Chapter 57

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ya! Get up! Get up! Get up!”

 

It’s supposed to be the start of my lazy days since today is the beginning of our vacation right after school year has officially ended. The 3rd week of February. The time of the year when I can finally wake up later in the day, when I can just coop myself up in my room or go out with my friends however I like, when I can decided what time of the day to take showers, when I can eat ice cream all I want while watching reruns of the programs I missed or while having a movie marathon with my siblings, specifically Mimi at most. It was the perfect life any lazy bum has dreamed of, honestly.

 

“Are you not going to get up?!” But look who just happened to ruin my definition of a perfect life as a bum. Great. Just oh-so-great.

 

The constant kicks on my back made me groan in utter annoyance with the witch who ruined my perfect sleep. “Aish!”

 

I raked my hair harshly with my fingers as I turned around and forcibly sat up on bed, “What now Mimi?!”

 

My eyebrows scrunched together furiously when I saw her clad in a nice dress and some pumps, like she was leaving for some formal gathering. She gazed at me incredulously as if I just said something so ridiculous that it actually ticked her off. But what does waking me up have to do with her going out? I don’t really care. So, I just slumped back on my bed and covered myself with my comforter.

 

“Ya! Are you really not going to get up?!” She asked in an angry tone. Over my dead body.

 

“No.” I protested as I tossed and turned under the comforter, keeping myself still covered all over. “Why are you even forcing me to get up? Just go away if you have a date!” I uttered out in annoyance.

 

Suddenly, the comforter I’ve been using as my shield from her got yanked away, leaving me defenseless as she grabbed my wrist and forcibly pulled me into the bathroom. She pushed me inside without any clue as to why she even locked me from the outside. Was she trying to detain me inside?

 

“Seriously! Mimi you’re my older sister but sometimes I just want to whack you for always doing whatever you want!” I shouted in utter exasperation as I kicked the door and ended up regretting why I did that because my foot hurt after.

 

“Stop complaining because you need to wash up and wear the clothes I’ll be leaving in your room since today we’re going out!” She shouted from the other side of the door.

 

“Mwo?!” I hollered, “But why are you even forcing me to come with you when you can just go out on your own? Are you like 5 to even need a nanny?!” I mocked as I crossed my arms and blew out on my fringe.

 

“Geez.” I heard her groan, “Today is your Jongin’s graduation day and yet you don’t even get why I’m doing this? Dang. Of course we’re going there so get your in the shower!” Hearing her say that, I mentally slapped myself for forgetting what is the occasion today. Really?! Kim Nana, of all people you forgot what today is!

 

Well, I forgot it. So? Blame it on him! It’s definitely Jongin’s fault that I have almost forgotten when is their graduation. Sure, Sehun & Baekhyun definitely reminded me about it last Friday, but that was like 3 days ago? How should I even remember it with the poor memory I have when it was 3 days ago when someone told me about it. More importantly, if Jongin wasn’t just ditching me for a month now, I wouldn’t be this kind of bum who preoccupied herself with trivial things, drowned herself in movie marathons, sulked in a corner because the guy-who-promised-to-be-always-be-there for her just stopped contacting her out of the blue, and ended up as the kind of lady who acts as if every day was her period. Well, thanks to him all of that was made possible. Why don’t I just ditch him on his graduation too so we’re even? But of course, I’m not the kind of person to take grudge on someone so of course, what choice do I have? To go or to go?

 

To go. Of course.

 

“Ya! I can’t hear the water running. Are you even taking a shower now?!” Mimi’s constant nagging pulled me out from my own thoughts that instant. Oh, this girl. Seriously.

 

“I am! So go away and pick some clothes for me!” I retorted as I just opened the shower.

 

“Make sure to do it quick since the ceremony starts at 10 in the morning!” She shouted, her voice seemingly a distance away.

 

“Yeah! It’s just 8:30 so why don’t you relax? I can do this in 20 minutes.” I retorted as I slipped out of my clothes and went under the shower. Mimi didn’t reply after that so I presumed that she already went to my room like she had intended to.

 

Doing my bath and finishing it, I looked at the clock hanging by the hallway and saw that I actually finished right on time. I was happy as I was always on time. Not to mention that I am never late in anything.

 

I got inside my room and found the freshly picked clothes lying on my bed. I was smiling like an idiot when I realized how those were not my clothes laid in front of me. I immediately retreated back into the hallway and knocked on Mimi’s room to ask her about the clothes—the dress to be precise but she just told me off saying for me to ‘go away’ since she was retouching her makeup. Gosh. Had I not known she was just doing that on purpose, I would really kick her door and get back on her. But thinking that it was too troublesome to even fight with her at this hour, I just went back to my room and did a double take at the dress. It was actually a pretty blue dress that suited my taste. I just worry if it should fit me since I’m awkward wearing dresses. Like, how many times did I even wear such clothes? I can actually count it if you ask me.

 

Swallowing all reluctance, I wore the dress, straightening the flowing ends as I did since it was only until above my knees. I was consciously wiping my palms over and over on my dress as I was embarrassed to show that amount of skin. But when I saw my reflection in the mirror, I couldn’t help but drop my jaw because it was the first time a dress fitted me perfectly like this. It was as if the dress was specifically made for me, customized to my size and taste.

 

“Like it sis?” Mimi suddenly interrupted making me turn to her, only to see her smirking while wiggling her brows at me.

 

I snorted and shook my head at her. “Well, yeah. Where in the world did you even find this?” I asked, presuming that she bought it since I know she wouldn’t keep something like this in her wardrobe.

 

“Hmmm… let’s just say a gentleman donated that to you?” She responded’ Still I just found it very vague.

 

“Who?” I asked persistently.

 

She came forward and sat me down in front of my dresser. “Let’s just say you can find out once we get to the ceremony.” She says with a playful voice.

 

I sighed in defeat, not wanting to argue further. “Arasso.”

 

Mimi curled the ends of my hair to make a bit of difference to my style since she keeps saying how today’s such a special occasion and I should doll up just like everybody else. She put on more makeup on me than the usual—thicker lipstick stains, eyeliner to accentuate my eyes, a pink blush to slightly remove the paleness of my skin, and drew my eyebrows to perfection. Looking at my own reflection in the mirror, I was shocked when I felt like I just saw someone who looked like me but in a way doesn’t look like me. Maybe it’s the makeup’s doing. The simplicity that was ‘Kim Nana’ before was gone for now. And honestly, this one time I thought I was beautiful.

 

“Isn’t my sister prettier now?” Mimi beamed as she placed her hands on my shoulders from behind and lowered herself to my level as she looked at the mirror at the same time as I do.

 

I smiled at her for being such kind of sister to me. Treasures me a lot even if we often don’t agree with a lot of things. “Thank you, unnie.”

 

Her eyes grew when she heard the last word I said. “Holy…did you just call me ‘unnie’?” She shrieked, a wide grin decorated her lips as she stared at me amused.

 

“Yes, unfortunately. Since you made me this favor.” I said defeatedly as I stood up and faced her.

 

She chuckled heartily and patted my shoulder in satisfaction. “I guess I need to do you more favors from now on just to hear you call me ‘unnie’.”

 

“Yeah, sure.” I just said nonchalantly as I swatted her hand away and escaped from her.

 

Taking off from home at 9:30 in the morning, Minhyuk drove for us using his car. Alumni of the school are actually invited to special gatherings held annually, just like today’s graduation day, that’s why even my brother will be coming with us. Well, not that they are expected to come, just that the reason why my brother is coming is because Jae In will be there for sure. And my sister’s just supportive of me, that’s why she decided to be there to accompany me today.

 

We were quite positive that we will arrive in Seoul High 10 minutes later so we really took our time on our way. But to our utter misfortune, unluckily we were faced with traffic, that instead of reaching Seoul High after 10 minutes, I concluded that we may or may not just arrive later than the start of the ceremony. How lucky.

 

“. What if we’re late?” I worriedly asked, as anxious butterflies suddenly filled my insides for unknown reason.

 

Mimi chuckled beside me, and I raised a brow at her for doing so when I was just being serious. “Gosh. Nana, even if we are late, what is there to lose? Jongin’s not the first that will be going up the stage so relax.” She pointed out. If not for her I wouldn’t even actually relax a bit since I’ve been feeling this absurd nervousness in me ever since we started on the road.

 

Resting back on my seat, I just leaned the side of my head on the glass window and stared blankly at the view outside as I bit my li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter