Chapter 29

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Do you ever feel at times how you want to accomplish something, yet you are lazy? How you want to be happy, but you just feel unreasonably sad? How you want to simply love someone, yet you feel like you can't? How you keep on dreaming, yet you keep on procrastinating?

 

How you want to do the right thing, yet you keep doing the wrong thing?

 

Well, right now, that's how I feel. Unfortunately.

 

"Are you okay?" I heard Jongin ask as we are walking in the crowded streets of Hongdae.

 

I nodded without looking at him, as I was trying to hide my puffy eyes that I got from crying so much, 8 hours ago.

 

"But you don't look okay to me," He says and sighs, "you're not as talkative like any other day, and you look like you cried because your eyes are puffy." he pointed out as he squeezed my hand that he was holding.

 

I was anxiously scolding myself inwardly for being so obvious and mentally cursing at him for being so good at reading me, but I decided to pull off a calm facade so he won't suspect any further. "I'm just tired. We did so much today that I used up a lot of energy especially in PE class." I lied as I turned to him and tried looking directly into his eyes.

 

 "I see." He affirms as he nods. But I still feel like he didn't buy my excuse because he intentionally looked away and frowned. I just hope he wouldn't realize that I don't even have PE in my schedule today or else he would really know that I'm hiding something.

 

Jongin did his best to keep me preoccupied by talking to me, He babbled endlessly even if at times he was already saying nonsensical stuff that I would somehow often laugh at. He didn't look troubled, not in any way visible, but I know, just by the way he was trying to cheer me up that he's very worried about me. I felt a pang of pain just by the thought of that, and despite the fact that I feel so down, I tried my best to pretend that I was happy, just for him.

 

"There! There! It's the ice cream parlor!" Tao shouted excitedly as he was leading our group.

 

"Easy panda! The ice cream won't walk away from you so stop from running like an idiot!" Sehun chided as he pointed at Tao, but said boy only stuck his tongue out at him and went straight into the ice cream parlor.

 

"He's always like that." Jongin mused, a little embarrassed because of his friend, "like a little brat who keeps on doing whatever. Sometimes I really wonder if he's really my friend." He shook his head and sighed deeply, like he was so stressed at the thought of how embarrassing was Tao.

 

I laughed at him and patted his back. "Com'on Jongin, I know better how you're just like him. You and he are alike in the sense how you both do whatever." I blurted out thinking how good he speaks about others when he doesn't even admit he's like that too.

 

He puffed his cheeks as he furrowed his eyebrows at me, "How can you say it like that?! I'm not like Tao at all! I'm not a kid Nana!" He whined as he stomped away and left me behind.

 

I ran after him and clung onto his arm while giggling at his childishness, "Hey, are you going to act like a kid right now?" I playfully and chewed on my lower lip as I tried to suppress a laugh.

 

"I told you, I'm not a kid." He pressed, his face getting grumpy and grumpier.

 

"Alright. Alright." I uttered out, amused. "Jongin is not a kid. He's just a baby." I cooed as I pinched his cheek. He glared at me and groaned because I kept on teasing him. And the way his temperament shortens and shows on his face, the better I was feeling because I know this is the real Jongin.

 

My Jongin would always be temperamental. He easily gets annoyed and his mood swings are as unsteady as the weather. He's a boy with storms in his eyes and a lot of heaviness in his heart. But he's also a person with a lot of strengths. He's passionate, he's honest, and he’s caring. His dedication and love are undying and incomparable. To me he's the best person. He's a lovely person. And I feel so lucky that I am with him, even if it's just for a short time.

 

"Keep on teasing me—" I stopped him from saying further with a kiss on his cheek. His eyes widened when he saw the grin I was showing, and his cheeks changed into a different tint as his eyes scanned my face. He looked stunned, that I knocked hard on his forehead to bring him back to reality. And he groaned in pain as he massaged it while mumbling curses under his breath.

 

"Yeah yeah. I can be a kid or a baby as long as you will kiss me for that reason." He blurts out exasperatedly as he held my hand and dragged me inside the ice cream parlor. I chuckled at the way he was acting, because it was obvious that he was just flustered. He won't just admit it.

 

We sat on a huge table at the far end of the shop. Jongin was sitting next to me, Sehun was at my other side, and I was glad that he was the one closest to me, because I figured out how mental the others are and how he's the normal one out of them. Kyungsoo wasn't a good choice to have a proper conversation now, even if I praised him in the past for being the average in the group, since the boy himself is as crazy as the rest are. Well, Baekhyun's a good option to sit with too, but I suppose he was intentionally trying to keep his distance from me because of Jongin. He's that considerate.

 

"I want chocolate!" Both Jongin and I unexpectedly said at the same time, that we exchanged looks and stifled a chuckle.

 

"Our tastes are often the same, huh." He uttered out as he smirked at me and placed an arm around my shoulders as we made eye contact and wrinkled our noses.

 

"Yuck! Stop flirting in front of us people! You know how we're in the singles club so stop hurting our pride!" Chen blurted out as he pointed an accusing finger at us.

 

"Jealous? Then find yourselves a girlfriend, singles~" Jongin and smiled mischievously at everyone before sticking out his tongue at them.

 

Chen messed up his hair and groaned. "I'd rather stay single my whole life if I wouldn't find someone like Nana!" My cheeks flared furiously at his blunt comment, but seeing the others agree with him with nods, made me want to shrink in my seat due to the wave of abashment I was feeling.

 

"Yeah." Kyungsoo uttered out as he propped his elbow on the table and rested his chin on his palm, "It's either stay single or Nana."

 

"Single or Nana." Tao repeated with a bored tone as he mimicked Kyungsoo's position.

 

"Single or Nana?" Chanyeol uttered, more as question to himself, as he did what Kyungsoo and Tao did.

 

With that, the four idiots heaved a glance at Baekhyun and Sehun, but they only shrugged, trying to avoid answering the silent question that the others stupidly formed.

 

Jongin groaned and possessively wrapped his arms around me as he glared at them. "She's mine! And you will never find anyone like her so stop dreaming about my girlfriend you idiots! Go find someone else! How are you even my friends?" The rest shrugged their shoulders at him and exchanged knowing looks before stifling a laugh that rang like annoying chimes.

 

"Look how possessive Kai got!" Chanyeol laughed as he pointed at Jongin, "the person who never cared about others is now being obsessively protective about his girl!" He continued to laugh as he repeatedly hits the table with his hand in utter amusement.

 

"Look what you've done to our friend, Nana! Oh my gosh! This is so funny!" Chen says in between laughs as he clutches on his stomach.

 

"Yah! Kim Jongin!" Kyungsoo called while throwing a fit, "We're just kidding, alright?! Don't be so serious. We won't snatch Nana away from you." He chuckled endlessly as he wiped tears at the sides of his eyes.

 

Jongin crossed his arms and hissed at them. "Buy yourself your own ice cream because I won't treat you!" He pulled me up and marched away from the annoying bunch who kept on laughing at him.

 

I chuckled softly seeing how pissed he was after being made fun off. We strode going to the counter, and despite feeling so annoyed, he would obviously soften towards me whenever he would ask me what I want. His face would calm down, and his lips would twitch up whenever he would point at different things in the menu and would tell me how they taste.

 

"That one—"

 

"Nana?!" The familiar voice behind me snatched both Jongin & I's attention from the menu. And when we turned around at the same time, Yixing, Kris, Xiumin, and Suho greeted us.

 

"O-oh." My eyes brightened at the sight of them, and despite the seconds of surprise, I gradually eased up with them. "What are you guys doing here?" I asked them, a little ecstatic to know what their purpose is for dropping by in an ice cream parlor.

 

"Well," Yixing rubbed his nape as he looked shyly at me, "Luhan was craving for something cold, so being the good friends we are, we dropped by to buy him one." He awkwardly laughed as he spared me another glance and looked around.

 

"Oh, he's not yet discharged?" I asked worriedly.

 

Xiumin slung an arm around Yixing and smiled, "He's going to get discharged on Thursday since he still has tests results to wait for."

 

"I see." I sighed and looked down as I felt sympathetic for Luhan. "I hope he's just okay."

 

Someone then nudged me on my shoulder, and I cocked my head to my side and remembered how Jongin's just next to me. He was raising a brow at me and throwing an inquisitive look that was asking me what the matter is.

 

"Oh, right." I straightened up and tried to put a happy front as I held on to Jongin's arm. "He's Kim Jongin my... my..."

 

"Her boyfriend." Jongin nonchalantly continued for me, and the boys nodded at us with welcoming smiles.

 

"And they are Luhan's friends. I met them yesterday." I told Jongin with a sheepish smile tugging on my lips even if he doesn't look one bit pleased at the sight of them. "They are Yixing, Kris, Xiumin, and Suho." I pointed at each of them as I was introducing them.

 

And this time, Jongin politely bowed at them, but didn't smile. "It's good to meet you." He says it but it's as if his tone says otherwise.

 

Kris chuckled and patted Jongin's shoulder, "Your lucky, man. Nana worries so much for you, so you better take good care of her. Trust me, she's for keeps." He winked at Jongin, and as if they've already built some kind connection, said boy chuckled and grinned at him.

 

"I know." Jongin says cockily, "you don't really have to remind me, but thanks." And Kris playfully hits his shoulder with his fist in a friendly way.

 

Jongin and I moved away from the line, but this time, he seems like he had finally returned to a good mood. He was holding the tray with our orders while asking me how did I even know them, and I told him how they visited Luhan yesterday and how similar they are to the bunch of friends we have in Seoul High. He nodded his head at my response and hummed a content yes while eyeing our table.

 

"Nana?" I heard Yixing say again before I could even go back to our table. I spun around and blushed as he greeted me with his adorable dimpled smile.

 

"Yes?" I asked him with an expectant gaze.

 

He averted his eyes and scratched his temple as he opened his mouth to speak. "Well, I'm just wondering if you received my messages last night and—"

 

"Oh, right!" I clapped my hands before fumbling for my phone in my pockets and just checking my mail now, "I'm really sorry Yixing. I-I totally forgot checki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter