"She's My Dongsaeng"

Our Ghostly Cupids

“Where have you been? Never mind. Let’s go.” Hara reached to where Zico was but then walked off.

Zico followed behind her then took the bags on her grip. Hara was shocked by the sudden move and so she looked back at Zico.

Zico beamed a wide bright childish smile to her. Their hands together, Hara felt a sudden burst of feelings inside of her. It’s like her heart did a flip.

“I-I can handle this.” She tugged on the plastic bags handle but Zico took a firm hold onto it.

“I’m here to help you to bring these, so let me.” He gently removed Hara’s soft hands from the bag. His actions made Hara looked away and let him bring the bags in defeat.

As they were about to go back the restaurant, they passed by a fortune teller.

“You.” Hara and Zico stopped their tracks and looked at a 60ish aged ajumma.

“Yes. You two. Come here.” She motioned the two to come.

“No. We don’t want to –“

“Just come.” The ajumma pulled Hara into the tent so Zico followed behind.

“Sit.” She ordered and the two obediently sat.

“You see ghosts.” The ajumma suddenly blurted out, looking at Hara. Zico confusedly glanced at Hara.

“What?” was all that Hara had reacted.

“You must have been mistaken.” Zico tried to defend her.

“No. I know, when you passed by here earlier. I know.” She insisted.

“You’re right.” Hara spoke. Zico looked at her in disbelief.

“I do see ghosts.” She admitted.

“I knew it. And you, you always wanted to see ghost because of a girl.” She turned to Zico.

*Sulli.* Hara guessed.

“Yes. Can you help me?” with Zico’s sudden decision, Hara held his hand quickly.

“I’m sorry. We have to go.” She pulled him out the tent.

“Wait. Wait.” Zico tried to stop her.

“Let’s go.” Hara firmly hold his hand and dragged him back to the restaurant.

“Wait. Stop. What are you doing?!” Zico yanked his hand away. Hara stopped her tracks and looked back at him with gentle eyes.

“Seeing ghosts,” she started. “is not a joke. If you want to see ghosts, you have to think it over. It’s not as easy as you think it is. Let’s go.” Her voice was a bit worried, a bit gentle. Zico softened and didn’t argue anymore.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was another tiring day at the restaurant. Zico and Hara’s minds were still back at what happened earlier.

The clock struck at 12:15am. Hara was still awake in their room.

“Hara.” Daniel tried to catch her attention. Hara was startled. She quickly faced Daniel and Sulli who were both worried.

“Sulli-ssi, mianhae.” Hara looked through her eyes.

“Why are you saying sorry to me?” she replied with a gentle voice.

“Sorry if I didn’t let him be able to see you.”

Sulli sighed and looked at Daniel then replied. “Daniel oppa already explained to me. And I think he’s right. He had seen you suffer and go through troubles ever since you had been able to communicate with ghosts. And you didn’t want that to happen to my oppa.”

Hara nodded and added, “He’s already been through a lot ever since he was a child. I don’t want him to be burdened more to communicating with ghosts. I mean except for you of course. I want you to be able to speak again to each other but when-“ she gazed at her eyes and wasn’t able to continue her sentence because she didn’t want to bluntly say ‘when you leave’ or ‘go to the light’.

“Hara-ssi. I really appreciate your concern to oppa. But in the end, it’s not you nor me who’s going to decide, isn’t it?” Sulli made a point.

“He’s still awake. He can’t sleep.” Daniel cutted in.

“Go. We’ll leave you both to talk. When you’re done, tell us what he had decided.” Sulli gave her a reassuring smile. Hara nodded and went downstairs to the boys’ room.

She knocked lightly then peeked from the door. Everyone was already sleeping but Zico isn’t anywhere inside. She just closed the door and noticed that the front door was open.

She went out and saw Zico sitting on the shore near the waters.

Hara went to get a blanket before she headed out to where he was.

Slowly, Hara took steps to Zico. She then noticed he was holding a picture. As she was walking nearer, she saw that it was a picture of him and Sulli, making funny faces.

Before she sat beside him, she wrapped the blanket to Zico. He quickly wiped his flowing tears and managed to speak.

“You’re still awake.”

“You too.” She replied and sat at the sand as well. Zico continued to stare at the picture.

“You loved her so dearly didn’t you?” Hara nudged at the picture.

“Ne. She’s the only person I had when mom and dad left. For a girl, she was tough. I should be the one protecting her but it always ends up her protecting me.”

“Maybe because she loves you too so much.”

“She did. I know she did. She didn’t even want me to have girlfriend. That’s why whenever girls come to me, she always scares them of.”

“Of course! She’s already your girlfriend so there’s no reason for you to give attention to other girls!” Hara pointed out. Her scolding made Zico taken aback and blinked at her a couple of times.

“Mwo?”

“What ‘what?’? She was a loyal girlfriend to you but you were a horrible boyfriend to her! Aigoo! I can just imagine how you flirt with other girls aside from her like how you flirt with girls back the school. Tsk!”

“Ommo!” Zico bursts into fits of laugher. Hara looked at him up and down with confused look.

“Y-yah! Why are you laughing?! Did I say anything funny?!” she made a bit frown.

Zico composed himself and took deep breaths. “She isn’t my girlfriend. She’s my dongsaeng.”