Chapter 34

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The warm morning light seeped through the cracks between my window curtains that it stung my fluttering eyes, and I have to blink a few times just to adjust to it. I looked around my room when my vision finally cleared; taking in the not-so-new surroundings, yet the homey feel just won't get to me. It's been four days, and yet I haven't adjusted to my room, to my new school, to my new life. There was just not so much time to do that since I'm still trying to catch up with lessons.

 

The sound of banging on my door was evident, that I just bolted up from bed as the noise was too unbearable. Someone had taken that as a routine in the morning ever since I came. Unfortunately.

 

I sauntered towards the door, knowing who was at the other side, excitedly tearing my door down like a buzzing . Reaching it, my hand instantly latched on the knob, and as soon as I twisted it and opened the door, I was not surprised when a still groggy-looking Luhan pulled me into a morning hug.

 

"Morning." He croaked as he rested his chin on my shoulder and stifled a yawn.

 

I patted his back to tell him to get off and greeted him back, "Morning, Lu."

 

He pulled away from me and leaned on the door frame, still badly wanting to get sleep. It was so obvious, since his eyes were still partly closed, and his lips parted as if to breathe more conveniently.

 

"Yah." I slapped his cheek lightly, and his eyes slightly fluttered open before closing again, "It's only less than an hour left before class so why don't you go back to your dorm and take a bath? How can you even sleep while standing, Luhan?" I asked, and shook my head as I decided to leave him there, and prepared my uniform.

 

But the kid only invaded my room and lied down on my bed comfortably as he continued his sleep. I sighed in defeat as I tried to shake him awake but won't just budge. My attempt was only in vain, like always. So, I just decided to take a bath first, but when I came back all prepped up, he was still sleeping like a baby.

 

"Lu, it's 30 minutes to first class." I shook his arm again, but this time he grinned and bolted up.

 

"I still have 30?" He asked as he started rubbing his eyes.

 

I nodded though he couldn't see me. "30... and that's not so plenty of time..."

 

He ruffled my hair like always, and zoomed to the door almost at the speed of light. "I'll see you later, Kim Nana." He uttered out before winking cutely at me.

 

I chortled when he was nowhere in sight. Typical Luhan. He had been that hyper and childish ever since we first met, so I was glad that when I stepped into this boarding school I still have something or someone I am familiar with. Adjusting to life here has become a tad bit easier because of him and his friends, whom are my friends now too.

 

I got out of my dorm room as soon as I had my backpack slung over my shoulders. I made sure to lock it, and seeing other girl dorm mates running in the hallways or just loitering aimlessly, I greeted some of them when they had kindly greeted me too. The process was like that until I finally reached the lobby and saw my locker full with loads again. I walked towards it, reminding myself to get used to the new treatment I only experienced ever since I started attending this school—chocolates, flowers, and tons of letters filled my locker that I decided not to just use it to give space to the spews of admiration I couldn't just ignore and throw away harshly. It just feels so wrong for me. That at times like this, I already have my paper bag to collect them, read the letters later to let those people know I appreciate their effort, eat the chocolates—if not give them to my friends, and the flowers just goes to the vase in my room. I don't throw anything, because I respect what they do.

 

"You've gotten more today?" A familiar voice uttered as an arm slung itself around my shoulders. I cocked my head to the side and saw my friend, Hani, grinning widely at me.

 

"Morning." I chirped at her, trying to not let what she meant get to me while I was collecting all that were in my locker.

 

"How do you even manage to calmly face this sort of admiration?" She asked with an exasperated tone as she continued to stand next to me.

 

Well, Hani-ssi, I totally freak out all the time whenever I see my locker almost bursting open all because of the loads of letters or treats the weird students in this school give me. People in my previous school either ignored me or bullied me like , so I don't know how this even happened. One day I transfer schools, and then wake up the next morning to an environment completely the opposite of Seoul High. People here befriend me and treat me nicely. They kept complimenting me, saying how pretty I am and some cringe worthy stuff like that. It's ironically life changing, and though this nice treatment is what I've always yearned for, sometimes I still feel like I'm only dreaming because this life is too good to be true.

 

I wanted to tell her all that I was thinking, but I only shrugged and smiled smugly at her when I was done emptying my locker. "I'm just trying to get used to it, since I feel like they won't simply leave me any time soon." I told her half-heartedly.

 

"Well, guess you are right." She shrugged too, taking what I said in consideration, since she's a popular kid who receives ten times more of what I do.

 

Dropping off the subject, Hani and I decided to get to class to meet the others who fortunately are in the same class as both of us. We were talking about our previous pop quiz when the dorm manager by the front desk called me.

 

"Someone wants to give this to you." She fished out a bouquet of lilacs from under the desk and pushed it to me.

 

I held it in my hands, a tad clueless as to whom it even came from. "May I know who gave this?" I asked her but she only shrugged and smiled.

 

"I honestly don't know." She uttered out, "When I came here at 6, the bouquet was already here and I just knew that it's for you because of the card." She pointed at a small card that was stuck on my bouquet, and when I looked at it my name was really written on it.

 

"That's the second one, no?" She asked, gaining back my attention. "Must be a secret admirer for you."

 

Somehow, a faint smile escaped from my lips when I heard her say 'secret admirer'. Just that, this is the first time I've had one if that someone sending me these pretty bouquets since yesterday is really one. The new experience somewhat just brings me a jolt of excitement and anxiety. But then, it's only that and nothing more. I'm not the type to entertain someone anyway, if I've already committed my heart to someone else.

 

"Well then, thank you for patiently receiving them for me ma'am. I'm really sorry for being a bother." I told her as I bowed down curtly in front of her.

 

She cackled as she waved her hand dismissively in the air to tell me it was just nothing. "Anything for a nice lady like you, Nana-ssi." She uttered, before Hani & I finally took off.

 

"Damn, isn't that secret admirer of yours too sweet to send you bouquets every day?" Hani squealed as she twirled around the catwalk we've been walking on.

 

"Hmmm." I hummed as I cradled the bouquet in my arms like it was a delicate object, "but I'm afraid that I'll have to open a flower shop all because of his efforts." I tried to joke, but Hani only slapped my arm after throwing a fit of laughter. It hurts... really, this boyish girl is sometimes too much.

 

"That's funny." She chirped as she nudged my side, and soon enough clung on my arm like the possessive girl friend I never had before.

 

We got inside our building only to be met with more greetings and more stares. Surprisingly, the gazes my schoolmates have been throwing me are either out of pure curiosity or delight—and not deathly glares I'd gotten used to when I was still in Seoul High. Hani would only always ignore the people who wanted her attention, because as she said, that's how she treats them so they would know their boundaries. While I was the newbie in this kind of reality who decided to be polite to everyone even if sometimes the too much attention people are giving me becomes too annoying already. My friends would always ask me how I can manage to stay composed in these kinds of situation, but I would only just tell them how I've had so much experience being rejected that I chose to remain nice. They would not buy that excuse though, and would always ask how come it's possible that a girl like me could have faced rejection, but a shrug would be my only answer. Because I don't really know what they mean about me with the line 'a girl like me'. It's not like I am special or something, right?

 

We went inside our classroom still 10 minutes earlier than first class. Apparently, like always, at this time, Xiumin, Kris, Suho, Yixing & Luhan would be in a circle with another girl friend, Maeri. Sauntering towards them, even from afar, the dimpled guy already offered me a smile, while Lu just waved enthusiastically to us.

 

"Morning." I greeted as I decided to sit next to Luhan like always.

 

"Morning, Nana." Xiumin greeted as he ruffled my hair.

 

"Morning, pretty." Kris greeted from across me as he had his elbow planted on the desk and his chin resting on his palm. I greeted him with a smile I'm response.

 

"Flowers again?" Luhan suddenly asked as he gazed down with furrowed eyebrows on the bouquet I was holding.

 

"Oh, right." I placed the pretty bouquet on the table and quickly placed the paper bag full of treats I was holding in the middle of us. "There are treats inside the paper bag. If you like any, just help me eat them please." I pleaded as I pouted in front all of them.

 

They only chuckled and stood up to peek inside the paper bag. Yixing and Luhan found chocolate bars to devour on. Kris said that he doesn't have a sweet tooth like the rest that he just settled with a gum ball he randomly picked. Suho and Xiumin found a box full with Belgian chocolates and shared along with Hani & Maeri. The table was so noisy like always, but whenever I would turn my head around to see if the others get annoyed of our presence, I would only see them smiling, especially the girls. Sometimes, soft squeals of admiration would be heard from hordes of girls behind us, but I would just ignore them like my friends. Maybe, because I'm hanging around with the popular kids that it is like that. Whatever they do, people would be there to watch them with great appreciation. No matter how annoying or childish they get, girls or boys would just laugh, saying that they are oh so cute.

 

"And from who is the pretty bouquet from, this time?" Yixing suddenly uttered, making me pull out from my own reverie and look up at him.

 

Getting his point, I just shrugged and brushed my fingers on the flowers. They were so beautiful, but the feeling they give me would never compare to what I feel whenever I would see the band still placed on my fourth finger. "It's probably from that unknown sender again."

 

He nodded and smiled. "I see. But isn't he so nice?"

 

I nodded in response and tried to smile wider. "He is. Just that I feel like he's doing too much for me." I told him honestly.

 

"Too much?" He asked again, raising an inquisitive brow at me.

 

I giggled seeing how curious he was with the anonymous sender, "Well, I feel like all of this is too much. Not just what he's doing. I mean, I wasn't really expecting to be treated like this—being sent with gifts of admiration, so everything is so overwhelming for me." He bobbed his head contently when he heard my explanation.

 

"Oh honey, trust me, the things you get are just a mild version of what I get." Maeri cried in exasperation. Knowing her in my standpoint, she's one who can't tolerate the mountains of gifts she receives.

 

"Yah! Mae, aren't you supposed to be used to them now?" Xiumin tattled, but Maeri only pouted.

 

"That's Impossible Minseok. You know me. I hate them." She just uttered out bitterly, earning her pats

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter