Peace

What is Love? (사랑은 무엇인가?)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mom will be coming today” Tao informed his brother who was busy making an orange juice for himself. Kris’s face was obviously saying that that’s not a good idea. Tao waited for his brother’s reply but nothing came out from Kris’s mouth.

Tao sat on the couch and turned the TV on. With a bored face, he changed the channel. He stretched his long limbs then laid his head on one of the pillows. Lay came out from his room while rubbing his eye. He had this blank face that made him look like a person who took drugs.

“Morning” Lay mumbled as he made his way to the bathroom. As soon as he closed the door he shrieked like a crazy woman. He came out from the bathroom jumping up and down with his eyes wide open.

Tao was laughing like a madman. He was rolling over the carpeted floor while looking at Lay. “How can you be fooled like that?” Kris coolly asked Lay while taking a sip from his glass of orange juice.

“You know there’s something in there?” Lay looked at Kris in disbelief. “I saw him put those things there as soon as I woke up” Kris replied. Tao put fake blood on the shower, long hair on the drain, and a fake hand at the back of the sliding glass door.

“Why did you not tell me?” Lay asked again. “Then I would not be looking at that face of yours” Kris grinned. Tao can’t stop laughing from the look of Lay’s face. He was pale like a sheet of paper. Lay attacked Tao with the pillows on the couch.

 

Kris felt the day moving slowly. He was bored to death and was just staring at the clock in front of their classroom. He shut his eyes tightly and massaged the temples of his head. He was seriously thinking about his mother. There should be a good reason why their mother is suddenly coming to Seoul. He thought of many possibilities such as their hotel in China not doing well or another arranged marriage that their mom would be pushing. He thought maybe he already needed to take his place in managing their hotel and leave the people he got accustomed to. He felt a tug inside – the thought of leaving was painful.

As their teacher announced the dismissal of their class, Kris opened his eyes. He took a deep breath and looked outside. A perfect view of the soccer field caught his attention. *Is he playing?* He asked himself as he stood. A part of him wanted to watch the game but the other part hated that idea. *Luhan…* the voice inside his head said that name in a sad but spiteful tone. He shook his head then headed outside.

The sun was already setting down. He walked straight to where his car was parked. Suddenly, his phone rang; it was their mother. “Hello?”

Their mother told him that she’s at their apartment – waiting for them. He drove his car to their place still thinking about why their mother decided to come.

He reached their apartment building in no time.

He took a deep breath then opened the door of their apartment. His eyes narrowed. “What are you doing here?” Kris’s voice was so cold. His face can’t hide the anger that he was feeling. He saw his mother standing at the other side of the room with a worried and sorry expression. She looked like a different person. His gaze returned to the man who was standing near him. He was as tall as he was. He had the same pair of eyes as Kris. His face showed no sadness but a pride.

“You grew up well, my son” the man said as he tried to take a step near Kris. Kris took a step back – avoiding the man from touching him. “Yeah… I grew up well. No thanks to you” his voice had a hint of disgust and anger. The man just smiled – not a smile to cover sadness but a smile showing that he was mocking Kris.

“I see you grew up to be just like me. You really have the blood of the Wu family – fierce” the man nodded as if he was agreeing with what he just said. Kris felt a bitter taste in his mouth. He felt angry with what he just heard. He hated the fact that he has the surname Wu – one of the most powerful families in China. He hated the man standing in front of him. He hated his father for leaving them like garbage on the street and caring about his money more than his own son.

Kris smiled mockingly. “I grew up not like you. As far as I know I’m not a piece of garbage just like you. Now, if you don’t want to see a fiercer me, get the hell out of here” Kris politely told the man with his calm but cold voice. Kris saw his mother shaking from fear. She never saw his son like that before.

The man nodded but his pride was still there. “I see. But let me say something… Once a Wu always a Wu… If you made up your mind, the Wu family will welcome you with open arms…”

Kris felt his insides rumbling. *You’re joking… You’re out of your mind. Welcome me with open arms? You dumped us like nothing when your family told you… Welcome me? What kind of BS are you talking about?*

“Don’t tire yourself… I will not come running to your embrace…” Kris forced a genuinely smile. The man nodded then got out of their apartment.

Kris looked at his mother. “I’m sorry for taking him here… He said that if he does not see you, he will take you from me with force and the company will be involved. And---” his mother was shaking and was crying. It was the first time that Kris saw her like that. He hated how cold and strict his mother was but he hated it more that she was hurt. No matter how he hated her, he can’t take the fact that his heart was hurting as well seeing her like that. She’s the one who took care of him after all those years. He felt sad.

Kris hugged her tightly. It was the first time he did something like that. “I’m not going anywhere. Don’t cry” he said while comforting her.

His mother felt how sincere he was. It made her cry more. After all those years that she made Kris tough for the real world, she can now put her guard down. She felt sorry for those years. She felt sorry for putting a cold front whenever Kris was around. She felt sorry for treating his son like that. With the warm embrace of his son, she felt at peace.

 

Chanyeol kept on strumming his guitar. It was the only way for him to get his mind into something else but Sun Ji. One of the strings gave up. He sighed then put his guitar down. His fingers were in pain.

*You’re such a sore loser Chanyeol. What are you doing with your life? Will you die if you don’t have her? Jong In seems a good guy. Just be happy for her okay?*

He threw his hands up as he fell on his bed. He stared at the ceiling with a blank expression. He looked around. It was so quiet that he felt he’s going to be deaf. Baekhyun and Jongdae were out for their practice. Luhan was on a soccer practice. And…Kyungsoo was with his family for their family dinner. Loneliness brought a frown on his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter