back to school if only I am ready.

“Hey,” Mimi suddenly said, as she leaned on my room’s door frame and looked at me.

I sat up on my bed when I saw her, and beamed her smile. It’s rare that my sister actually greets me before and I don’t like that about her, but I decided to finally be nice towards her since she’s not really that bad. In fact, I probably didn’t just notice, but she’s actually a sweet sister. 

Mimi comfortably came in and sat on the edge of my bed. She turned her body towards me and grinned widely as she batted her lashes at me. “Well, do you perhaps want to go to Hongdae with me today?” She asked with a happy tone.

I looked sideways and pondered about it, but when I heard her plead with a “Please?” and rubbed her hands in front of me in a begging manner, I couldn’t just help but say yes.

“Great! Now get yourself changed young lady! And let’s go shopping till we drop!” She told me as she skipped going to the door, and winked at me one last time before sprinting back to her own room.

I chuckled to myself as I got reminded of her childishness. And I stood up from bed, to search my closet for appropriate clothes for us, sisters’, little getaway. I picked out some plain blue top, ripped jeans and my blue converse to match the color, and changed into them. I let my hair down like the usual and fixed my fringe a little to give it some volume. Makeup isn’t my thing so I left my face bare like the usual. 

I met my sister in the living room, and she looked no less stunning. She was wearing a white flowery dress that reached up to her knee and some sandals to match her outfit. Her hair’s ends were curled up cutely, and her face was adorned with light makeup. Somehow, I ended up envying her, even at small things like that—being pretty so effortlessly, that I would frown.

“Yah!” She slapped my arm harshly to get my attention. “Don’t get too conscious about how you look, because trust me, you look very pretty even without all that I am wearing.” She told me reassuringly.

But I only felt so flustered, because she noticed that I was being so insecure towards her.

“I-I’m not—“

“Com’on, the weather is so nice, so we shouldn’t be spending our time like this. It’s so boring to even think of such things, so don’t think again about you being ugly and such. Be confident little sister.” She jabbered out as she pulled me going out of the house.

We stopped by the path in the middle of our yard and called mom, who was watering the plans in her garden, and told her that we will be hanging out. She smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter