Chapter 27

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dinner with Jongin’s family wasn’t as awkward and uncomfortable as I had expected. In fact, the table was filled with chatters that were mainly initiated by Jae In & Ha In. Mrs. Kim would occasionally join in their talk, but only with few words, that were yet filled with her wisdom. Mr. Kim never spared any time to talk, but seeing him occasionally glance at the people around him and let out a smile even if it was forced, showed that he was listening. Jongin only exchanged words with me. His eyes were always on his plate, if not on me, as he talks and eats.

“Jae in, are you sure that you are going to move back in?” Mrs. Kim suddenly asked, making all of us turn our attention to Jae In, who looked up and forked pasta from her plate.

“Mmmm.” She hummed as she stuffed with food, “I feel like now is the time to go back. Besides, my university is not really that far from here.” She uttered out before taking a quick glance at Jongin.

Mrs. Kim heaved a content smile and resumed to eating. Ha In was also biting on her own food with contentment. Everyone is happy. And maybe the reason to that is how each of them are starting to reach out to their family.

“Oh,” Ha In suddenly utters as she wipes with a napkin and places it on the table for a while, “Mom and dad, you don’t mind us staying for a couple of weeks too, right?” She asked, beaming the elders a huge grin.

I saw how Jongin’s eyes widened at his sister’s sudden request. And he gazed from Ha In to his parents. His adam’s apple bobbed up and down as he anxiously focused his eyes on his father who looked calm and collected as he nodded his head to his daughter and smiled faintly.

“It’s been a long time since you last stayed for long in the house, so that would be a nice idea. Your mom will be happy.” Mr. Kim said as he trailed his eyes to his wife and smiled at her. Mrs. Kim returned his smile with a sweet one and nodded.

After having our meal, Mrs. Kim asked me to stay longer albeit that Jongin was whining in front of her to let me go. But like how he was ineffective to Ha In, he didn’t win either against his mom. I was sat in their living room, chatting with the women of the house, since Mr. Kim was already in his study, and Jongin didn’t speak up the whole time he was sitting next to me on the couch. Our conversation was filled with things about our families and some girl stuff that the grumpy boy next to me didn’t understand.

“Oh,” Mrs. Kim spoke up, her eyes twinkling as she gazed at me with a smile, “Nana, I’m so much in debt to you. Again, maybe if you haven’t come that day, then we couldn’t have seen Jongin any sooner. So, thank you.”

I smiled at her politely, “It was—“

“You came to our house before without telling me?!” Jongin blurted out as he held on to my arm and made me face him. His face was filled with confusion and he was silently throwing questions at me with his eyes.

“She did.” Ha In answered for me, making Jongin look at her instead. “It was the day before it rained…I guess?”

“Yes.” Mrs. Kim agrees, her eyes were filled with a tinge of playfulness and ecstasy at the sudden turn of topic. “She came for you but unfortunately you weren’t home.” She narrowed her eyes at Jongin and smiled impishly, “And she told us how you didn’t show up for the coming days when you were in fact supposed to be on a sleep over in their house.”

I felt my cheeks blush furiously as I continue to hear Mrs. Kim speak. The faint memory of my unplanned visit to their house and how she was explaining it with a delighted expression made me feel quite flustered and fuzzy.

“So, I asked for her help to find you. I even gave her the address of your studio. And of course, I told her something about the necklace you gave her which you apparently lied about.” Her bluntness was none I’ve seen before, and staring back at Jongin, he looked appalled. Disbelief was written on his face. And as his eyes landed on me, his lips slightly parted as they trembled, and his cheeks instantly turned into a shade of red.

 “S-so, y-you know everything about the necklace before you even—“ I bobbed my head and heaved a small smile at him. He sighed as he clapped his hands on his face to hide his embarrassment.

“Yah~ Kim Jongin, are you okay?” I asked him with a soft voice close to his ear, not understanding why he was acting a little weirdly.

I heard the others laugh, and I glanced at them and saw them shaking their heads at the sight of Jongin looking like that. “Don’t mind him. He’s just extremely embarrassed.” Jae In beamed in between her laughs.

“Yeah.” Mrs. Kim seconded. “He’s embarrassed because I told you what important meaning that necklace beholds.” She giggled as she pointed at me, as if she knew that the thing hanging around my neck is actually what she was talking about even if it was hidden under my blouse.

“Omma!” Jongin whined like a kid in front of his mom, and we all laughed at the way he acted childishly.

When it was a little later that passed, Mrs. Kim sauntered going to the kitchen to prepare tea. I offered her help, knowing that letting her work alone would be very impolite. She taught me how she makes the tea they drink, and told me how each of them preferred a different kind of tea.

“Jongin doesn’t prefer anything in particular. As long as it’s not bitter it will definitely suit his taste.” She tells me as she fills the second cup with the hot aromatic liquid. And I just keep on smiling whenever she mentions Jongin.

“How are you and he?” I pulled away from my own reverie as I heard the question for the second time, and blinked twice or thrice as I racked my brain for any decent answer since this is his mom I am talking to.

“W-well, “ I cleared my throat as the lump forming in my throat keeps me breathless, “he takes care of me a lot.”

“And?”

“Well… I guess, we’re doing good.” I told her hesitantly, “But eo-ommonim, we’re barely a week long in our relationship so I really don’t know what to say.” I felt my cheeks burn as my voice trailed off in the end.

I heard her giggle temporarily, and that made me start fiddling with my fingers. “Don’t worry so much about what I asked. Honestly, Jongin never introduced any girl to us other than you, so I guess you’re not the only one feeling like that. He must be too.” My eyes widened after hearing that.

Did I just hear her right?! Kim Jongin never introduced any other girl to his family other than me?! My insides swirled, and my heart wanted to jump out of my chest in ecstasy,  knowing the fact that somehow I am his first in that sense. Well, not that I have seen him dating anyone before so I don’t really know… maybe I should ask him one of these days. But hey, won’t that make me look like a creepy girlfriend?!

“Well, Nana, can I ask you a favor?” I turned my attention to her at the mention of the word ‘favor’ and I instantly bobbed my head without any doubts even if I really don’t know what she’s gonna ask me to do.

She held out a tray with a cup of tea to me, and I reached for it out of instinct. “Can you bring that to my husband? His study is on the second floor, the first door you will see.” Her voice was so kind and soothing that I couldn’t help but nod even if the favor was making me cringe inwardly.

Me… Mr. Kim?

Heol…

I climbed the winding staircase that was out of view from their living room, and I cautiously took wavering steps as my limbs were trembling. The thought of Mr. Kim doesn’t frighten me, but would always make me feel so nervous—because I can’t really read him in any way. His flat expressions would always hinder me from knowing what he was thinking. And the few smiles he would allow to escape from his lips doesn’t tell much either.

Finally reaching the large double doors of his study, I cleared my throat and hesitantly knocked on his door. The old man told me to come in with his deep voice that was still audible from inside even if I am at the other side of his room. I inwardly prayed for things to work out fine, and when I tremblingly twisted the knob and came in, I felt rather awed. His room was like a huge library—shelves and thousands of books were everywhere. There was a big chandelier hanging high by the ceiling of the room. His desk was at the far end of the room, but what caught my attention the most is the amount of chess boards displayed around like it was an exhibit. They were encased inside glass cases, and the fact that all were made from different kind of materials fascinates me—jade, wood, marble… name it!

“Y-you collected all of them?” I bluntly asked as I marveled the pieces displayed around.

I heard the old man chuckle lowly, and that made me turn my attention back to him. I trudged towards his desk and placed the cup of tea in front of him when I remembered what my real purpose for coming to his study was.

“Sorry about that sir—“ I stopped from speaking when I saw his sharp gaze on me. Did I say anything wrong?

“Please drop the formalities.” He uttered out, his voice was calm. “Just call me the way you did before.”

I bobbed my head nervously. “Ah ne, a-abeonim.”

He displayed a content smile and lifted his cup and sipped his tea. When he lowered it, I was still standing in front of him unsure of what to do since he never asked me to take my leave. He noticed my presence and told me to take a seat, and I did as I was told to even if I wanted so badly to go out of his room already.

“You play chess?” My eyes rounded as I shot my head in his direction, because I never expected him to ask me such a question.

Still, I nodded my head. “Y-yes.”

He smiled contently as he propped his elbows on his desk and clasped his fingers together. “How did you learn?” He asked again.

I gulped before I answered, “When I was young my father taught m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter