Chapter 4

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“But shall we play a little with ourselves? Just the two of us?”

 

That was the threat. And even though I was already shaking in so much fear and rage mixed together, I still have that part of me that wants to punch Kai square in the face. At least, I may be a coward but at the back of my mind, I had killed this guy so many times in my head, that if it were to be true, then Kai could have already been grieved upon by his loved ones a thousand of times.

“Ooh.” He mouthed in a teasing manner as one of his hands detached from my hips and traced my jaw with his delicate finger, slowly and lightly, making me flinch, because it felt cold on my skin. “Why are suddenly scared again? Isn’t this what you want? My attention back?” He asked as he leaned forward.

I narrowed my eyes at him and let out a scowl take over. “Who wants your attention? I don’t need it so get off me!” I shouted at him.

Kai chortled, and slowly moved his face even closer to me that his hot breath already touched my cheek. Oh please no. I mentally cried for him to stay sane and not try anything on me as I closed my eyes, but seconds, and a few minutes past and yet there was nothing. All I heard was our breathing, and then he threw a fit of laughter, making me open my eyes abruptly in wonder. Kai was already a laughing mess as he separated from me and clutched on his stomach.

“I-If you have just s-seen your own face… you even actually thought I would k-kiss you for real? Oh com’on! I told you I don’t kiss pigs!” He said in between his laughter.

I was dumbfounded because it was just a bad prank and yet I fell for it again, more than offended that he called me ‘pig’ again and joked about him not going to kiss a pig and such. Why is this moron even doing this to me? I don’t understand at all.

“W-who would even want to kiss an ugly girl like you? You don’t even dress to impress, nor put make up to at least hide your ugly face? To top it all, your hair is worse than a bird’s nest and your body’s as bad as your face is!” He jested, whilst laughing.

That made me frown even more. Knowing that he was crushing the already cowering confidence left in me, I felt myself look like I was actually dirt. To Kai I am just dirt. I am insignificant whether as a woman or a human, that I am starting to question why he’s like that. Could he have not been raised properly by his parents? Was he misguided? Or is he rebelling that he’s doing all this? Or perhaps he was just born a bad kid?

“What did I even do to you for you to treat me this badly?!” I was cowering against him again. I know.

Kai’s laughter faded and he threw me shooting glares once more as he crossed his arms and let his cold aura take over. “You know what? I keep asking myself that too. What did Kim Nana even do to me that I couldn’t stop from making her life worse than hell?—Ah. But then I remember that day… the very first day you defied me. That day in the rooftop. Since then, did you know that you became my favorite?” He told me as he came closer and slapped my cheek lightly.

I swatted his hand away and attempted to punch him, but he caught my wrist that I was dragged closer to him. “Why can’t you just stop?! Why can’t you forgive something so measly like that? I don’t understand at all! I’m so tired! I can’t do this anymore.” I told him as hot tears finally came out from my eyes, again in front of him.

Kai’s hardened facial expression slowly fell, and his eyes of slits widened a bit as he trailed his vision to the flowing clear liquid down my cheeks.

“Should I just kill myself so all of this will end? Should I just do that?! I’ll hang myself, or perhaps jump off the rooftop? Should I?” I asked him challengingly in a sarcastic way, but he only stared back at me with eyes that killed my insides.

I pushed him away, and he almost stumbled back when I tried. I was freed, and I was huffing and puffing air in and out as I tiredly looked at him again. Not long after, I was already on my feet, walking away with the rooftop in mind. I honestly don’t know where my sanity went, but all I could think of was dying, but I was held back by the arm. Kai yanked me back that I fell flat against his chest. The weirdest part though is that he actually had his arms enclosed around me when he caught me. I was stunned, because I don’t know if it was just me or, Kai was actually hugging me.

But then, someone’s phone rang, and Kai automatically pulled away and fumbled in his pockets for his phone. He looked at the screen and he seems back into being irritated again when he saw who the caller was. He then looked back at me, and then stared back at his phone in confusion, probably contemplating on whether who he should attend to first.

A sigh escaped from his lips when he looked at me again, and looked away as he slid his thumb on the answer button. “Get lost, before I even change my mind.” Was what he said before actually answering the call.

I stared at him with confusion, because he actually let me escape for the first time. And what is the call even about that he couldn’t just simply let it go? It seemed important, that I couldn’t stop myself from being curious. But then, amidst my own pool of thoughts, I opt to comply with his words and sprinted off.

I went back to class considering that I am half of the time late, and asked for my teacher to excuse me for today because I was not feeling well even though it was just a lie since I don’t feel like attending the rest of the classes after what happened.

Monday, seems not a good day after all. Well, all days of the week except for the weekends aren’t either.

The teacher allowed me to be excused, since I don’t really have any bad record in his class. And though he looked like he doesn’t believe me at all, he told me to rest at home and come tomorrow. I bowed at him before getting out of the room, and strutted down the long corridors with careful strides. It has been a long time since the last time I had this kind of peace actually. A place void of people has been my joy, because it’s the only place where no one would actually make me feel that subtle and persistent feeling of being out of place. I continued down to the grounds, and enjoyed the still warm air blow on my hair, but I stopped when I saw Kai going back from the distance. He seemed distracted due to the creases on his forehead, but nonetheless he still has a scowl plastered on his face.

He looked up abruptly, and stopped in his tracks too when he saw me. He looked at my face and his eyes narrowed when he saw me holding the straps of my backpack that were already slung over my shoulders, and opened his mouth to speak. But I had no care whatever that he was going to say, that I just walked past him like I didn’t even see him.

My heart was beating like crazy when I knew that I was already meters away from him, and I felt victorious that I was brave enough even for once to ignore him again. That should be it Kim Nana. Just ignore him. Kai doesn’t exist, so ignore him.—I chanted another mantra in my head as I was out of hell… I mean, the school grounds, and rode the bus going home.

I was dropped at the 3rd stop where my neighborhood is, and I strutted towards the straight path where it leads to my house. My mother was the one to greet me when I got home, and she was shocked that I was early, that I even have to explain to her a couple of times that I don’t feel well, and the teacher allowed me to skip because of that. Other than a couple of nagging, she stopped when I was already climbing up the stairs, so it was peaceful again.

“Did you skip again?” I was shocked that I jumped when I heard my brother speak out of nowhere.

“Oppa!” I chided as I was clutching on my chest for dear life.

My brother, Minhyuk chuckled at my reaction and ruffled my hair to welcome me. “I’m sorry. I was just surprised to see you home this early.” He told me and let me go.

I shook my head in disbelief and slapped his arm playfully as I deemed his way of greeting me unnecessary. “I was excused… but please stop surprising me the next time.” I told him as I strode off going to my room.

I plopped down onto my bed as I got inside my room and let my bag fall to the wooden floor. It made a soft thud, and I shifted to my side as I curled on the comforting mattress as I closed my eyes and prayed that I would be able to get good sleep.

After that day, something weird obviously happened. Every day, I would come to school and go home from school without facing much of a disaster. Kai didn’t actually bother me at all, and though I would often come across him, he would just pass by me as if I was just air. That continued for a couple of days, and I couldn’t stop from wondering whether I actually did something to finally make him realize what he was doing to me was wrong. I know the feeling was overwhelming. I was happy. But I also feel that something is wrong, maybe because Kai isn’t bothering me at all. Am I missing his bullying ploys? No~! No way in hell. I should be relieved, but I just couldn’t stay still about it.

“Did you hear?” I heard a student say, as I was in front of my locker getting some of the books that I needed.

“What is it?” another student asked her friend who was beside her whilst twirling strands of her hair with her finger.

“Kai…” The other said, making me draw a close attention to their conversation as I was pretending that I was still picking up more books. “I heard that he’s going to be absent for about a week starting today.”

“Mwo?!” The one she was talking with uttered out in surprise, at the same time that I asked that in disbelief in my head.

I cocked my head to the side to get a good view of them and saw one of the girls nodding her head in assertion that what she said was true. “I heard Chanyeol oppa say that his father actually collapsed, and that he’s taking leave from school to take care of him.” She informed the latter before closing her locker.

I instantly whipped my head back to my locker when I heard the clink her locker door made and just remained listening to their conversation before even taking off for class.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter