Chapter 18

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The pits of my stomach started to churn even more the longer I stared at Soojung's fiery eyes. They spoke of hatred much to my expectation. And her words stung my skin more than what her slap did. 

 

It slowly dawned upon me what she meant—do I really have something to do with their break ups? my lips as I felt my feelings starting to tangle up, the bitter taste in my mouth told me that guilt has been knocking on my window. I don't really get the whole idea of her issues but I do get the gist of it—she's blaming me for something I know nothing of. Yet, I'm uncertain whether I really did nothing to be the reason for their blooming romance to come to an end.

 

All I did was hang out with the people who accepted me as a friend. On top of that, I was being hard on Baekhyun and not even trying to act as if I desperately want his attention. And about Kai... we did really weird things lately, but it's not like it all happened because I had motives or that I planned it. It just happened that way. I wasn't even acting by my mind, but instead, I was just following my heart. So, why the hell am I the one at fault here?

 

"You even have the guts to show your face now after all you've caused us?!" My face contorted at her remark. Shouldn't I be the one saying that to her?

 

"You ! Until when will you do this? Until when are you going to steal our boyfriends huh?!" Soojung bit her lower lip and clasped her hands over as she started to sob like she was the damsel in distress who got hurt by me. Since when have I become that kind of person she's trying to make others believe? 

 

I watched as the people crowding us threw disgusted glares at me. But being tired of being the passive victim that I was, I gazed at them with a head held high and with unwavering eyes. 

 

"I know, I did nothing wrong. I am fully aware of that." I blurted out, determined to get it to her head that I am not a fool to fall for her trap. She thinks she can take me down with her lies? No way. Not now. Not ever.

 

Her eyes widened at my unexpected way of answering her, and her face turned to a scowl immediately. "Tch. Such a —"

 

"What did you say about her?!—" Chanyeol attempted to come closer to Soojung, but Chen and Tao held him back. 

 

"Let me go!"

 

"Channie, she's not worth it so don't go tainting your knuckles with her blood!" Tao scolded the latter, reminding the said boy to maintain his sanity.

 

Chanyeol smirked bitterly at Soojung. One that contained his unwanted hatred for her. "You know so well how you're the real here don't you? Weren't you the one sleeping around with men even when you were still with Baekhyun?! Weren't you the one who cheated on him?! While this girl didn't even do anything to deserve herself getting called a ?!" My eyes widened in shock at his revelation.

 

So all this time... to Soojung it's not only Baekhyun? To top that, she slept with other men—then that disgusting image of her and Kai replayed in my mind. It made me cringe, because as much as I don't want to think about it I didn't like the feeling those memories gave me. It's disgusting. And to think Kai fell for her trick and almost fulfilled doing unimaginable things with her, I just wish I can clean him off of Soojung's touch on his body. I just... why am I even thinking like this?! Instead of thinking about him I should feel sorry for Baekhyun.

 

"Oh, now you're suddenly mute?!" Chanyeol said with a dark tone as Soojung stared back at him with a weary expression. She looked very much appalled to be spoken about like that, having the truth behind her mask unravel in front of the many gossiping spectators.

 

"I—" 

 

"You think Baekhyun didn't know about it all?" Chanyeol spats back again, interrupting Soojung.

 

The said girl's eyes widened even more. "O-oppa knew? But he—"

 

"He perfectly knew so well but he didn't say anything because he cared for you more than you think he did!" Soojung bit her lip as her trembling eyes started to fill with tears. A look of guilt filled her.

 

"But all this time... all this time... I know perfectly he never loved me..." Her voice was soft that even one could barely hear her, and yet I know her words have been wrapped with sadness.

 

Chen suddenly appeared next to me, a smirk tugging on his lips. "We don't really know so much about what you and Baek had because he didn't speak much about it, but we know how he gave you respect and treated you nicely. He was at least human enough not to do what you did to him." His tone was calm and yet I can tell how sharp his words are to make Soojung display that sour facial expression she has. It probably hit her deeply.

 

"Y-you don't just go rubbing those things in my face, because you don't know how horrible he was to me!" She spitefully shouted out as a tear rolled down her cheek. 

 

"Such an ungrateful ." Tao cursed under his breath.

 

"Call me whatever you like but you can never change the fact that he only dated me because of that !" An accusing finger was pointed to me. My face scrunched even in confusion. I just don't get her point with why she's even involving me with their matter.

 

In a matter of seconds, Soojung lunged at me and gripped on my collar harshly. I was taken aback by her action but nonetheless I expected so much hostility from her since she never really liked me.

 

Her fiery eyes didn't waver despite her tears and she gritted her teeth at me as she restrained herself from hitting me with her raised hand. At least she was still thinking. And I did not even once blink nor tore my gaze from her since I decided to face her head on. This is my chance to show her—them that I can also stand for myself.

 

"You don't know how much I hate you for even existing." She told me with spite in a low tone.

 

I displayed a content smirk to intimidate her and it seemed like it worked since her face contorted the way I expectend it to. "I am well aware how much you hate me. Hate me to the point that sometimes I can't help but think that you're mistreating me because you are just... insecure." I emphasized my last word though it was just a bluff—a half meant thought, since I just can't help but sometimes think like that about my bullies. I mean, what else could be their reason to say and do rude things to me other than that? 

 

"Oh, you didn't just say that!" She growled, her grip on my collar tightening.

 

I still maintainend the smirk I had on my lips. One that was in a way unnerving. "But I just did." I told her cockily, and I abruptly received the hardest slap in my whole life unprepared. It stung like hell, that it aggravated me to the point that I had the courage to slap her back with an equal force.

 

Soojung looked at me with wide eyes while holding the side of her face where I had landed a slap on. I huffed as I glowered at her, my chest rising and falling in difficulty as I slowly started to feel so breathless with the boiling anger that invaded my whole system and drained all the power I had.

 

"I-I've had enough of you." I uttered out softly with a stern voice, and closed my eyes to bring my rational self back, but failed to do so as my emotions got the best of me. "All this time I've endured being the victim in your game. All this time I've received all your harsh words and deeds without being in the offensive because I thought you would stop if I just ignored you all. I've up being called names, on top of that being called a when I didn't even do anything to deserve being treated like one!" My voice trembled as I couldn't bring myself to calm. 

 

"I don't even understand why you all stooped so low just to see me suffer." I scanned my surroundings and shoot everyone dagger glares that somehow made them look so scared and made them avert their eyes.

 

"You rich bastards, popular idiots, and students who follow total dimwits! Why the hell are you making my life a living hell?!" I screamed it all out that my throat was already burning. But the shocked expressions they showed me made a content chuckle escape from my lips.

 

"I didn't know that the prestigious Seoul High only admitted a bunch of brainless losers. On top of that recruited a cheerleader who's a ! Why are you even dragging me in your issues? I'm not the one who slept with so many guys aren't I? So stop putting the blame on me as if I really did something!" I told her with all the bottled up emotions I've had for all those times I had suppressed them.

 

Soojung didn't one bit like any of what I said. I know that. After all that rolled off my tongue, what more should she feel for me? The darkening of her expression answered my question. She for sure hates me even more with every fiber in her body.

 

"How dare you say those things!" Her threatening tone and offensive stance finally made me cower inwardly since I'm not really one to be so sure what to do in cases where strength or violence applies. Most often, I panic or I just don't fight back. So, I don't even know how I managed to slap her square on the face.

 

She raised her hand in the air in an attempt to hit me, and I closed my eyes to receive the blow, but seconds... a minute passed and yet there was nothing that made contact with my face. 

 

I opened my eyes, curious as to why nothing had hit me and to my utter surprise, someone whose back was facing me—with the familiar messy hair and arrogant aura, blocked Soojung's blow. He had his grip firmly wrapped around her tiny arm.

 

"Soojung, you better not hurt her in any way again, or else I don't know what I can really do to you." He told her with finality and spite in his tone before he reluctantly freed her arm that the latter instantly massaged probably from the pressure his grip had.

 

Kai whirled around, his glare piercing at every individual around us. He never looked at me that way, but the way his eyes looked at the rest made me feel frightened even if it wasn't meant for me.

 

"The same goes for everyone of you, so don't try pulling any stunt on her or else you'll see yourself in hell." He was serious. I know just by the way he warned them that he will stick to his words. Albeit being worried of his capabilities to get back at them, a tiny part of me was happy—because Kai defended me. The person who used to be against me, defended me. My savior.

 

A parade of frantic bows and silent agreements filled the corridors. In no time, Kai reached for my hand and he pulled me out from the horde of gossiping students. He pulled me until we are finally away from everyone's earshot. Our footsteps that hit the marbled floor are the only thing heard at the moment until he halted and I did the same. A deep sigh escaped his lips and he ran a hand frustratedly on his hair before whirling around to face me.

 

A tinge of shock showed on his face though he immediately covered it up with a calm expression as his eyes observed me. He raised his hand and cupped the sides of my face gently, his thumb lightly caressing the areas where it still stings. Kai's expression softened as his gaze remained on me, worry was all that his face showed.

 

I feel bad that I always made him worry, that I lowered my head and avoided his gaze. 

 

"I'm sorry that I was too late." He breathed out as he tilted my face and made me look at him. I reluctantly raised my head & remained only silently watching him as he closed his eyes and pressed his forehead against mine. Our warm breaths mixed as we exchanged no words. But the silence was enough to cover for our unsaid thoughts.

 

We remained like that for sometime before Kai enveloped me in his gentle embrace. It felt weird to be doing that with him in the school corridors, but it felt no less comforting. His warm touch was enough to make me feel secured. 

 

"Did you slap her back so hard that her cheek stung more than yours do?" The playfulness in his tone made me giggle briefly.

 

"Mmmm. I guess so... cause she got really mad at me." I told him with a small voice. One that was shy yet proud to tell him what I did.

 

He chuckled in return. So I believe he's now just amused that I actually did that. "Truth is, halfway through, I listened to you giving her a piece of your mind. I was so amazed and proud tha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter