After Story 2

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After 2 years

 

"Ah, look how pretty my daughter is." Mom exclaims as she frames the sides of my face with her hands whilst looking at me with much fondness and longing.

 

Somewhat flustered by her compliment, I felt my cheeks flush against her warm palms—doubling the burning sensation on my skin. Hearing her say that, I could tell that she was starting to become overly dramatic again—since the first time she became so emotional, that it almost looked like a scene from a drama, was when she first heard of the news of the wedding taking place today from 5 months ago.

 

I scrunched up my nose in distaste when she started fondly fixing my already styled up hair for me as if there was still imperfection left after the stylist just did her job on dolling me up. Mom noticed the change in my expression, but she only smiled gently like always.

 

"Very pretty." She breathes out as she wanders her eyes over my face.

 

"You said that today for the seventh time already, eomma." I informed her as I was still not used to her saying good things about me a lot today. And besides, she has been complimenting me like a record that was on repeat, that I can’t help but count how many times she’s been saying the same thing over and over.

 

She beams me a patient smile and nods. "I know. I know. It's just that I couldn't stop looking at you on this very special day." She says, and I immediately understood why she's being that extra emotional and extra attentive today.

 

Heaving out a sigh, I showed her a smile and hugged her, "It's alright. I know you're being overly emotional today because of the wedding." I tried comforting her with words.

 

She chuckled in return and wrapped her arms around me protectively. "I just couldn't believe that I am about to let go of one of my children in a few more hours from now. How can I even live without one of the 3 of you in the house?" Mom says as she breathes out her last words with a croak as she tries to hold her tears in.

 

Feeling sympathetic towards her motherly instinct coming out at the moment, I rubbed her back to coax her. "We're old enough to direct our lives but always remember that it is where our parents are that we will always go back to." I told her sincerely this time as I placed strands of her hair behind her ears and looked into her eyes as if seeking for understanding.

 

She releases a quite smile and then rubs my arms while heaving me a longing gaze that were sending me secret messages I would probably never decipher. But one thing is for sure, she can't still get used to the fact that one of her children today will finally get married, that’s why she’s like this—emotional and reluctant, scared yet excited.

 

"Why don't you just visit oppa in his room? I'm sure he'll be glad to see you." I suggested with a small smile, knowing that she did everything she can today to delay ever meeting him.

 

At the mention of my brother, her eyes easily trembled as if she wanted to cry at this very moment. "Eomma, you're not going to cry right now, alright? You don't want to ruin your makeup, hm? This is such a happy day so don't get so worked up about the wedding." She smiled wryly in front of me but bobbed her head in response.

 

"Now, now..." Turning her around, I opened the door for her and pushed her out of the room, "Spend the rest of the remaining time with oppa. I know this is what you want to do ever since stepping in this room."

 

Shaking her head, a smile graced her lips as she furrowed her eyebrows at me. "Did you just kick me out of this room Kim Nana?"

 

I chuckled at her futile attempt to look strict. "Well, yes I just did, eommonim. Now, if you will excuse me. I still have to change into my gown for the day." I playfully winked at her before waving goodbye and then closing the door behind me. I leaned tiredly on the door and sighed to myself when I was finally alone again.

 

Truth is, I am as nerve-racked as my mom. I just don't want to show her how anxious I am that this day has finally come. This day when one of us will get married. This day when one of us will have to say a short goodbye to the family we grew up in so we can build our own family. This day when one of us will have to leave the home we were nurtured in to take care of another—that one of us has promised to love and dedicate his life to.

 

It's crazy how fast we grow old like this when it just felt like yesterday when we were first born. I never thought there would come a day when one of us would have someone else to take care of them, someone else he would wake up to in the morning, someone else to make him meals during the whole day, someone he would be tied to till eternity. It's weird. It really feels weird to witness someone finally getting married, especially if it’s someone dear to you.

 

"Hey, Nana, why aren't you still in your gown?" Mimi suddenly appeared out of nowhere whilst drying her hair with a towel.

 

Realizing what she just said, I strutted towards the closet where I hanged the gown I am going to use today. I pulled the gown along with its hanger and then went to the shared bathroom Mimi and I have been using since we share the same room at the hotel we were all booked in, in Mr. Kim’s name, since yesterday.

 

"Nana-ya, do you know where my heels are?" She asked as she knocked from the outside of the bathroom.

 

"I think it's just inside your closet. I remember you putting it in there last night." I answered as I was just removing my robe.

 

"Oh, thanks." She said, "Wear that thing and come out quick so I can see what I can do more on you."

 

"Yeah, sure."

 

I carefully wore the dress from above my head and pulled it down over my body to fit it on me nicely. It was a customized pastel pink strapless gown that was especially picked by Jae In for me. I'm not really a fan of pink but since this is a very special day for all of us, I am once and for all succumbing to all their plans even if I’m already itching to get out of this too girly piece of clothing right here and right now.

 

I gazed at my own reflection in the mirror and gulped when I saw how exposed my shoulders and arms were. It may be the 21st century right now, but I am as much conservative as my mother and my grandmother when it comes to clothing. I hate exposing skins, I hate flaunting myself to anyone, but what I definitely hate the most is appearing too lady-like—the reason why I’m always in shirts and pants. I would easily feel troubled walking in the midst of a crowd wearing a skirt or a dress, but what more if I’m to walk the aisle in this stuffy gown? I’d probably trip down if someone wouldn’t assist me during the processional and I bet the countless practice we had wouldn’t even be any bit of help.

 

But yeah, since I’m here already, might as well try and be a true lady for once. I just hope, I wouldn’t have to embarrass myself in front of too many people.

 

Walking out of the bathroom, my eyes widened when a bunch of boys were already sitting by the couches in the receiving area of our room. They were talking animatedly to each other as if they are just here for some reunion, casually hitting each other as some of them blurt out jokes that weren’t even funny.

 

“Oh great you’re finally out.” Mimi, out of nowhere, appeared as she was hooking around her neck her favorite silver necklace.

 

She strutted behind me after concluding that she was already done with herself, and although I understand that she was just zipping up my dress from behind, hearing her blabber good things about me at that moment made me feel utterly flustered to the core since it’s not just the both of us in the room.

 

“Perfect! You look perfect little sis!” She slapped my back a little too much that I leaned forward, almost stumbling down.

 

“I don’t really have to do anything on you. So now, it’s time to do my own makeup.” She giggled to herself before finally proceeding to the bedroom that was a door away from where I and the boys are.

 

Looking back at the said males, twelve heads have been intently shooting me with quite meaningful gazes for heaven-knows-how-long. Some were simply pulling off a face full with scrutiny that soon softened, a smile graced their lips, and then I felt nothing but relief. Some though, were as unreadable as they had never been, eyes rounded in fascination, mouth pressed to a thin line. The lasts were just blushing, although I could say that I was just mirroring their reactions. For a brief moment, when I locked eyes with the six people (—Sehun, Baekhyun, Kris, Yixing, Luhan & Jongin) I’m actually most anticipating for with an approval, I thought I had stopped breathing since they weren’t saying anything. Even they were just staring at me that I found it so awkward.

 

“Uhm…” I tried tearing away the awkwardness but I couldn’t really say anything that could make sense so I just scratched my arm consciously while still staring at them.

 

“Well,” Baekhyun beamed—finally, “Wow… you sure you’re not the one walking last? Because you certainly look like the bride-to-be to me.” He said as a wide smile tugged on his lips. Feelings somewhat flustered, I just blinked at him as I forced myself to let everything he said sink in my head.

 

Chanyeol purposely hit his friend’s chest with the back of his hand making Baek groan in frustration. “Better not stare at her too much while complimenting her Baek. He’s here watching all of us.” He pointed at the suddenly grumpy looking boy at the end of the other couch he, Yixing, Kyungsoo and Sehun were sitting at.

 

“Oh,” Baekhyun only mouthed and grinned sheepishly at the grumpy boy. “Sorry dude, I just got carried away too much.” He confessed, but the said boy only heaved him a nonchalant look and then looked somewhere else.

 

Yixing laughed as he patted the grumpy boy’s back and beamed me his infamous dimpled smile, “You’re definitely gorgeous. He just can’t say it since Baek had beaten him to it.” He said, but then the boy just nudged him and gave him a look.

 

“Yeah.” Kyungsoo seconded. “Kai’s definitely turning grumpy because Baek is beating him in everything.”

 

“Tell me about it Soo.” Jongin suddenly mocks as he scowls at the latter, but Kyungsoo seems unaffected about it. Jongin’s not the scariest thing to him, obviously.

 

Sehun then giggles at the scene,” Screw you Baek. Now, Jongin’s glaring at everyone who badmouths him.”

 

“Well, sorry about it again.” Baekhyun says, still looking as kind as ever at Jongin’s direction.

 

“It’s fine.” Jongin responses, only in gritted teeth though.

 

“Well, you don’t seem very much forgiving right now.” Kris blurts out coolly as he crosses his one leg over the other.

 

“Geez, jealous guy.” Tao added and then guffawed.

 

“I dare you to say that again Tao.” Jongin jeers at the panda boy. In an instant, Tao hides deeper on the couch next to Kris.

 

Amidst the whole pointless drama, Luhan was up on his toes. He was clad in a crisp black suit that was almost identical to the one the other eleven were wearing. He was more handsome and manlier today. Not that he was any less handsome in normal days, just that he looked too sharp today that I couldn’t identify the features he has that made him always look so cute. On his mark, without anyone noticing, he made his way towards me and hugged me. Feeling happy to finally be able to get this much close to him after so many weeks we haven’t seen each other—due to our heavy school load, I indulged myself to his warmth.

 

“You’re very very pretty, princess.” He uttered out with his gentle voice chiming in my ears. “I bet, if I didn’t know who would be getting married today, I’d assume that you’re the beautiful bride too.” I felt my cheek burn even more upon hearing his words.

 

“Well, honestly, I don’t think I look all too presentable.” I laughed dryly.

 

“You sure you had looked at yourself in the mirror?” He mocked, but I still replied with a nod.

 

“Are you freaking serious?!” He exclaims in disbelief, and I still nod.

 

He abruptly pulled away and furrowed his eyebrows at me, “There’s seriously something wrong with your brain, cause we can all tell that you looked so pretty and yet—“

 

“Yes, she’s pretty.” Jongin appeared behind him so suddenly that I gasped in surprise,

 

“But Ms. Pretty is apparently going to walk down the aisle arm in arm with me. So, now if you would please excuse us?” He raised an eyebrow at Luhan, but the way how pissed he appeared just only made the latter and I to exchange knowing looks and chuckles.

 

“He’s definitely a jealous case.” Luhan beamed as he pats my arm before turning back to Jongin and then giving his shoulder a pat too.

 

“He sure is. But I’m used to it.” I retorted with an amused smile playing on my lips. Jongin only his lips as he looked away from my probing gaze.

 

“But, did the others just left us?” I heard Luhan say.

 

Peeking at his direction from in front Jongin’s tall stature, I saw how the couches were already emptied and that the double doors to our room were already partly opened.

 

“I guess they just did.” I uttered out.

 

“You didn’t notice because you were definitely enjoying hugging him.” Jongin nonchalantly uttered out as he squinted his eyes at me.

 

“Jealous, are we?” I clapped my hands over the sides of his face and squished it like I would always do to make him smile. “Are you? Are you?” I bugged him, making him breathe out a smile I have been meaning to make him show.

 

“Well, a bit but not really since I’m your ?” He proudly says.

 

Gaining his full confidence back, he smirked at me as he placed a hand at the small of my back. “They can c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter