The Pain Will Let You Know

What is Love? (사랑은 무엇인가?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Sun Ji-ah, you don’t need to do that” her grandpa stood as she led her to the couch. They sat down side by side. Her grandpa held her hands. Kris and Tao were also sitting in front of them. They were shocked by what Sun Ji just blurted a while ago. “I want to do it. If it will help the company, I will do it” she assured her grandpa who had a very worried look on his face.

“But how about your boyfriend?” the old man asked. She felt a tug inside. “Honestly, I don’t know what’s happening with us right now. Right now, I don’t want to talk about him” she answered. Tao already knew about their situation. Kris just kept quiet. He’s not that stupid to not have an idea about what’s happening with her and Jong In.

“I don’t really want to go on with this plan. What will I say to your father if you insist? I promised your grandmother that I will not let her only granddaughter to have arranged marriage” her grandpa shook his head. “I will tell dad about it. I know he will be against it but I don’t want my family to suffer like this with me doing nothing” she squeezed the old man’s hands. Kris felt something painful when he heard that. “And if grandma’s alive, she’ll understand me” she smiled.

Junmyeon and Minseok also did not want that plan to go on but the stubbornness of their sister won. “You’re very young and you know that you have more things lined up for you in the future. If you go on with that arranged marriage, you’ll tie yourself” Minseok held his sister’s shoulder.

“I’ll worry about the future when it comes. What I’m worried about is now” she answered. “Sun Ji-ah, think about it one more time. What about Jong In? I mean he’s---” “Oppa, I’m sure about what I’m going to do. Jong In will understand… probably” she cut Junmyeon’s statement before he even brings up the guy who just tossed the chance that she gave.

Her father also gave up in arguing with her. His heart is aching that his only daughter will be pushed into an arranged marriage just to save the company. He’s totally against it but Sun Ji’s stubbornness won him over. “If you want to step out of this matter even in the last seconds, I will always be here to support you, okay?” he hugged her daughter tightly – knowing that she’ll be living a different life after the marriage.

 

“Are you okay?” Tao asked Kris when they were alone at the study room. “I’m not. I just hate this. Sun Ji’s being sacrificed because of that bastard’s actions. Wu family my ” he shut his eyes tightly.

“If I go there now and be a part of their crooked family, will they stop doing this?” Kris suddenly asked. “Don’t ever think of doing that” Tao warned him. “If you do that, I ‘ll come and drag you back”

Kris looked at his brother. “Why are you always good to me when I did nothing good to you?” he asked. “Because that’s what families do, right?” Tao asked him back. Kris looked at the floor. He never considered Tao as family from the time that he understood about his twisted family history. Kris hated him for being too good to him because he knows that he’s not capable of reciprocating the goodness that his brother was giving him.

“You did a very good thing to me in the past, remember?” Tao asked. Kris looked at him with his blank expression. “I see, you forgot. There was this time when we were at school and the other kids were teasing me. I remember I was crying at that time. Then, you came and told the kids to not make fun of me. Do you remember that?”

Kris tried to recall that situation. He smiled. *That’s almost 13 years ago, he still remembers that?* “That’s because you really look ugly when you cry. And besides, I really can’t stand seeing someone being made fun of” Kris explained. Tao just pouted. “But you know what? From that day, I promised myself that I will grow up to be just cool as you” Tao confessed.

Kris chuckled. “Good luck to that promise of yours” “Why? Am I not cool right now?” Tao complained. Kris shrugged. “Not at all”

“But I always wear your underwear and even your shirts, why is it not working?” Tao scratched his head. “You what?!” Kris yelled. Tao got out of the room immediately.

 

Sun Ji looked at her phone which was ringing the whole time. Jong In was calling her non-stop. Just saying his name was painful. She turned her phone off. Before knowing it, tears came flowing from her eyes. She buried her face on her pillow. *What am I going to do? Is this really what I want? I must be really crazy. But I want to help my family. And with what’s happening with us, this is the right thing to do right? But why is my heart like this? Why am I---*

The door opened. She hurriedly wiped her tears and cleared throat. “O-Oppa” she looked at the tall figure at the door. “May I come in?” Chanyeol asked. She nodded. He closed the door and walked towards the chair near her bed. He placed the glass of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter