Chapter 48

LOVE NEXT TO YOU
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Our 3-day excursion to the mountains surprisingly ended well. Well, for the most part of it, I can say that it did. We did stargazing together during the second night, even though it was kind of awkward between Jongin and Luhan since the fight they had. I could say they never considered each other friends, but their relationship before that was better than after all that happened to them. Their interactions in the past could have improved further if not for the misunderstanding they had, but probably now, even them having eye contact, talking or acknowledging each other’s presence would be impossible. Repairing the rip between the two would only just be a dream, knowing fully well their proud personalities.

 

On the third day, the day we went home, it was like I had foreseen it coming that Jongin would actually go home earlier than the rest—Sehun had told me anyway, that he had himself picked up by their family chauffeur, excusing himself as having the flu to the teachers. Although it was true enough that he was sick, I was still a bit disappointed that he didn’t even tell me about him leaving first, since it was like he was just trying to avoid me, or perhaps Luhan for that matter. If it’s not us that he was avoiding, then he could be avoiding the stares from other students—since it had spread to both schools of what had occurred in our second morning thanks to the blabbermouth students. Females and males kept giving us meaningful glances and were discreetly talking about us the whole time, and if it isn’t any worse already, they even had to come up to us just to ask about the fight—which was damn insensitive.

 

Since then, I’ve gained a couple more of haters from Seoul High, as far as my ears had intercepted, every time I happen to pass by them and do hear them cursing at me. They were saying how I was a , and that they had no idea why Jongin even got himself into a fight because of me. It wasn’t even their business, but they were dealing with it as if it was theirs since it’s their oppa who was involved.

 

Contrary to that though, the students in my year had shown sympathy towards me due to the fact that they found out how I was from the other school and yet they weren’t even treating me like human—when I didn’t even do anything wrong to them at all. They fully understood Luhan’s point as my best friend even though they really don’t know our story. And though they were surprised to know that I already had a boyfriend—in the name of Jongin, some of my schoolmates were quite supportive of us. The only annoying thing after that is when they started putting up a bet of whether with whom I would end up with in the future—good guy Luhan or bad boy Jongin?—which was kind of insensitive yet again, but I just try not to get affected by it since it was just a childish bet I could probably laugh at in the future as a memory.

 

During the bus ride home, Luhan was quieter than the usual. He would occasionally talk to me, but it was only to ask me whether I was okay since I was still sick with the flu. I would respond to him with short answers since I was feeling very tired, my eyelids were heavy, and my body felt like it was too weak to even move. I sat next to him that day like a total zombie. But I was glad that we weren’t any awkward with each other. At least, for the most part, he was talking to me and treating me like he normally would. It’s just that, I was the one acting a bit different in front of him, probably because at the back of my mind I kept note of what Jongin told me about him. That Luhan likes me—more than a friend.

 

It could have been easier for me if I didn’t know that, but it was too late to even regret about it. All I need to figure out is how am I going to act around him for the coming days, since I feel like I’d be too conscious around him now that I ‘kind of’ learned something about him, from another, person that was quite confidential—maybe he didn’t even intend for me to know about it in the first place. So, pretending like I never heard of it was my goal.

 

When we got back to school, Yixing was kind enough to offer me & Luhan a ride—with me going back home to recuperate, and Luhan going back to the hospital for his treatments. Mom had informed my school about my illness, and I was happy that I’m getting a break for God-knows-how-long after such a long time. Things at school were actually taking a toll on me, along with my personal problems, so being home was kind of refreshing. Plus, now that I’m home I get to visit Jongin and take care of him for a while. But so far, since I am also sick, my attempts to visit the Kim residence were only futile because I had been lying on bed for a full 3 days and yet I am not getting well enough to manage to move around so easily.

 

I tried calling Jongin for the past days, but he never picked up any of my calls for some reason which I don’t want to be mistaken as him avoiding me. It was driving me nuts how he wouldn’t even give the effort to contact me, but I would just convince myself that he was just as sick as me to even do a simple task like calling.

 

“How are you feeling now?” Mom asked when she entered my room with a bowl of soup on the tray she carried.

 

I shifted to a sitting position and leaned my back on the headboard of the bed so it would be easy for me to eat the food she brought. “Not any better, but finally eating like everyone wants me to.”

 

Mom heaved a faint smile as she settled on the chair beside my bed and placed the tray over my lap. “Good for you honey. Eating will help you recuperate faster.” She told me as she gestured for me with a hand to touch my food.

 

I lifted my hand to grab my spoon and started scooping soup from my bowl. Mom was just only watching me eat by the side quietly, sometimes smiling when she sees me scrunch up my nose whenever I would burn my tongue. It was like that even for the previous days.

 

“I visited the Kim Family a while ago and I heard Jongin is sick too.” She started, and I only nodded while scooping another spoonful of soup, trying to act nonchalant about it, “They said he was getting better but hasn’t come down from his room so they were a bit worried for him.” I stared up at her when I heard her say that.

 

“Do you know perhaps if something’s wrong with him?” She asked, finally getting to the point she was probably meaning to ask me since the very moment she stepped inside my room. I looked down to my bowl feeling a bit down with what she said. “His mom asked me this favor to ask you this, so—“

 

“I don’t know.” I just said and then my lips as I was contemplating whether I should confide with mom about my love life this time.

 

“Honey, is something wrong with the two of you?” Mom asked worriedly as she moved to my bed, sat next to me and cupped the sides of my face with her hands. “I don’t want to assume anything, but I hope you’d tell me if there is.” She insisted, but I only shook my head and brought her hands down from my face.

 

“It’s just that… I don’t know anything because he hasn’t contacted me, that’s all.” I told her honestly, omitting the part that before all this, he fought with Luhan, we got into our own fight, and since then he has been acting a little differently towards me even if we managed to mend things between us.

 

“Is that why you look so down these days?” Mom asked but I didn’t say anything. I just looked down and fiddled with my fingers as I tried to stop myself from feeling worse.

 

“Oh, dear, what am I supposed to do with you?” Mom uttered out worriedly as she lifted the tray from my lap and placed it on my study table. She shifted closer to me on my bed and gave me a comforting hug as she rubs my back. At that moment, I felt like I just had received the best medicine that a tear slipped from my eyes.

 

“I want to see him, mom.” I boldly uttered out, feeling a tad sadder with her every of my back. Mom just hauled me closer to her when she noticed the sadness in my voice and said sweet nothings to make me feel better.

 

“You need to rest a lot more so you will get better. By then, you can see him. Or if he’s well enough, he’d be the one to visit you.” Mom uttered out and I nodded in agreement, convinced that Jongin would have come if he was capable enough or he would have called me if he can.

 

I let that day end resting more and looking after myself better so I can get well soon enough. Mimi would come home earlier so she can go to my room and tell me stories of how her day went. She would occasionally tell jokes that I would unfortunately not crack up to since it’s either they were too cheesy or not really funny. Minhyuk would join us later in the day and he would always ask how I had been. It was all fun with my siblings but I just can’t get to smile wider since I still feel bothered with why Jongin hasn’t even showed himself up to me.

 

Was he mad? Was he really avoiding me? Or he’s just too sick that he could care less how I was feeling?

 

By the fifth day, I was well enough to get out of my bed, well enough to come down for meals, well enough to water plants with mom in the morning, well enough to get out of the house. I still have a little bit of cold but it was a tad better than the past days. At least, I don’t have any fever, no cough, no body ache, or a throbbing headache. It was as if I hadn’t been even sick and I feel great that I finally am well.

 

“Mom, can I actually go next door?” I asked her excitedly over lunch.

 

Mom beamed an amused smile and nodded, “You’re so excited to see your boyfriend, so how am I even going to go against with that? Of course.”

 

“Thanks!” I uttered out happily, earning laughs from everyone over the table.

 

I volunteered to wash the dishes for them in return, but mom was reluctant to even let me since she was saying how I was still sick so I wasn’t supposed to tire myself like that. I admitted to her point and just decided to get out of the house as I had planned. I bid them goodbye before sprinting for the gate and then running next door. Surprisingly, an unknown car had been parked in front of the Kim residence, but even though I was curious as to who owned it I just shrugged it off and rang their doorbell. A maid opened the gate for me, and I was let in so easily. Apparently, Mrs. Kim was the only person, besides Jongin, that was in the house since Mr. Kim was in his office, Ha In & Jae In were out shopping again, as I was told.

 

“Just go straight up to his room. He’s already awake so just suit yourself.” Mrs. Kim assured me with a smile and I nodded in response.

 

I took excited steps towards his room, careful not to squeal at every chance I could have used it for that. I was so giddy to think that I am finally seeing Jongin after 5 days which felt like 5 years to me already. I calmed myself down when I finally reached the front of his door, but seeing it already opened a little I was quite dumbfounded because I could clearly hear voices arguing. A boy and girl’s voice to be precise.

 

“I’ve given you proof, why aren’t you still convinced?!” The girl argued.

 

The boy scoffed at her. “Why do you keep bothering me until now?! Haven’t I told you that I don’t like you? Why do you even keep coming to my house?!” My eyes grew wider when I recognized the male’s voice as Jongin’s.

 

“It’s not that easy! I’ve liked you since middle school, how do you expect me to leave you alone just because you have that girl to play with, now?” I felt quite offended with the way how this girl worded those things to him, as I had the feeling that she was talking about me.

 

“Why don’t you just dump her and date me?! I’m fine with anything, Kai!” I started digging my nails on my palms as I inwardly cursed at the way how she was so desperate to get him.

 

“Don’t tell me what to do!” Jongin hollered, “And please leave me alone.” I decided I don’t want to hear any more of their conversation when I sensed the sadness in his voice.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter