Chapter 14

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I left early today, thinking that my plan to avoid Kai would only work if I set my old ways aside for a while. Just until the last day I have to be in Seoul High. Mom and dad left the house after I did, while Minhyuk & Mimi just left at the same time as me. My brother offered the both of us a ride, and I was more than willing to agree to it since it’s the first time we’ll be doing that anyway. We were so loud in the car, singing to a song we know, that was playing on the stereo, and it was one of the best unusual things we ever did.

“Go home right after class and don’t attempt to go anywhere else, alright?” Minhyuk told me before I even got down from the car.

I bobbed my head and smiled reassuringly. “Yes sir!”

Both of them waved at me before speeding away. And I was more than glad that I didn’t have to put a happy front anymore. I walked the path going to the main building at a slow pace with the mindset to sit by the lockers, but decided to go to the field instead at the last minute. I sat on the grass under the oak tree that shaded me from the sun’s bright rays. It was at least comfortable that I didn’t attempt to even hide my smile.

This is great. If only life is as smooth as this moment.

I rested my back on the oak tree, and fumbled in my backpack the gift that Luhan gave me. I haven’t opened it since the very day he gave it to me, and I am just curious as to what it is that I brought it with me. That boy’s not so materialistic when it comes to gifts, so I feel a little excited that I’m finally going to uncover the mystery of his present. I fished the box out from my bag and placed it on my lap. It still looked as cute as ever, that I felt sorry that I have to tear its ribbon and wrapper to pieces. And when I did, I slowly opened the box, only to find a pink folded paper.

“He gave me a piece of paper as a gift?” I mumbled to myself in a mocking manner, and chortled. This is so Luhan.

I decided to open the piece of paper and noticed how it was another letter. One that was long enough to be considered an essay, and not so Luhan-style. He never actually wrote anything for me that was longer than a 20-word long letter, so how come this one’s an exception? I sighed and just decided to read what he wrote for me.

 

To the loveliest, Nana,

You’re surprised right? That I wrote something long this time?

You probably think it’s weird? But I don’t blame you.

This is just so not me, but by this time you know about my condition

and you would know why I wrote you a long one.

But don’t think that this is something like a goodbye letter.

I just want to try expressing myself with words longer than 20 words.

So don’t laugh at me, alright? Don’t laugh while reading or I’ll curse you!

 

We’ve been friends for 4 years, and I am happy that I have actually known you.

You’re a gift that I never asked from God, but still was given to me.

And shortly after that, I realized why He gave you.

It’s because I need you in my life. A friend that is like a lifeline.

I didn’t even realize how important you became to me,

But after learning about my sickness, it seems that I’ve grown to yearn for you

more than I thought I should. Because you’re indeed a special friend.

A friend that gives me strength, and taught me how to hope.

You’re my inspiration. A person I always look up to.

Because you are the most beautiful girl I’ve known all my life.

 

Thank you for being there for me in many ways.

For always making me feel that I am also important.

You’re not my only friend, but I can assure you that you mean so much to me.

So I hope that we’d stay the same. That we’d grow closer now.

 

And not only that.

I hope that this gift will make you happy.

I had actually helped your brother and father find you

a school where you can transfer to, and did you know what I told them?

Why don’t they just enroll you to my school so we’d be together?

So that I can take care of you like the old times?

And that’s when they agreed to the idea. They actually asked for

my help to fill things up for you, and everything’s already arranged.

You just have to appear in our school after this month, and voila!..

We’ll be together till graduation!

 

Are you happy? I hope you are.

Anyway, Happy Birthday!

 

Yours truly,

Luhan

 

After finishing the letter, I felt hot tears brim down from my eyes. Instead of being happy, I was more than sad to remember that I have to leave Seoul High. I have to leave this place that I used to hate the most. I have to leave the people that I gained after fighting so hard to have a place in this school. I have to leave this comfort zone and come to a place that I am even barely familiar with. But most of all, I have to forget the blissful memories and that person who made himself a significant character in my life.

How cruel is fate?

How come I don’t feel happy at all that I will finally get away from my ty life here?! I know that I already knew the answer to that before I even asked myself, and yet I don’t want to believe it. I want to pretend that I don’t know, so that it won’t be too hard for me to let go.

Wiping my tears away, I decided to get in the main building.  Not in a haste or any rush, because I only have to meet another person that will remind me of reality. I walked past hallways that were already filled with students that glared at me, and the lockers where Kai and the rest were already at. I saw him straighten up the minute he saw me, but I only looked away and took quicker steps to get to the principal’s office. I knocked on the door and his secretary greeted me.

“I’m here to talk with the principal about the matters regarding my transferring of schools.” I told her my intentions and she let me in to his office.

Principal Oh was a very fine man, probably in his 60s. He looked handsome despite his age, and I wouldn’t wonder where Oh Sehun even got his looks. This man just exudes the same aura as him, well except for his foolish side. The old man just doesn’t look anything like him in that aspect.

“Sit.” He told me, and let out a smile. One that is warm.

I nodded and took the seat in front of his office table. “I’ve been told by my parents to drop by.” I told him, and he bobbed his head in understanding.

“We’re still processing your transfer papers and other credits at the moment,” He informed me and propped his elbows before interlacing his hands together and resting his chin on them. “But I want to ask you something.”

“Say it.” I uttered out with a stern voice.

He smiled uncomfortably as he stared in my eyes. “Are you already sure about this?”

When those words rolled off his tongue, I wanted to tell him that I wasn’t. That it’s not really me deciding for myself. But I decided to keep quiet about it and just nodded. I wouldn’t let my parents’ hard work go to waste just because I finally found a reason to stay. Just because I am too stubborn to leave even if this school served as my worst nightmare.

“If you say so.” He smiled again. “We’ll try to shorten the pr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter