Chapter 10

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I found it weird how when I got down from my brother's car that I didn't feel any remorse nor fear at all. It was like I had rebirth, and I was already a completely different person. Much better than the helpless Kim Nana that I was.

 

"Do you want me to pick you up later?" Minhyuk asked when I was already a few feet away from his car.

 

I spun around and smiled at him. I shook my head in response, because I was confident that I would be able to last the day without getting bullied again.

 

I don't really know why I feel that way. Maybe it's just my instincts, but even if it us, I just trust my guts that I will be fine.

 

"Dad taught me a few tricks last night, so I guess I'll be able to kick butts if they even dare touch me." Minhyuk laughed heartily at my remark, and he bid me one last goodbye before speeding off.

 

I spun around with a wide smile tugging on my lips, and walked the pathway at a slow pace since I wasn't really in a hurry to go to class since it's still around six in the morning. I can probably spend time cherishing the cool breeze of air while it last as fresh and as serene as it can be whilst looking around. This isn't the first time that I've been this early for school, but I could say that this is the first time I've had peace of mind after a long time. 

 

If only I hadn't met Kai, if only he didn't move into my neighborhood and transferred to Seoul High, if only he wasn't there at the rooftop when I had my first heart break, and if only he didn't choose to bully me, maybe I would be able to spend every morning like this. Maybe, I did have friends. Maybe, no one would call me ugly or pig in the first place. Maybe, I would have not felt so miserable living a hellish life. Maybe, I wouldn't need to transfer schools at all.

 

"Good morning." The abrupt greeting from the familiar stranger made me surprised.

 

He had his hands inside his pockets like the usual. His uniform isn't as neat, his hair was such a beautiful mess, his voice was mysterious and deep. He passed by me after the greeting, and he's slightly ahead of me by about five feet at the moment. His back was facing me, but I could easily tell just by looking, that it is Kai.

 

The boy who used to bully me. The boy who inflicted so much pain in my life. Kai.

 

I wonder how am I even able to distinguish him perfectly from the rest. I don't even know how I was able to memorize his voice, or how I can easily tell that it is him just by hearing him or seeing a part of him—just like by looking at his slender fingers or his back. It's uncertain when did I even start noticing him and recognizing him in so many ways like I know every inch of him perfectly, but then I would remember how he would constantly appear every day in front of me just to annoy me. Maybe, those were the times that had trained my senses to get familiar about a lot of things about him.

 

Thinking about it now, I find that silly about me. Because I feel like the training was worth it, since I like the idea that I can easily tell him apart from other people, now. True. It may sound odd but I just find myself getting excited over the fact that we're both working it out on starting a new page in both our lives—not as enemies, but not (yet) as friends either. We're basically not close, but not strangers, perhaps acquaintances, trying to get things over slowly.

 

I'm just happy that he is sorry for whatever he had done to me, and that he's trying to treat me better. It was enough for me to forgive him and give him another chance. Perhaps, this time we may get to know each other better. Perhaps, I may be able to open his heart, and know the real him that his cold facade hides.

 

Having so many hopes in one person, I realized that probably meeting him at such circumstances was fate. Maybe, it was needed for me to open my eyes and become the person that I will be now. A stronger person. A forgiving person. A person full of hopes. The kind of person who will understand Kai. With that in mind, I just found myself embracing everything that happened to me. Perhaps it was meant to be there, because life shouldn't just consist of constant peace and calm. It has to go in a cycle of destruction and restoration over and over for someone to reach the peak of his or her purpose and happiness.

 

Reaching the lockers, I saw Kai sitting down on the floor whilst listening to music on his earphones. He has his back leaning on the lockers, with his eyes closed. He looked like he was sleeping so I didn't actually try to talk to him. I just opened my locker, got some books, and closed it lightly so I wouldn't disturb him. I tiptoed cautiously going away, but to my utter surprise said boy called me.

 

"A-ah, ne?" I was too taken aback that I wasn't able to think of a better reply. 

 

Kai raised a brow at me, but later on relaxed his face and patted the space next to him. "Sit here." He told me, but I was too shocked on his offer that I was only gaping at him and not doing anything.

 

"You'd probably catch a fly in your mouth if you keep doing that." He mocked, as he gestured for me to close my mouth.

 

I shook my head as I pulled away from my own trance, and sat on a safe distance away from him on the floor, instead of saying back something smart. I just don't want to annoy him, and get myself into trouble again.

 

Kai scrunched his brows when he saw how far I was from him, and decidend to move closer. Closer for my known good. In fact, he just casually sat next to me and left no gap between us at all that our knees touched. I was weirded out by the sudden closeness, but I just decided to let it pass—perhaps he's just trying to get closer to me. Perhaps, his intentions are just same with mine.

 

But the bewildering acts didn't end there. After sitting next to me, said boy took off his blazer and placed it on my lap like a gentleman. 

 

I gave him an inquisitive look, but Kai just shrugged and said, "You don't want whatever that's underneath show when you're sitting like that, do you?" he pointed it out mockily as he emphasized on how I was sitting with legs crossed.

 

I giggled softly at the way how he was serious about it. Not wanting to let others see any ness on me, and yet he was the guy who entertained me on a disgusting live show with Soojung before.

 

"What?" He asked with an irritated voice, when he noticed me giggling without care.

 

I shook my head and smiled sheepishly. "It was nothing." 

 

He looked like he didn't believe me in that, but he just nodded and looked away. Maybe he was avoiding having a pointless argument with me, the same way that I am trying to.

 

We had awkward silence for a while, until the third weirdest act happened—he placed one of his earphones in my ear wordlessly. I looked at him to inquire about it but he had his eyes closed. I guess he doesn't want to explain about this either, so I just listened to the song he has been listening to all this while, and I abruptly cocked my head to face him when I realized which song it was—the song I performed with Luhan in the hospital, except that this one is the original track.

 

I found myself smiling when he had the song on repeat. Could it be that he has been listening to this for a while now? I was curious. Even if this is just some kind of coincidence that he's listening to it, I am very touched, because 'Angel' is my favorite song. And it's just that it would be nice if he actually likes the song like I do. That way, maybe I'll be more comfortable with him around, because I know at least one thing we can share in common.

 

I tapped his arm with the intention of asking him about it, and he opened one eye to let me know that he's listening.

 

"D-do you perhaps like this song?" I asked him shyly while fiddling with my fingers.

 

I heard a sigh escape from his lips, and then he suddenly turned his head to look at me. His eyes fully opened, and his face at a good seven inches distance away from mine, making me feel a little flustered because I just found myself fully appreciating his godly features for the first time.

 

"I've been listening to it for a while now, so I guess I like it?" He uttered out, but it was more like he said it as an inquiry to himself than an answer. 

 

"Why?" I shook my head to the question, because I figured out that it was unnecessary to let him know that I'm just happy that he likes it like me.

 

"This is my favorite song." He bobbed his head and his lips in response at my revelation.

 

"I see." Kai said monotonously, "but I guess, your version sounded better. This one just doesn't give the same feeling." He informed me.

 

My eyes widened in surprise at what he said, and a sheepish grin decorated my lips without me knowing. I knew for sure that what he said was something I was hoping to hear from him, but I wasn't just certain that he would actually say it so casually like that, that I was not prepared.

 

"Well," Kai suddenly stood up and peered down at me, "People will soon fill up this damn area, so how about we get going?" He told me as he offered me his hand.

 

I beamed a smug smile as I reached for his hand and he pulled me up so effortlessly. His hand was so soft, and the electrifying touch made me remember the times he held my hand before. It were all just so vivid that I started to dream about it in daylight.

 

"Kai? Nana?" But that other voice suddenly woke me up from my own reverie.

 

I abruptly pulled my hand away from Kai, and reflexively stepped back as Baekhyun's figure came in view. Kai strangelay looked at how I was acting, but he didn't say anything nor asked. 

 

"Nana." Baekhyun uttered out my name again, but he sounded sad.

 

"I-I'm going now." I told them as I tried to ignore Baekhyun, but said boy he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter