The Third Wheel

What is Love? (사랑은 무엇인가?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Calm down girl* Sun Ji told herself as she took a deep breath.  Then, she flashed a bright smile like nothing was bothering her. She walked in wide strides as she hurriedly made her way to where her boyfriend was. The other girl was still clinging on him like a monkey.

She never felt that jealous before. Now, she understands why Jong In doesn’t like seeing her with Chanyeol. She was totally pissed off – like hell. “Oppa” she called him out in a very cute manner that she herself felt like she’s gonna puke any moment.

Jong In and the other girl turned to Sun Ji. He was not startled at all – even with the other girl clinging on his arm in front of his girlfriend! The other girl’s face screamed confusion. She looked at Sun Ji then at Jong In. “Did you buy anything?” he asked with a composed tone. Sun Ji nodded then she smiled sweetly. “I bought a pretty pendant. How about you? Oppa, I’m hungry. Do you want to eat somewhere near?”

“I think I’m gonna buy this one” he pointed to the cap that he was wearing. “I know some place that you’ll like” he ruffled Sun Ji’s hair with his right hand – the other hand still being monopolized by the unknown rival girl. He looked at the other girl. “Why don’t you join us?”

Sun Ji almost killed Jong In when he invited the other girl to eat with them but she controlled herself from strangling her boyfriend to death. Sun Ji smiled at the other girl. “Yeah, why not join us?” she asked with a forced smile which appeared as a very sweet and bright one. The other girl removed her hands which were wrapped on his arm then she looked at Jong In. “Okay, if you insist”

Jong In left the two of them to pay the cap that he chose. There was an awkward silence.

 

“Chanyeol-ah! Let’s eat!” Baekhyun yelled as he knocked on his friend’s door. No one’s opening the door. “Chanyeol-ah!” he yelled again. Suddenly, he heard a thud. “Yah! Are you okay?” he pounded the door as hard as he can. “Yah! Open this ing door!”

Chanyeol groaned as he tried to sit up. He just fell from the chair that he was seated as he was taking a nap after almost 24 hours of staying up just for his term paper. He rubbed his which was aching from the fall. He heard Baekhyun’s frantic pounding and screaming. “Aish” he cursed as he kicked his chair. “I’m so sleepy and my hurts” he dishevelled his hair as he stood. He looked at his table where his term paper and exhausted laptop was lying. “At least I finished it” his face lit up with a contented smile.

“Yah! Park Chanyeol! If you don’t open this door I will kill you!” Chanyeol glared at the door when he heard that. “Yah! Pa--”

He opened the door and a very worried Baekhyun was standing in front of him. “Are you okay?” he immediately asked. “I’m okay. It’s not like I’m dead. Why are you disturbing my beauty sleep?” he retorted while looking down at his friend. “What’s that sound that I heard a while ago?”

“That? My heart just dropped on the floor” he answered. “Yah!” Baekhyun kicked his leg. “Ouch!” he rubbed his leg then looked up at him with his eyes wide open. “I fell hard on my because of that inconsiderable chair!” he pointed at the chair which was lying on the floor.

“Thank you for answering my question” Baekhyun nodded sarcastically as he turned away and started walking towards the dining area. “Ouch” he muttered as he rubbed his leg once again. “What is wrong with him?”

Luhan, Jongdae and Baekhyun were already seated when Chanyeol reached the dining area. Egg rolls, kimchi fried rice, crab stew – courtesy of Jongdae’s mom, kimchi, sausage and other side dishes were prepared on the table. Chanyeol gulped as he rubbed his tummy. He sat on one of the seats just beside Baekhyun.

He grabbed his spoon then quickly scooped some soup. He smiled – satisfied by the taste. “Yah, you look really worn out. You should take some rest today. Your dark circles are going to bury you down on the ground if you don’t take some sleep” Luhan told him while munching.

“I’m planning on that. It’s one of the things on top of my list. I’m gonna hibernate and just shut down this day” he nodded then continued eating. He looked at Jongdae then at Baekhyun. “You don’t have practice today?” he asked.

“Of course we have. Aish, it will be hell again when we return at the practice room” Jongdae pouted. “Yah, we’re eating. Stop cursing” Luhan warned him. Chanyeol looked around.

“Oh? Where’s Kyungsoo?” he asked when he noticed that he was not around. “Why are you asking like you don’t know where he is? He’s with his girlfriend somewhere having a date” Baekhyun answered. “Ah, I forgot” he mumbled.

“Yah~ With that being said, it looks like everyone except the three of us don’t have dates” Luhan looked at Baekhyun and Jongdae. “Kyungsoo has Rina, Suho’s going out with Sena, Minseok’s dating Hana, Kris and Seyeon are going steady and even my cousin – Jae Young is dating that bubble tea Sehun. What is happening with us?”

“The four of us you mean?” Chanyeol looked at him. “Ah, that’s right” Luhan mumbled as he bit his chopsticks. Jongdae’s phone rang. He looked at the screen and a wide grin came to his face. “Sorry guys, but it seems like it’s going to be the three of you – excluding me” he told them as he stood and hurriedly answered his phone. “Hello? Yeni?” he asked while walking to the living room. Baekhyun glared at him. “I can’t believe he’s still flirting with that dancer” he shook his head. “Like you don’t know him that much?” Chanyeol sarcastically asked. Baekhyun kicked him under the table. “Ouch! Why do you keep on kicking me? Did I do something wrong?”

“Shut up” Baekhyun hissed as he shoved a spoonful of rice in his mouth. “Are you having your period or what?” Chanyeol asked which earned another beating. Baekhyun was having fun with what he’s doing – maybe just for now – just for a slight time for him to forget his big problem. Luhan sighed out of the blue. “I wish I can go to a very sweet and romantic date soon”

Baekhyun stopped hitting Chanyeol when he heard that. They both looked at Luhan. “What’s wrong with him?” they both asked.

 

Setting aside Luhan’s romantic dream date, Sun Ji was having a very uncomfortable date. She took a sip of her pineapple juice then she lazily looked at the girl who was sitting across the table enjoying her chocolate cake. Yoo Jin, Jong In’s middle school and high school classmate. When Sun Ji went to the U.S., he met Yoo Jin and they became friends. Jong In never mentioned her. Well, he doesn’t have any reason to talk about her with his girlfriend. Not until now.

 “So how have you been?” Jong In asked Yoo Jin. “I’ve been better. But I have to say that it was hard living in New York these past years. I was always sad whenever I see people dancing on street performances because they remind me of you”

Sun Ji rolled her eyes. *Is she really saying that with me here, after being introduced as his girlfriend?* She looked at Yoo Jin and studied how she talked and acted. She has brown long hair with the tips slightly curled. She’s just Sun Ji’s height and she’s fair. She’s pretty cute. “Do want anything?” Jong In squeezed Sun Ji’s hand. She snapped out of her daydreaming as she shook her head. Just for a split second, Sun Ji thought she saw Yoo Jin frown by what Jong In did. 

“Ah oppa, are you going to take Performing Arts when you graduate?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter