Chapter 44

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Because I'm here to get him back.”

 

I sighed loudly as I rested my head on my folded arms over my desk. Those words still haunted me even after three days, that I haven't had a proper sleep since then, that I keep sighing all the time, that I lost more of my appetite, that I look like a dead zombie right now with my dark eye bags. It bothered me so much. And I don't get why—whether it's because I was jealous by the fact that she was someone who shared a certain past with him based on the way she talked. A girl from his past who looked stunning and confident, intimidating but cute, has that body of a model, a rich man's daughter. She's almost perfect. And the fact that she shared something probably also special with Jongin made my heart clench. They probably had shared many memories, she probably loved him way longer than I did, and he probably actually liked her at some point. Why would she be chasing after him like this if it’s not the case?

 

But why would Jongin also drive her away like that?

 

Or... It’s the fact that I'm threatened by how she uttered out with conviction how she was probably more than willing to take him back that I'm bothered.

 

It . Whether the reason why I'm pondering too much over her words is either of the two or both, I feel like things would start to get rowdy from now on especially that Lee Haera just indirectly declared a battle with me to fight for the right to be with Jongin. I hate being in any fight, much more fight with someone I deem rather more confident to out win me. But if it’s about Jongin, if he’s at stake here, how should I not go against someone who wants to take him away from me?

 

"Who is she to do it her way?" I puffed my cheeks and huffed loudly as I watched the soccer field packed today with boys playing for fun. It was kind of a thing that guy students love to do after classes in our school so it wasn’t new to me. A few spectators, especially girls filled the sides of the field to cheer on their friends. It looked so fun. But I can’t just get on with the hype at all, because of all the things running in my mind.

 

"It's up to Jongin to choose. Not her. So why is she forcing herself on him? Is she that desperate?" I asked myself as I looked away from the window and gazed around the empty classroom.

 

Classes have long finished, my classmates had gone out a long time ago, and even my friends did. But I stayed because I needed to finish some records for my adviser since it was my turn to do class monitoring. I was glad enough to take the task since I really want to empty my mind of unnecessary thoughts, but as soon as I finished doing the record, those thoughts about Haera began invading my head again like a plague.

 

"I hope nothing bad happens." I muttered out.

 

But as soon as I said that, the back door of the classroom flung open and it surprised me to see a panting Suho standing there, trying to catch his breath as he holds onto his knees for support. I abruptly stood up, a bit panicked that he ran all the way here when he can just come after a decent walk. This just meant one thing. And as much as I don't want to draw any conclusion, I know he came to deliver bad news.

 

"Lu-luhan..." He uttered out in difficulty as he slowly trailed his pained eyes at mine. "Luhan fainted. He was playing soccer with the others when—"

 

I didn't let him finish as I felt my heart crack for my best friend. I just realized that my feet were already dragging me towards the field as I felt the need to find him, make sure for myself that I heard wrong because I'm sure he's getting better and he was just fine today. Why does a little work out make him faint? It's the first time after a long time that he played soccer again, so why did this happen to him?

 

I was about to pass the parking lot when I noticed an ambulance parked in an absurd path which was not supposed to be somewhere a driver in his right mind should place his car. A crowd was around them, chattering to themselves about the whole situation. Incessant mentions of Luhan's name here and there rang in my ear, and I wasted no time to slip through the crowd to see for myself if I heard everything clearly. I pushed several people that were on my way, and they groaned and cursed for being pushed around by me. But I really didn't care at the moment. All I needed is to see Luhan.

 

"Luhan."

 

I gasped when I saw the usual cute looking male lying lifelessly on a gurney as he was being settled inside the ambulance by the paramedics. I was in the front now, and I couldn't help but feel horror run through my body as I thought of the worst possibilities to happen. Immediately, I pushed myself forward and shamelessly held onto a medic man's arm to gain his attention.

 

He stopped and looked at me with a questioning look in the midst of the commotion, and I opened my mouth to say something I was desperate for him to say yes to, "I-I'm his friend. Can you please let me come with you?"

 

He narrowed his eyes at me as if he was trying to discern what I just said, but in a quick motion he peeled my hand away from his arms and stared straight in my eyes as if he was just about to tell me to back off. But I was quicker to plead for him to let me come.

 

"Please?" I huffed as I was in the brink of tears, "I'm sure he's going to look for me when he wakes up. I promise I won't burden you. I just have to make sure he's okay."

 

With a sigh, as if it was a cue that he just gave in to my request, he nodded and instructed me to hop inside the back of the ambulance after him. I did as he told me, and I held onto Luhan's cold hand with both mine when I finally settled on a seat. They closed the back door and the vehicle roared to life. We sped up into the traffic with the wailing siren telling every driver the signal that we have an emergency.

 

The paramedics checked his vital signs, hooked him to oxygen when they noticed his rapid and shallow breaths. They checked his blood pressure, but it dropped so bad that they urged the driver to make it quickly to the nearest hospital.

 

"Can you bring him instead to K Hospital?" I suddenly blurted out when I realized how it would be better for him to be admitted there since his doctor, Director Kim, is rather familiar with his situation.

 

"But it will take us longer—"

 

"I know people from that hospital and I can basically ask for them to arrange things for him. His personal doctor is there, and—"

 

"Alright." The guy who allowed me to come before interrupted me and gave me a stern look. "We'll drive there in 10 but make sure to call for proper arrangement." I nodded to his serious command.

 

He turned to his colleague and they exchanged eye signals. In no time the other spoke something over his radio and I felt our vehicle do a left turn. It was more than enough for me to realize that they were complying to my request that I sighed in relief, feeling a huge burden empty my chest.

 

I fished out my phone from my blazer's pocket and called Director Kim to tell him that we'll be coming in 10 minutes to his hospital because Luhan fainted. He didn't ask me what happened and just told me to hang on knowing that I may look calm outside, but deep inside I am having this mental battle with myself not to breakdown in front of anyone when I'm in fact already at my limit. I hate knowing that someone is sick. I feared leukemia for such a long time because I almost died from it. But what scares me the most right now is losing someone so dear to me because of it.

 

We reached K Hospital in no time. The ambulance directed to the back door of the building that would make transport of the patient to the ER easier. Luhan was quickly rolled out from the ambulance with the help of nurses who were already on standby at the entrance. I followed after them but a female nurse that knew me directed me to the waiting area instead.

 

"We'll take care of him." She told me when she assisted me to the waiting area o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter