Chapter 46

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It really when you just want to sleep and yet you just can't get enough of it because your room isn't sound proof and the people outside wouldn't just stop blabbing about the same stuff over and over.

 

The raucous voices were all over. People cachinnating over the same nonsense topic. My headache has gotten better, but the noise seems like a deadly trigger for an incoming migraine, dizziness, convulsion and a sick stomach. I only felt worse even after being given the right drug by the school doctor who stationed herself in the emergency tent.

 

"You're already awake?" Dr. Han asked when she saw me sitting on the bed while dangling my feet.

 

I only nodded since my throat felt too dry to even let me speak without croaking and sensing it burn. She threw me a worried look, seeing how weak I was to even do a simple task of answering. Suddenly she stood up and came forward to me. She pushed my fringe aside and touched my forehead with the back of her hand, making me feel a bit comforted by her warmth. I closed my eyes when her hand lingered on my skin while waiting for her verdict.

 

"Your fever has gotten down." I heard her say, "But how do you feel right now?" Her voice was laced with worry, just like how my mom's would sound before, whenever she would ask me the same question.

 

I leaned closer to her touch when she touched my cheek and heaved a faint smile when I sensed the warmth again. "I feel dizzy, cold, and my stomach feels funny." I managed to mutter out through difficulty.

 

"You're still pale." She pointed out. "Have you been eating properly the past days?" I lied by nodding, but she only chuckled mockingly.

 

I opened my eyes and saw a blurry view of a smiling her. "You're skin's cold and clammy. You're pale. And your lips seem dry. Is that how a properly fed kid looks like?" She grinned sheepishly at me and I just sighed, knowing that she clearly saw right through me.

 

"I lied." I only told her, and she bobbed her head in understanding.

 

"I know." She said, as if she knew all along and I was nothing but an open book to her too.

 

“I didn’t know that doctors are mind readers too.” She chuckled at my remark and patted my head.

 

“We just know a lot better than kids like you.” I snorted at her witty retort. She sure knows what to say.

 

I sighed again, feeling a bit embarrassed that she knows me well enough even when I’m lying. "I think my appetite got worse than before. These days, I only eat a little since I don't even feel hungry." I confessed.

 

She nodded as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Have you been stressed lately?" My eyes rounded at the accuracy of her points.

 

"Basing on your reaction, you are." She bluntly uttered.

 

"Well, I just got a lot in mind." I tried to defend myself as I avoided her gaze.

 

"I can see that, but you have to start filling yourself with fluids since you're badly dehydrated." She informed me as she lifted my chin with a finger. I saw her squint her eyes at me, seemingly telling me that I should take her seriously. "You're doing that if you don't want to be sent to the hospital."

 

I nodded frantically when I heard her mention the word 'hospital'. The place still sends me chills. And hearing that I might possibly go back there because I wasn't taking proper care of myself, made me instantly feel horrified.

 

"I promise, I will." I croaked out as the thought haunted me. I'm not going back there even if it was like my second home before.

 

"Dr. Han, is she—oh, you're awake!" Luhan rushed to my side with a smile, just in time when I needed someone to get me out of here.

 

"Hey," I uttered softly.

 

He smiled wider at me and ruffled my hair, "How is she?" He asked Dr. Han, his eyes still focused on me.

 

"She's still sick as you can see." She only retorted and then pressed her lips to a thin line. "but maybe you can help me watch over her?"

 

Luhan heaved a glance at her, seemingly interested with her offer. He nodded to her request, and I watched as Dr. Han sat him down by her desk and talked to him. She told him a few things about me and reminded him of his responsibilities as the person in charge of me for the whole trip.

 

"Is that all I need to do?" He finally asked her.

 

Dr. Han nodded and smiled kindly at him before looking back at me with a meaningful gaze she held. "I hope she listens well to you."

 

I puffed my cheeks upon hearing the hint of accusation in her voice, but she only amusingly shook her head at me whilst smiling.

 

"She will." Luhan assured and chuckled upon seeing my reaction too.

 

We both thanked the doctor before bidding goodbye. She let me take some painkillers just in case my headache tries to kill me. And Luhan wrapped his thick fur coat around me when we were finally out in the cold afternoon. Many tents have already been set up, occupied by Juniors like us. They greeted us as we passed, and gave me treats since news had already spread that I am sick at the expanse of the hours I was in the doctor's tent.

 

"We hope you'd get well soon." A girl with short hair said as she held onto my hand for dear life while looking at me worriedly.

 

I nodded and managed to smile. "Thank you."

 

A boy from her group suddenly came up to me and offered me a box of pocky. "We know you said you're not accepting gifts anymore but I hope you can accept this. I just wish for you to feel better." His cheeks flushed as he remained holding out his treat for me.

 

I smiled when I recognized him as ‘the boy who bravely confessed to me’ that one time by the entrance of our school. And I nodded as I grabbed the box from his hand. "You're very thoughtful, Jaejoon-ssi." His eyes widened and his mouth gaped when he heard me mention his name. He was in a state of disbelief probably because he didn’t think I’d take note of his name. Well, in his case, I was lucky I did. Lucky for being forgetful.

 

"You know my name..." He mumbled, though it was more like for himself.

 

I nodded and smiled. "Of course, I had read your letter."

 

He was more dazed when I told him that. He muttered something over and over until a huge grin escaped from his lips and he thanked me repeatedly.

 

"Alright fanboy, we'll see you later." Luhan suddenly hauled me closer to him, cutting off the small chitchat we had as he pushed me to walk forward.

 

“Thanks.” I muttered, knowing that he saw how uncomfortable I was already with the too much attention. He smiled at me and nodded his head in response.

 

In the midst of our walk, little blabbermouths here and there kept meaningfully looking at us like how they used to do in school. Occasionally, we would hear them say how 'we're a good fit' for each other, or we would simply get asked whether we're dating each other. Answering them with silence has been a custom since it happens almost every day. And not just that, if I happen to walk with the other guys, pairings gets worse and endless.

 

"Did you know that..." I looked back at Luhan when he started saying something to distract me, "that Seoul High's principal is actually acquainted with our own principal?"

 

I scrunched my brows when I heard the information and let it sink in, but nonetheless nodded my head to him in response since it's like I heard it over a hundred times already, when I was at the tent, from passing nosy students.

 

"Really?!" He jabbered in disbelief.

 

I nodded and pushed my hands inside his coat's pockets to keep them from freezing. "I heard our schoolmates talk about them when I was at the tent." I uttered nonchalantly and shrugged.

 

"They said Seoul High's principal asked for a joint camping trip from our principal, and that the students were so reluctant to join the trip since the mountains is, and I quote, 'such a scary place' for them." I told him with a playful tone as I quoted in the air with my fingers.

 

He chuckled heartily at the sudden playfulness I had and pulled me closer when I almost tripped, "And now, if you look over there you'd see the imaginary boundary line between both schools." He pointed at the 2-meter gap between our school and Seoul High's.

 

I trailed my eyes to the other side of the imaginary line between both schools and noticed how different their students managed camping from ours. They were simply amateurs in terms of setting up their tents, the bratty students kept on spraying anti-repellants over their 'glorious’ skin, and it looks like they were not having fun at all. Students from my school looked too pro at camping, that I just felt my lips twitch up upon silently scrutinizing the situation at the other side. Our students were freely chatting happily around bonfires, roasting marshmallows with friends, and enjoying the surroundings so naturally without any complaints.

 

It amazed me and surprised me at the same time how two schools can and cannot be the same in a place like this. I mean, both schools are private schools, has a range of students from different classes—rich to poor, but their values and culture are a whole lot different. That I couldn’t be any more thankful that I chose staying in this school over my previous school.

 

“Your old schoolmates were too much of a snob that they managed to get a whole bunch of haters from our school even if their teachers asked them to befriend us.” Luhan uttered out.

 

“I bet both schools wouldn’t get along.” I added as I raised a brow while watching the other side of the camping site.

 

“Me too.” Luhan seconded and then chuckled heartily whilst shaking his head in utter amusement.

 

He was informing me about what had happened through the course of the morning until just recently, since I was out sleeping, when I suddenly came to a stop and held my breath when I noticed who were sitting around a bonfire with my friends. I held onto Luhan’s sleeve in fear of meeting the last person I wanted to see right now, but he only peeled my hand away and held it in his instead.

 

He gave me a reassuring squeeze and a knowing gaze when he noticed the discomfort in my expression, and I somehow calmed down. “I don’t know why you look like you don’t want to see him… or her but just know that I am here and you can tell me everything.” I nodded when he said that.

 

Luhan pulled me to the group, and they all watched as he cautiously placed me in between him and Yixing. They were quiet as my best friend aided me with water and asked me whether I’m fine being out in the cold. But rather than talking I just nodded and ignored their stares. It was not for long when Tao started spouting nonsense again and Kris has to join him in entertaining

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter