Chapter 54

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was the last weekend before Christmas break. 3 days from the said day. I wasn't really supposed to go out but someone stubborn just insisted me going on a 'date' with him. Ironically, he insisted to call it a 'date' even if we're just going to meet in a bubble tea shop.

 

How romantic, right?

 

I got out of the house wearing some shirt, jeans, my favorite sneakers, and a thick winter coat to perfect my attire. I wasn't going to flatter myself with some compliments from a guy so just like how I usually would, I dressed up with my most simple clothes. Besides, winter's not the most suitable season to wear a dress or something that would expose the skin on my legs. I'm not like any other girls with 'steel legs' so my date should deal with that or else I'm really going back home the moment he gives me he face that will say it all.

 

"Oi, Kim Nana!" In time, the voice of a familiar lad from across called my name. I cocked my head to his direction and just as I thought it isn't a surprise it's Tao. The others are with him just getting out of their van.

 

I smiled and waved at him. "What are you doing here?" I asked in a friendly manner.

 

He grinned and said, "We're off to somewhere with Kai. How about you?"

 

At the mention of Jongin's nickname I just found myself biting my lower lip because something just rung in my head and I feel like I was about to do something wrong when in fact nothing's to feel so guilty about. Him and I are on talking terms and not in a relationship. So, why it's like going on this 'date' without him knowing makes me feel so uneasy? I'm not cheating or anything, anyway.

 

Remembering my impending meeting, I fished out my phone from my coat's pocket and my eyes widened when I saw the time. Panicked, I looked back at Tao who was still waiting for an answer and just briefly told him I was on a hurry.

 

"Uh, well j-just somewhere with a friend. Anyway, see you guys later. I'm on a hurry since I'm going to be late, so bye!" I jabbered out and mentally slapped myself as I go for spouting nonsense.

 

I jogged the path going out of our neighborhood and walked faster at the side walk since the bubble tea shop I was to meet my 'date' was a few streets from there. Though I was starting to find it difficult to breathe all because of the effort I exerted I still pushed myself and stopped in front of the shop with a fast hammering heart. I held onto my knees as I panted but straightened up myself again before even recovering from the slight exhaustion. I went inside the shop, the chimes by the door tinkling as I slipped in. Looking for a boy with fluffy brown hair, pretty face and a cute dimpled smile, I roamed my eyes from left to right and when I found him I smiled and sauntered towards him. He waved his hand to me when we locked eyes and I shook my head as I giggled softly seeing how casual he just dressed up just like me.

 

"You're no 'steel legs' eh?" He openly teased as I sat on the chair in front of him.

 

I shrugged in response and heaved a small smile. "Well, sorry to disappoint you Lay-ssi. I'm not going to dress up like other girls when it's my legs that are going to suffer in the cold."

 

He chuckled heartily at my response and nodded. "Well, that's what makes you special. How can I ever be disappointed in you because of that? Here..." Was what he said as he pulled something from the chair next to his and showed it to me.

 

My eyes widened in recognition of the familiar flowers in the bouquet he was holding, and as if to ask him what and why he is giving me that, I shifted my gaze from the flowers to him and blinked my eyes repeatedly. My heart beat picked up as he placed the bouquet on the table in front of me and smiled in a playful manner.

 

"Surprised?" He beamed as he propped his elbow on the table and rested his chin on his palm, his eyes showing amusement at my reaction.

 

"Y-you...h-how...w-why—"

 

"I was your 'secret admirer'. The one giving you those bouquets of lilacs until you said you're not going to receive anything from your other admirers." He told me and smiled widely even though I was still sporting an expression of disbelief at him.

 

"Why?" Was the only word that came out of my mouth after he spoke.

 

"Why, you say?" He asked, still smiling. "Well, what do you think?" He said as he folded his arms on the table and leaned closer.

 

I instinctively backed away even though he wasn't that close to me and looked away as I was too flustered to even look at him knowing where this talk is headed. "I honestly don't get you." I lied, in an attempt to not make myself look assuming and whatnot.

 

Hearing him chuckle I looked at him from the corner of my eyes and sighed. "Don't laugh."

 

He nodded repeatedly and smiled. "Well, it looks like you already figured this out but I'm just going to be blunt and say this..."

 

"I like you." I turned my head back to him, eyes wide, cheeks flushed, as I tried to let his words sink in.

 

He likes me. Yixing likes me. He likes me. Since when? How? Why?!

 

"You must be wondering how, why and when, right?" He playfully asked, and I just cleared my throat to appear nonchalant about it even though I was itching for him to explain himself.

 

"I'm wondering... but just 'a bit'." I told him, emphasizing the last two words.

 

He chuckled again, probably he found me too unconvincing. But I just raised a brow at him and pulled off a straight face so he would just spill everything without having the need to embarrass me further.

 

"Alright. Alright." He beamed, seeing me annoyed. "Well, I liked you since 6th grade. Remember that time I gave you those lilacs before I flew back to China?" I nodded to him in response,

 

"Yeah, I was supposed to confess to you that time but I was too shy to even tell you so I just... gave it and left." He sighed and started rubbing his nape as he looked down.

 

"I really had a big crush on you since then because I thought you were very very pretty and kind. I wanted to ask you to be my girlfriend then, even though we were really young, but thinking that I was leaving I just decided not to tell you my feelings." He smiled sheepishly to himself as he got reminded of the old times.

 

"I really didn't think I'd see you again, but when I saw you at the hospital in Luhan's room it's as if something told me it was fate. We were meant to see each other again because maybe there's a special reason to it. I had thought a lot like that and maybe it's when my feelings for you started coming back." He confessed.

 

"I never intended to confess to you knowing that you already have a boyfriend but in one way or another I just want you to know how I feel so I sent you those flowers and stayed by your side as your 'good friend'." He finally said, a sad smile gracing his lips.

 

My lips curved down upon seeing the downcasted expression evident on his face. Who would have thought that he likes me that way? I mean, I appreciated his deeds as a friend. He's very thoughtful to help me in a lot of ways. He was there all the time to cheer me up. He was there to make sure I don't have to see Jongin with that girl when I felt like I was about to break. He was the person I whined in front of when I wanted to see Jongin so desperately. He was there for me, taking care of me when I didn't feel so well. He was there when I couldn't hold my tears anymore and just told me to cry it all out. He was the person that encouraged me the most out of them all. The person who comforted me and made me understand why Jongin could have been like this and that. He was the person who always gives me the big push.

 

He did all that knowing his own feelings for me so well. How could he have felt while doing that just to see me happy? How many times was he hurt? How stupid was I to think he was just doing everything for me so generously just because we are friends? Of course, he won't do so much if I'm not that important to him. He likes me. And I'm an idiot not to know. Perhaps, I am that dense to be so oblivious about what others feel for me.

 

Too dense not to notice the great difference among people's acts nor distinguish their feelings. Or perhaps it's the fact that I am so in love with only one boy that I never intended on knowing what others feel for me.

 

"Yixing," His eyes brightened upon hearing me say his name, "...look, I'm really sorry." I breathed out.

 

He sighed and smiled contently. "It's alright. I know you're going to say that."

 

Feeling quite anxious I started fiddling with my fingers as I try to focus my eyes on him. "I'm really really sorry. I know I'm such a douche now not to like someone like you... I mean, you could be every girl's dream guy. You're handsome, kind, gentle, caring, cool. Trust me, you have everything a girl could ever ask for!" I exclaimed, trying to make him feel better.

 

He chuckled, amused, and crinkled his eyes though his smile won't reach his ears. "You say that but I know it's not what's in me that you're looking for. You're not one of that 'every girl' you are saying, anyway." He uttered out, keeping the smile he faked.

 

"I'm sorry." I said again and looked down feeling guilt rush through my system, "I just think, maybe I'm not the right girl for you. I think you are perfect. Trust me." I told him, as I hoisted my head and looked through his eyes.

 

"But then, I already have someone I love and you know him. You even helped me every time I feel like breaking because of him. You are always there for me." I worded out carefully, "But, Yixing, this time I want you to be happy, and not because of me. I want you to be genuinely happy because you found someone to share that happiness with. It may not be now, but I know you will one day find someone who will love you the same way like you did. It's certainly not me, so I guess we should just see for ourselves who it will be." I bluntly said.

 

A chuckle escaped his lips after listening to every word I told him. His eyes creased and later on latched on mine as a sigh escaped his lips another time. "I swear, even if you just rejected me on the face, I can't help but just fall harder for you." He blunted out in return as he showed me a giddy smile.

 

I scratched my temple as I felt my cheeks burn from utter embarrassment hearing him talk like that in front of me. "Well, too bad for you because I'll just keep rejecting you." I retorted mindlessly.

 

"Ouch." He clutched on the portion of his shirt where his heart lies and pretended he was deeply hurt. "Are you saying you're going to do that because you want me to fall over and over for you?" He teasingly asked making me scoff in disbelief.

 

I crossed my arms and raised a brow at him. "Do you perhaps want to get whacked on the head?" I mocked.

 

He mimicked my position and smirked impishly. "Try me." That was when I snapped.

 

I stood up in an attempt to hit him on his head but he had beaten me to it as he quickly run away out of the shop. I rushed behind him, his steps going faster as we ended up in a childish chase in the streets of Seoul. Our laughter echoed as we continued to run until we were out of breath. We held onto our knees as we panted, smiles gracing our lips as we looked at each other.

 

"We're still friends, right?" He asked in between huffs.

 

I slapped his arm and smiled. "Of course, silly!"

 

"But since we're still on a date, you don't mind me taking you somewhere else, right?" He uttered out, an amused grin, wider than what he had before, was on his lips.

 

"Okay." I responded, seeing that he looked like he wasn't up to something anyway.

 

"Great." He said before tugging on my wrist and pulling me towards the bus stop where we took our ride going to that 'somewhere' he wanted to take me to.

 

"Where are we even going?" I asked, a bit curious as to why he seemed so excited with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter