Chapter 47

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I have been rubbing my nose since I woke up. For some reason I’ve been sniffing a lot and sneezing each and every time cold breeze passes through. I’ve been wrapped in bundles of sweaters and a coat, but the cold of autumn felt like the freezing breeze of winter to me. I must have been infected by the flu. However, whoever passed it to me is still a mystery. For all I know, I was the one down with a fever, a sick stomach, a throbbing headache, but Dr. Han had ruled that out as signs of dehydration so there’s no way that I had the flu since yesterday.

 

“Water?” Someone offered as a bottle of water was extended to me.

 

“Thanks.” I reached for the bottle, somehow touching the person’s fingers in the process, as I received it from him.

 

He sat next to me on the wooden bench wordlessly and leisurely leaned his back as he looked far ahead. “You look worse than yesterday. Do you know that?” He asked mockingly.

 

I scoffed at his cockiness, but still smiled. “You don’t have to rub it in. I hate having this flu you know.” I spat back as I squinted my eyes at him.

 

He chuckled a bit and shook his head. “From whom did you even got that flu? Had I known whether Kai had the flu before you did, I wouldn’t be wondering how you managed to get that.“ He uttered out while playfully wiggling his eyebrows at me.

 

I looked down when I felt my cheeks flush in utter embarrassment at the suggestive pun he had blurted out. Hearing him chuckling again made me look up to him and recover. I have to save myself if I don’t want him to get the wrong idea! Gosh!

 

“Stop saying nonsense! Jongin’s not even sick in the first place so even if we ki—stop thinking about dirty things!” I clapped my hand over my lips when I realized how I almost told him about the kiss we shared last night. Damn. I was almost caught.

 

“But I suppose I wasn’t the one thinking about dirty things? What did I even say?” He answered back with an idiotic smile he tried to suppress as he eyed me playfully.

 

“Who’s thinking dirty?” My eyes widened when I heard the other guy speak. He was clad in a thick coat as he sat at my other side with a nonchalant expression as he stared at me and at the other guy with me.

 

I gulped when I realized he was waiting for any of us to answer, and much to my luck this other guy was near to no help as he only laughed at how anxious and embarrassed I was to even answer the latter’s hanging question.

 

I sighed when I had thought of no other things to say but bring down the guffawing madman with me. “Yixing was.” I blurted out and shifted my eyes to Yixing who finally stopped laughing when he realized how I just said what I wasn’t supposed to say.

 

“He?” The latter asked, making me turn back my attention to him, and for the first time I noticed how his nose was a bit red just like his cheeks. His tanned skin was kind of pale, and the way how his face somehow lost its glow made him look like he was unwell.

 

Ignoring his question, I just clapped my hands over the sides of his face in worry. “Are you sick, Kim Jongin?” I asked as I furrowed my eyebrows at him. He stared at me for a while, and the way he scrunched up his nose and sniffed made me realize that he was.

 

“Your hands are freezing.” He pointed out as he clasped his hands over mine and he lowered both our hands on his lap.

 

I looked down when I noticed him caressing the back of my hand with his thumb. His skin was warm… no, more like burning that I pulled my hand away from his abruptly and instead touched his forehead to check his temperature. I scrunched my brows when I sensed how hot he was.

 

“You’re too hot.” I blurted out in worry as I looked at his expressionless eyes.

 

“I know I’m hot but you don’t have to say it out loud.” He nonchalantly spouted, earning him a hard flick on the forehead from me. He groaned in pain as he rubbed his forehead and slightly scowled at me for hurting him.

 

“I didn’t mean it that way! How can you even joke at this kind of situation when you are sick?!” I nagged as I stood up and pointed a finger at him before huffing out loudly in frustration. But he was too taken aback with my sudden change of mood that he only stared at me in surprise.

 

“What did I even—“

 

“As I thought!” Our little squabble was interrupted when Yixing just suddenly started cachinnating in his spot like an idiot. Both Jongin and I stared at him dumbfounded as he held onto his stomach while laughing.

 

“H-he was s-sick—“ My eyes grew wide when I knew what he was trying to point out. I moved closer to Yixing to stop him from saying the embarrassing truth but he kept swatting my hand every time I tried to cover his mouth.

 

“Just admit it Kim Nana! He was sick with the flu yesterday and because you…” He trailed his eyes meaningfully from me to Jongin and beamed a wide grin, “…you kissed, you got infected by his flu!” He happily blurted out, crushing down the tiny dignity I had.

 

“You’re sick too?” Jongin innocently asked while stifling a playful smile.

 

I just sighed and fell back in between them on the wooden bench in utter defeat. This won’t work. Defending myself would probably embarrass me more. So, don’t speak Kim Nana.

 

“How romantic of you to share your flu.” My eyes rounded even wider when I heard Sehun blurt that out. He happily did a fist bump with Jongin and sat next to him like it wasn’t even a big deal that they were talking about us like that.

 

“True.” Another boy appeared and smirked at me. “But you could have spared the princess from your illness pal.” Baekhyun did another fist bump with Jongin who just smirked at him.

 

“Dude, I wasn’t even aware that I was already sick.” Jongin explained as he watched Baekhyun take the spot next to Sehun.

 

“Shut up, Jongin. We told you many times to cure your cold but you didn’t. You must have planned this out too.” Sehun spouted as he had playfully hit Jongin on the arm.

 

“No way!” Jongin answered in between chuckles as he placed an arm around me and pulled me closer to him. “I really forgot about it. I didn’t mean to get you sick instead.” He uttered out as he gave me an apologetic look, which more or less I had fallen for yet again.

 

I smiled and caressed his cheek to assure him that it was fine. “It’s alright. I can manage getting sick even if it’s your fault.” I told him teasingly. But it seems like he had rather taken it seriously that he frowned in guilt.

 

“Jongin, it doesn’t really matter to me at all.” I reassured him, and somehow saw how his face softened a little. “It’s just a flu.”

 

“A flu is still a flu.” He pressed as his lips curved down even more.

 

I sighed in defeat when I found no words to appease his mood and just decided to pull him into a hug to make him feel better. “Seriously, I don’t know what I am going to do about you sometimes.” I muttered out as I started rubbing his back. The others just laughed at how weird and unusual we are like this.

 

“Get a room, will you?” An incoming Tao commented as he was trudging towards us with his hands in his pockets. The others were laughing louder at his snarky remark, but I only rolled my eyes at them for the puns.

 

Suddenly, I was hauled up to my feet and next thing I know, Jongin was gripping on my arm while smirking at the boys impishly, “Do you really want us to?” He uttered out suggestively, earning snickers from the others.

 

He was about to drag me away, I know he was only kidding, but when we bumped against Luhan, and the latter was looking at Jongin with distaste, I suddenly became afraid. Of course. He must still be mad at him after what he had witnessed last night and I haven’t told him that we managed to finally fix our own issues already.

 

“And where do you think you’re taking her?” He directed the question to Jongin who was still gripping on my arm.

 

Jongin, being clueless about the reason for Luhan’s hostility, just scrunched his brows at him and snorted. “Why does it matter to you?” He asked him challengingly.

 

“I’m her best friend so it matters to me.” He retorted with spite in his voice.

 

I felt how Jongin’s grip on my arm tightened when he heard Luhan say that. He must have not liked the way how he talked to him that he felt pissed. I tried holding him back by clasping my free hand over his arm but he only persisted and moved towards Luhan. Tension was evident as they scowled at each other.

 

“Why are you even mad at me? Did I even do something wrong to you?” Jongin asked with a serious tone, as he was trying to keep his calm.

 

“Are you really asking me that?” Luhan asked in gritted teeth as he suddenly grabbed on Jongin’s collar, the latter doing the same as he had his eyes boring at him furiously.

 

“I am, why?”

 

“Jongin, please.” I pleaded as I tightened my grip on his arm. He somewhat relaxed when he briefly looked back at me, but he still kept his stance against Luhan who was exhibiting the same rage as him.

 

Luhan suddenly chuckled mockingly as he forcefully slapped Jongin’s hand away on him and stared much intensely at him than before. “No, you didn’t do anything wrong to me. But to her—“ he suddenly pointed to me, that I was rather confused as to what Luhan was trying to get at.

 

“To Nana… you did a lot of wrong.” He breathed out as he tried to compose himself as I noticed how he was already trembling in rage. “You always make her cry. You make her wait.  You always hurt her. And I ing hate you for doing that to her when you are supposed to make her happy!” Luhan hollered out, making Jongin more pissed as he grabbed a fistful of his collar again, making him slightly lean closer.

 

Yixing & Baekhyun were already hauling back Luhan, while Tao & Sehun were already holding back Jongin when the others noticed how big of a commotion we were already making so early in the morning. Some students got out of their tents upon hearing Luhan shout like that, and some others started coming closer as they were overly curious as to what the ruckus was about.

 

“What did you just say?” Jongin threateningly asked as he tried to free himself from the two guys holding him back.

 

“Are you deaf not to hear what I just said?!” Luhan spouted back with the same amount of rage.

 

In a blink of an eye, as if something finally snapped in Jongin, he managed to break free from Tao & Sehun who were restraining him from trying to touch Luhan. He swung his fist at Luhan’s face and cursed as the latter stumbled to the ground. I was in tears as I saw how things ended up being this horrible. Jongin tried to launch himself at Luhan again but Tao & Sehun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter