Marshmallows

You Found Me

 

4,3,7…..

 

What’s the last combination again?

 

I started trying out 0, followed by 1 and so on.

 

“It’s 6.”

 

“Thank y- oh!”

 

Jin Young released the lock and opened his locker door. “You’ve been forgetful lately.”

“Oh…heh…I am?”

I took out two of my notebooks out from the locker before closing it back.

“Yeah.” He said before taking my hand in his. “You left your manuscript book in the library yesterday.”

“So I did leave it there!”

He smiled and zipped open his bag before taking out a familiar book for me.

“I’ll see you after class?” he said. I nodded with a smile.

“Cool.”

He leaned down and pressed a lingering kiss on my forehead before disappearing into the crowd.

First the manuscript book, then my notebook. I even forgot to collect my guitar from the back of the class one day.

And to my surprise, Jin Ah was the one who told me, in a not very polite tone.

“How you can even forget a guitar, it’s practically in front of your eyes.”

 

To be honest, I kind of have to agree with her.

 

“Thanks.” I muttered to her before swinging the strap onto my shoulder. She grabbed my wrist as I was leaving the classroom.

 

“Are you really dating Jin Young oppa?” she asked.

 

Didn’t we have this conversation before?

 

“Yes.”

 

Her fingers curled around my wrist tightly that I let out a cry.

 

“You don’t deserve him.” She said. Her voice was filled with hatred.

 

“Why are we talking about this again?”

 

She started digging her nails into my skin. I pulled my hand back but she held onto it.

“You don’t love him.” She stated.

I sighed. “What do you know about love?”

 

Jin Ah pulled me towards her until our faces were inches away from each other. I held onto my breath as she speaks.

 

“Break up.” She hissed at me. “You don’t deserve him.”

“Why are you so obsessive with him?” I asked, taking a step backwards. “It’s his life, not yours.”

“I know what type of girl are you, the same as his previous girlfriend.”

 

Bringing up my boyfriends’ ex isn’t a good thing, you know?

 

“Look.” I said and looked directly into her eyes. “I don’t know what type of person she is and I don’t want to know. Okay? So could you just leave me alone?”

 

She clenched her fist and raised her voice as she speaks. “You’re just dating oppa because you want to be famous right?”

I exhaled deeply. “No.”

“You’re lying!”

“I- I’m not. Gosh! Grow up will you?!”

 

My vision was blurred out for a while and I felt my cheek burning. That’s when I realised I’ve been slapped.

“I don’t care!” she yelled at me. “You better break up with oppa!”

 

I flinched as I touch the spot where she slapped. Damn she’s strong.

 

“Or what, you’re going to vandalised my locker again?”

 

Jin Ah’s eyes widen for a second before turning into a cold stare. She crossed her arms over her chest and gave me an evil smirk. “Oh honey, that’s just the beginning.”

 

I scoffed and pushed her out of the way for the front door. As I took a step out, her voice echoed from behind.

 

“This time I’ll make sure you’ll leave the school on your own will.”

 

 

 

-

“Is that…..a shell?”

Mrs. Kim chuckled and held up the shell shaped bowl. “Isn’t it cute?

“Yeah, it is.”

 

I tossed my bag on the floor and followed her into the kitchen. A sudden sour taste was felt in my mouth when I smell a weird aroma from the room. I took a deep breath to calm myself before asking, “So what’s for lunch?”

She smiled and washed the shell shaped bowl under the water. “Well, since I’ve got a cute bowl like this, I’ve decided to make your favourite dish.”

I chunk down a whole glass of water and wipe my mouth with the back of my hand. “Er…what is it?” Why does it smell so weird?

 

She dried the plate and walked over to the kitchen counter. “I’m sure you’ll know this.”

 

She started arranging something white onto the plate. I took a closer look on those ingredients.

 

 

Fish fillets….shrimps..

 

 

I gasp. “Seafood au gratin?”

 

Mrs Kim chuckled and nodded her head to the side. “With extra cheese.”

 

 

I went to take a quick shower while she bakes the dish. I really love seafood au gratin, but how come it smells so awful to me today? Why is there a sour taste behind my mouth?

 

I recall back what I ate today and realised I only had two pieces of toast and a glass of milk for breakfast. Ah…maybe I’m just really hungry.

 

I skipped down the stairs just in time to see Mrs Kim putting the bowl on the table. She took off her mittens and smiled at me. As soon as I reached the table, I immediately cover my mouth. Mrs Kim raised her eyebrows at me. “Are you alright?”

 

“Er….yeah.”

 

It smelled awful and I had a sudden urge of throwing up. The food doesn’t look so good today.

 

“That’s a lot of cheese.’ I pointed. She nodded her head.

 

“Just like the way you always wanted.”

 

Oh. Right. Yeah, I love cheese. But I’m not really sure about it anymore….

 

I drank another glass of water before sitting down. “I’m feeling sour.” I admit.

“I think you’re just hungry.” She said.  “I’ll refill your glass.”

 

So it’s just a feeling of being hungry right? I’ll feel better after I eat.

 

I blew on my food to cool it down before putting it into my mouth.

 

One bite. Two bites…Three….urgh…bites…. Four…Four…

 

I dropped the fork and ran to the nearest bathroom before I could even finish my food.

 

 

 

-

I uncapped the marker and drew a cross on the previous date on my calendar.

 

It’s been three days and I’m still having the urge to vomit every time I try to eat. Then I’ll be exhausted and wake up with a bad headache.

 

So I’m back on sour cravings.

 

“Mia, you can’t just eat that.”

“I’m not hungry.” I said, eating another sour candy.

 

Hana sighed and pushed her tray of omelette fried rice in front of me. “Have some solid food.”

I immediately scrunch up my nose and pushed the tray away. “I’m fine.”

“Oh don’t be stubborn. Open your mouth.”

I shook my head and leaned towards Jin Young for help. “I don’t want to eat.” I pouted at him. He patted my back soothingly. “But Hana’s right, you need some food in your stomach. Do you want mine?”

“No…it smells weird.”

 

Gong Chan started laughing but then stopped when Shin Woo clamped a hand over his mouth.

 

Jin Young chuckled and scratched the back of his neck. “So…what do you want to eat?”

I yawned and snuggled closer to him. “I want to sleep.”

“You still have classes to attend.”

“Can I skip?”

 

He smiled at me and kissed my forehead. “Nope.” He said, popping the ‘p’ in between.

I sighed when the bell rang.

“Stupid bell.” I muttered. Jin Young laughed and nudged my cheek with his nose.

“Come on, let’s go.”

 

“Oh!”

 

Jin Young paused and looked at me. “Yes?”

I smiled sheepishly at him. “I feel like eating something spicy.”

 

 

 

-

I was feeling better after a few days. I started eating again, but only in small portion to avoid myself from puking again.

I finally handed up my assignments and felt at ease after that.

Jin Young and I stopped by the café that we have long forgotten to grab some drink. My mind drifted back to the barista that always give me extra marshmallow.

 

It’s like on cue the bell above the door chime and a breathless man came running inside.

 

“Sorry!” he said and bowed all the way into the cafe. “Got caught up with school and- oof!”

I chuckled at him as he tripped over his own feet.

The man that was mixing a drink laughed at him. “It’s okay. Just get in here.”

He quickly stood up and fixed his cap. “Sorry..I was just…”

 

I smiled at him when he pointed a finger at me. “Hi.” I waved.

 

Ji Ho’s lips curve into a huge smile. “Hi!” he waved back at me. “How’re you? I haven’t seen you for a while!”

We both walked towards each other and met halfway. “I’m fine.” I said, not really sure myself. “How about you?”

He stuffed his hands into his trousers pocket and nodded with a smile. “I’m good.”

 

“Yah Woo Ji Ho! Get your in here and stop flirting!”

 

He ducked his head and muttered to me. “Gotta go!”

 

I walked back towards Jin Young just in time he took out his wallet to pay. “Who is that?” he asked.

“Marshmallow guy.” I said.

“Wha-? Who….oh..” Jin Young frowned at me. “Why are you talking to him?”

“Why can’t I?”

He pouted. “I don’t like the way he’s flirting with you.”

“He’s not…flirting….” I sighed and rolled my eyes. “Besides, I already have you.”

Jin Young’s pout turn into sly grin. “Yeah, you’re right.” He leaned in a peck my lips. I pushed him away.

“Hey, we’re in public.” I said. He shrugged his shoulder and stole another kiss from me before taking the drinks from the man in front, which happens to be Ji Ho.

“Oh!” I said.

Ji Ho smiled at me softly and pointed on the tray.

“Extra marshmallows.” We both said at the same time and laughed.

“Come on.” Jin Young tugged my arm and led me to the table furthest away from the counter. I mouthed ‘sorry’ to Ji Ho and he shook his head with a smile.

 

“Wee~” I sang and popped the marshmallows in my mouth.

 

Jin Young pouted at me again. “I don’t like that guy.”

“You’re just jealous because he didn’t give you any.” I said and waved the white fluffy sweet in front of his face.

He sighed. “I’m serious, Mia. I just…don’t like him.”

 

“He’s a nice guy, okay?”

“And how do you know that?”

I stir my drink slowly and drank it.

“Have you guys been talking?” Jin Young asked.

“I do come here alone sometimes.” I shrugged. He sighed again. “How come you never mention about him?”

“I knew you’ll be like this.” I said. He looked at me for a moment before taking my hand into his.

“Look, I know I’m overreacting about this but….please at least tell me, okay? I don’t want you to be in trouble or get hurt.”

 

I am already in trouble and hurt.

 

“Sorry.”

He smiled and scooted closer to me. “Don’t say that.” I smiled back at him.

“Anyways, if he ever make you cry or hurt you, tell me okay? I’ll make sure to beat the hell out of him.”

I blinked at him. “Do you…mean it?”

“Of course.”

I tighten the grip on his hands. “So you’re saying…if anyone ever makes me cry or hurt me…you will…you will kill them for me?”

“Wow I didn’t say kill.” He said with a laugh. “But I will make sure they would never see the sunlight.”

 

All sorts of emotion were flipping in my chest all of a sudden. I leaned in and gave him a kiss on his cheek. Jin Young looked at me surprised before returning one to me.

“I’m stealing one of these.” He said to the white sweet. I smiled.

 

 

Can you kill my stepbrother then?