Chapter 12

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I started counting down the days left when I realized how I don't have much time. Just when everything is starting to change for a better turn in my life, I know, sooner or later that I wouldn't be able to escape my fate. After 3 weeks and 3 days more, I have to leave Seoul High.

 

Perhaps dad will send me somewhere far. In a new school where no one in Seoul High would even find me. A place where I would be able to start anew without having to worry about the people I left would be nice then. I just don't want to leave any trace if I will be gone by the time that each of us had finally learned how to care so much for each other. Because I would feel bad if I see my 'friends' sulk over my departure.

 

That's why, I will leave without letting them

know. I will be going away and leave no trace, so everyone can live after it thinking that I was just a passing. Like the wind that blew and left.

 

I got out of school still thinking about what I have to do for when I leave. It's just that, I want for it to be perfect, for it to be flawless, so no one would ever be able to hold me back. Because I can't turn back. This is the choice that my parents made, and I fully understand how this all for the best, that I didn't argue anymore over it.

 

"Nana!" Chen shouted from the distance by the gates as he was waving at me.

 

I smiled when I saw how everyone was there, though I still find it weird how we're all starting to hang out now. Old enemies are now friends. Can you believe that happened in real life to me? Impossible, right? It's like saying how the moon can be square even if it's round, or how a crow can turn white even if it's made black. But that happened still, because life brings many possibilities. Possibilities that we just have to discover.

 

I was on my way to meet them, when another figure across from them caught my attention. I halted and exchanged smiles with him, and strutted towards him without any hesitation when he called me.

 

"Luhan!" He had spread his arms wide to receive me in a warm hug, and I indulgingly went to his embrace as I have missed him so much.

 

We pulled away from each other, and for a minute held our smiles on our lips. But not until Luhan's curved down into a frown, and made me realizer that he didn't just come here to greet me.

 

"I heard from your brother." He hinted, and that's when I figured out what he was talking about.

 

"I'm sorry for what happened." His head lowered as he rubbed the back of his neck and sank deeper into his worry over me.

 

I released a chuckle that made his head whip back up, and his doe eyes stared at me with confusion.

 

"That was all in the past. You shouldn't worry so much." I told him as I placed my hand on top of his head and gently ruffled his hair.

 

A small smile crept on his lips at my reassurance, but a hint of sadness still lingered on his face. I knew then that he has more to say. Since Luhan wouldn't come to me without any vague reason. We've been friends for so long that I know so much about him, especially when something troubles him. And he knows how I would easily figure it out that he doesn't hold back when he's with me.

 

"Do you want to go somewhere and talk?" I offered, knowing that he won't initiate talking about his own issues, if I don't even press him to do so.

 

Luhan smiled smugly and bobbed his head to answer. "But then what about your friends?"

 

I mentally facepalmed myself when I remembered the boys who happened to wait for me. I turned back to them with an apologetic grin, and though I was starting to get anxious because some of them don't looked kind of pleased, I took all the courage to speak.

 

"Uhm, I'm sorry but I guess I won't be able to hang out with you today." I shouted out, hoping that they wouldn't get mad.

 

Chanyeol suddenly groaned and crossed his arms. "Wae?! Wae?! Can't we just come with you?"

 

"Right! Who is that guy anyway?!" Chen shouted out whilst pointing a finger at Luhan.

 

I scratched my head in confusion as to how was I going to answer. They sure won't let me go not unless I give them something that won't be too vague. So, I held Luhan's arm and brought him with me as I strutted towards the boys.

 

I heaved a deep sigh as I calmed myself and smiled widely as a front. "Everyone, this is my closest friend, Luhan."

 

Luhan let out a smug smile and bowed in front of them. "Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Luhan."

 

"D-did he say that his name was Yohan?"

 

"Ani! He said, his name was Ruhannie!"

 

I cleared my throat to catch their attention again. "It's LU-HAN."

 

They bobbed their heads and repeated his name over and over before finally getting over it.

 

"Well, Luhannie, where are you even planning to bring her?" Sehun asked as he pointed at me with his pursed lips.

 

"Sehun please." I uttered out pleadingly since they were already making Luhan feel a little intimidated.

 

"Are you perhaps bringing her to a fine dining to have a date?" Chen asked with a cheeky grin and wiggling eyebrows.

 

Luhan suddenly chuckled, his eyes showing that he was amused. A smug simple crept on his lips as he shook his head and looked knowingly at me. "We're just going to have some catching up since I only see her once in a month. And I'm not bringing her at a fine dining. It's not her style." He softly uttered the last part to tease them a little.

 

"Is that so? Then Baek you should pro—amhjfph" Tao was about to say something but Baekhyun harshly covered his lips with his hand, and he let a smile out at me when he noticed me eyeing them. Weird.

 

"Then, can we just tag along? We promise that we won't bother you. We just want to kill time so if it's okay..." Baekhyun uttered out as he continued to look at me.

 

"What the heck Baek—" Again, Baekhyun silenced Tao with his hand as he waited for me to say anything.

 

"If you want to, then it's up to you." Luhan just said before placing his arm around my shoulders, "shall we princess?"

 

I bobbed my head in response, and Luhan wordlessly spun us around. We started to walk as we conversed about things that don’t really make any sense. Chen and Sehun would occasionally in, but Luhan wouldn't really pay attention to any of them, and would just continue talking to me. When we reached our favorite hangout place in Myeongdong, Luhan excitedly dragged me going in and pulled a chair for me like a true gentleman.

 

"Anything you want?" He beamed as he took the seat from me.

 

I smiled at him as I fiddled with my fingers. "The usual would be fine."

 

"Imu!" Luhan called the old lady serving drinks and told her our orders.

 

Whilst listening to Luhan speak, I surveyed the whole place to find the boys. And when I finally spotted them I smiled at how playful and comfortable they were with each other. Chanyeol was headlocking Tao for doing something so stupid again. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were laughing relentlessly as they watch the two towers squabble. Sehun was playing rock, paper, scissors with Chen for some unknown reason. And Kai... well, for some reason he's just his grumpy self again.

 

"Here!" I heard Luhan announce, making me look back at him and grab the chocolate bubble tea he bought me.

 

"How much do I have to pay for it?" I asked him as I abruptly fumbled in my pockets for my wallet.

 

Luhan waved his hand in front of me and smiled. “Don’t! It's on me today since it's your birthday!"

 

"MWO?!" I uttered out with widened eyes, because I was too surprised to know that it is that day today and I didn’t even know myself, at the same time as some other people in the shop shouted the same thing in chorus.

 

I whipped my head to the direction of the buzz, and realized that the boys were actually listening to our conversation. They showed wide grins whilst mouthing a ''happy birthday", but one guy outshined them all because he remained silently grumpy while biting his lips—Kai. The boy was strangely staring into space again.

 

I turned my head back to Luhan and covered the side of my face with some of my hair to conceal myself from the boys' view as I was feeling utterly embarrassed.

 

"Are they still looking?" Luhan fervently bobbed his head in response and snickered to himself in amusement when I asked, and I seriously kicked his leg real hard for it that he bit his lips to muffle his woes of pain.

 

Several onlookers gave us looks but Luhan just has to show his million dollar smile and voila!... even the ghostly death stares vanished, the whole shop came back to normal, and the people around us continued to mind their own business.

 

"You're really a charmer Lu." I chuckled softly as I clapped my hand over my mouth, but said boy only rolled his eyes at me.

 

"Stupid, stop already, okay? Your jokes are getting old." He rolled his eyes again, but I only continued to laugh at him.

 

Just like this, I love annoying him since his epic faces serves me a handful of entertainment all the time. Or rather, he just de-stresses me with his reactions that I started to yearn for it until I happened to learn how to throw puns at him.

 

"Here." He placed a box, wrapped with a fancy cover and perfectly weaved pink ribbon sitting atop it, on the table, making me stop and raise a brow at him questioningly. And when he got what my expression meant, he cleared his throat and uttered out as a matter-of-factly, "it's your birthday present, silly!"

 

I smiled sheepishly as I picked up the box and placed it just in front of me. I stared at it with admiration, knowing that Luhan still remembered. He remembered my birthday more than me.

 

"This is the fourth one I've received from you, you idiot."  I uttered out with a wry smile, "and you still gave it even if I always tell you not to. Worst thing is, you keep on making me remember that it's my birthday even if I don't celebrate it anymore." I ducked my head down as tears started to well in my eyes.

 

"Life is a gift." I heard him say with a hopeful voice, "and so are you."

 

I whipped my head up as I heard him drawl those words out. "Each day is another day to celebrate, but more than all those days, your birthday is the day I always anticipate for, you know why?" My eyes widened as I tried to swallow what he was saying, but I shook my head in the process as I saw him waiting for a response.

 

Luhan smiled. He smiled that sad smile again. "It's because it's the day you learned you had leukemia, and the day we also first met. Maybe, if you didn't have it, perhaps our meeting wouldn't have taken place and I would have not learned how to not give up from my own illness. If you had not come into my life, maybe I would be dead by now."

 

"Luhan—" I uttered out with difficulty as I suddenly felt that invisible lump get stuck in my throat, but Luhan stopped me from saying further as he placed a finger over his lips knowing what I wanted to say.

 

He bobbed his head and looked down, a sigh escaping from his lips. "I-I discovered yesterday how my illness c-came back."

 

I clapped my hands over my mouth as I felt shivers run down my spine. "T-this can't be. The doctor must have misdiagnosed you or something." I told him with a desperate tone, whilst praying that he's just messing with me again. Hoping that it’s not true.

 

But Luhan shook his head. "I-I told you this not to make you feel bad Nana. I don't want to make you feel sad especially on your birthday. Instead, I told you this because I want you to have another reason to smile, another reason to be strong, because your friend here decided to fight until I win this battle." His words struck me like lightning and it made me want to believe him.

 

The old Luhan who cries so easily when he's in pain, and yet cries even harder when he sees me crying in pain on my hospital bed in the past, I guess, that old him never changed. He's still him. Headstrong and stubborn. But most of all, brave and hopeful. I owe him my life because he helped me get through my illness. He spent every birthday I had with me and made me realize how special it all is. In fact, this boy made me realize how beautiful a lot of things are, including life.

 

Why had I forgotten them, and just remembered all of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter