Chapter 35

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the end, we all went to a bubble tea shop near our school, since Sehun had insisted on getting from me what I owed him.

 

"2 chocolate bubble tea, for annoying Sehun." I announced nonchalantly as I placed his bubble teas in front of him.

 

His delighted expression as he punched his straw on its plastic lid never failed to entertain me. And as I sat across from him, seeing him took sips like an excited kid who finally got his treat made me chuckle heartily.

 

"Anyway," He suddenly said as he had finally downed half of his first bubble tea, "is it really okay for us to sit separately from your friends? I mean, I feel like they're killing me with their eyes because you're here with me." He uttered out as he took a secret glance at the table next to us.

 

I turned my head to my friends' direction, and indeed they were really looking at us. But instead of killer looks, they just shot me with wide grins. Whipping my head back to Sehun, I just shook my head as he attempted to shrink back in his seat, to try to at least hide himself. But obviously, his height and figure was already a disadvantage right from the start to even do that.

 

"Chill, they are just looking. Not killing you." I pointed out and ended with a chuckle.

 

"Oh, is that so?" He uttered in relief, straightening his slouching figure to bring back his cold city guy aura.

 

I giggled at his unusual cuteness, all because Sehun seldom shows himself like this. Most of the time, he would just have that stoic expression he has. But maybe because he has grown comfortable with me that he had eventually loosened up in my presence.

 

"Anyway, what happened to your face? You look like someone had beaten you up real bad. That blotch on the side of your lips and cheek look no joke to me." I told him worriedly as I touched the bruises on the areas I pointed out to him.

 

He scrunched up his nose upon hearing my words, that as if I said something that brought him memories he doesn't want to even remember He sipped some of his bubble tea, rubbed the tip of his nose, scratched his temple, tapped his fingers on the wooden table as he refused to look at me. I was pretty pissed that he was doing trivial things just to delay his speech that I decided to just go straight to the point.

 

"Okay, Oh Sehun, just spill it and stop distracting me." Hearing my spiteful voice, he straightened up and sighed in defeat. Great. I didn't know I can be scary at times.~

 

"Your boyfriend got real mad at me when I told them that day at lunch about you and your letters." He uttered out with a tinge of spite in his voice. I felt so embarrassed and guilty that I found nothing to say to him. That was probably why he can't tell me so easily about this.

 

'I'm sorry.' won't just simply suffice for all the troubles I caused Sehun.

 

"Well, even before that, in the morning, I guess he already found out about you dropping out from the blabbing students in the corridors, " He his lips as he tried to search for the right words to say, "and at lunch he looked like he was already in a bad mood. He stormed in the cafeteria with a scowl on his face and sat with us, and when I told them about everything it was when he poured out his anger on me, earning me this." He laughed unhumorously as he pointed at his bruises.

 

"Gosh. Who knows he would be that mad." He scoffed as he looked away from me with an expression of distaste.

 

Looking at my hands that were on my lap, I felt my heart clench in utter guilt. "This is my entire fault."

 

"If... if I did not involve you in this, then he could have not released his anger with me on you." I uttered out sullenly as salty tears started to form in my eyes.

 

But Sehun only laughed dryly. "Nana, I was the nosy one. And I was the one who chose to involve myself in your business. If any, either of us did not expect him to react that way. So don't blame yourself." He told me with utter concern in his voice, and let out a reassuring smile at me.

 

"Well, you don't have to worry about that anymore, since I guess we're fine now. Just that we're still not in talking terms." He uttered out with a glint of bitterness in his words, "...since I'm still pissed off with him."

 

Throwing him an inquisitive look, Sehun scratched his temple in frustration and decided to finish his first cup before speaking again to me, "If you're wondering why I'm pissed off with him, well that's because the day after you left, he started acting like nothing even happened. He didn't ask me anything about you. He laughed, he joked, he attended soccer practice and drowned himself in dancing day and night without even bothering to speak about you. He pretended he was okay even if he did not look like it even one bit in our eyes. In addition to that, did you know that he came back into clubbing with Chanyeol and Tao again?! He partied and drunk alcohol! I swear I want to beat him into a pulp because he was somewhat going back to the old him, but thinking how you wouldn't want me to probably do that to him I just suppressed my anger." He jabbered as if he was some girl friend who was badmouthing to me about his secret enemy.

 

"I could have appreciated it if he at least cried and pestered me to tell him something about you. But then, he did nothing like that!" He hissed as he ran his fingers through his locks in utter annoyance.

 

I smiled bitterly at what I heard. Partly, I was glad to know that he didn't cry for me. Because he does not deserve to cry over someone like me. But a huge portion of my heart was crying silently for him. Because he was probably acting like a jerk again because of the letter I wrote to him. I told him to forget me and move on. That was what he was doing, right? But why am I not happy at all? Instead of feeling glad that he was doing as I had told him, I only feel like I am such an idiot for asking him to do such a thing. Who am I even fooling? Myself? Him?

 

"It's all because of me." Sehun shot me a look full with confusion when he heard me speak mindlessly. "He's acting like that because I told him to forget me and move on." I told him as I felt the bitter taste in my mouth take over, constantly making me feel more and more guilty.

 

Hearing my words, Sehun palmed his forehead and sighed. "Well, just so you know, he looked like the bitter ex-girlfriend who decided to do a complete makeover. He must have taken your words to heart. Because he even dyed his hair to blonde. Ugh. That punk." He hissed again, but I only stared at him dumbfoundedly when I heard about what Jongin did to his hair.

 

"He-he... he did what?!" I shouted, garnering even the attention of my friends, who I decided to just ignore in the meantime.

 

Sehun chortled, seeing how shocked I was, and repeated his words again. "Kai. dyed. his. hair. blonde."

 

"Blonde." I repeatedly uttered the color over and over until I finally grasped what my stupid idiot did.

 

"He's obviously fooling himself with letting himself believe that changing his appearance and attitude would make him forget you." Sehun drawled out the words that I couldn't find for myself. Agreeing at that one thing, we both heaved a long sigh.

 

The shop was a bit crowded today, and there are obviously girls ogling over the boys that are with us, but to Sehun and I, the time we were not speaking, it was rather deafening silence that greeted us. Not knowing what to do, not knowing what to say, we were left with that little gap in time drowning in the quiet, thinking.

 

"What are you going to do now?" Sehun suddenly asked, finally deciding to break the ice.

 

Still not knowing what to say, I sipped on my own cup of bubble tea for the first time. "I-I... honestly don't know Sehun. What should I do?" I breathed out, feeling kind of helpless.

 

"I want for him to move on, but I don't want him to go back to his old self because it was only his front. But I don't know what to do now..." I honestly told him as my voice faltered.

 

Sehun tapped on the wooden table, thinking. He only looked on his fingers as he was pondering over something. But not after long, he gazed at me again, his lips as it were a habit I keep noticing him doing whenever he feels anxious.

 

"Maybe... you should talk things with him. Fix things with him instead of pushing him away." He says suggestively with a serious voice.

 

Narrowing my eyes at him in utter disbelief, I scoffed. "Sehun, do you even heard what you said? Jongin would not even probably want to see me after what I did to him." I blurted out with spite as I curled my hands into tight fists.

 

"No. You are wrong with that about him." Sehun opposed with confidence in his voice, "Jongin is not the kind of person to simply hate someone just because he never heard you explain anything. His heart is bigger than what you think. So, who knows if he's just waiting for you to come back? Or if he's just waiting for you to say anything?"

 

With those words, I began to contemplate with myself. How come I calculated things rashly and ended up thinking so shallowly of Jongin? Knowing him, and basing his personality with what Sehun said, that boy is not as simple minded as I have briefly thought of him when I was writing that letter to him. He may not give a damn about a lot of things, but with me, I know that he shows a lot of care. Even if he looks like he's moving on now, deep inside I know he's scarred like me. He's probably just doing all the change because moving on is what I told him to do. And even if it's not what he really wanted, I know he's being obedient because he doesn't want to disappoint me. I told him not to find me, and that's what he was really doing by not asking about me. He doesn't show that he's not hurt because he knows how I would hate to know that he feels that way. He's getting back to some of his old habits because he doesn't know any way on how to cope with the misery. And as much as I hate to admit it now, I am accountable for whatever Jongin's doing.

 

He's hurting himself because of me.

 

"That aside," Sehun cleared his throat as he paused to think, "you're coming with me this Saturday, alright? I'll pick you up at 5 in the afternoon." I nodded in submission, knowing that there's no way I would be able to back out now even if I just wanted to hide in a hole forever.

 

"You didn't tell anyone that I will come, right?" I asked him curiously.

 

He shook his head, and I sighed in relief. "I wouldn't dare tell anyone since all of them are blabbermouths. What if they tell Kai about it? I don't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter