Mother Knows Best

15 Things I Want To Do Before I Die

I woke up on HongKi's shoulder. "Are we there yet?" "Almost, how'd you sleep?" "Fine, what about you?" "I'm excited to see my mom and sister." "So you didn't sleep?" "Not really. I'll be fine though." "How old is your sister?" "Thirteen," "And you two are close?" He nodded, "Pretty close." "I can't wait to meet your family." He took my hand in his and stared out the window.

"But if they don't like me..." HongKi kissed me into silence, "Stop worrying. It gives me a headache." He pressed the buzzer. "It's open," a man said. HongKi pushed open the gate and went over to the sliding door. We took off our shoes and went inside. No one was there to greet us. He didn't seem surprised and just led me over to the couch to sit. "Are they home?" I asked. A crash sounded in the kitchen. "Are they alright?" "They're just in a hurry." "A hurry?" "Preparing a meal." "Should I help?" "You? No. But I'll go check on them." He got up and walked into the direction of the racket. "So, you're a clutz?" I jumped. "I'm Jae Yong," she smiled. "I'm Lydia." "So, you're American?" she sat down beside me. "Yeah," "That's cool. What's it like?" "Uh, different." "I bet. Do people still walk or do they fly?" "Uh, they walk." "Huh," "I see you two have met," HongKi smiled. "She seems odd," Jae Yong said. "So do you," HongKi sat down again. "Mother is looking for you." "Fine," she got up and left. "Don't let her scare you. She's really sweet." "I'm not worried about her." He laughed.

I stared in awe at all the food on the table. "How could someone make so much food?" "My mom didn't know what you liked." "But isn't this a bit excentric?" "Don't look at it that way." "How else can I look at it? It looks like she could feed a whole country!" HongKi wrapped his arms around me from behind. "Just don't make her feel bad, okay? She's had enough problems from me over the years." "Were you a troublemaker?" He frowned. "HongKi was a badboy," Jae Yong said. HongKi quickly pulled away from me. "Gosh, don't mind me. Be as much lovey-dovey as you want. I'm not a kid." HongKi and I just sat down. Jae Yong sat down across from HongKi. There was an awkward silence until two adults entered. I started to rise and HongKi shoved me back into my seat. "What?" I hissed. The two adults sat down. Everyone stopped fiddling and said together, "Jalmukesumneda" (I hope that's right :P) The food was passed around.

Once everyone's plates were full and people were eating HongKi was the first to talk, "Um, so how are your holidays?" "They're quite alright. Why don't you introduce us to your girlfriend already?" "Um, this is Lydia. Lydia, this is my mom, Jae Yong, and my father." (i found that he has a father in law which i took as a stepfather but i dont think they ever call them that in korea so i'll just go with calling him father though he's stepfather, okay?) I bowed my head, "It's nice to meet you." "So, where are you from?" "America," "Really?" his father asked. "Where abouts?" "East coast," "Wow, it must be nice." "It's pretty good. I prefer Korea though." "Obviously or you wouldn't be here," Jae Yong smiled. "How'd you two meet?" his mother asked. "Uh, similiar friends introduced us at a karaoke bar." "Oh, you sing too?" she asked. "No, I can't sing. I dance." "Really?" his sister asked. "Can you show us later?" I became really embarrassed. "You dance?" HongKi whispered. I laughed. "Um, I don't think I'd be very comfortable. Maybe some other time?" I whispered to HongKi, "I'm not very good." He rolled his eyes.

"How long have you two known each other?" "Uh, three months?" HongKi questioned. "About," I agreed. "And you've been together for a couple days?" "Uh, officially a week. Unofficially a week and a half." "Unofficially?" Jae Yong asked. "According to the media a week," HongKi corrected himself. "I heard you two make a cute couple," his mother said. "Really? Where'd you hear that?" HongKi asked. "I did my research. Apparently all of Korea knew how perfect you two were before I even knew you two were together." I heard her frustration but didn't understand it. "Does your family know about the relationship?" "I'm not really close to my family," I said poking at the meat on my plate. HongKi noticed and took it onto his plate. "What's wrong?" his father asked. "Red meat makes Lyd nauseous." The smell had already gotten to me. I was trying not to do anything to have to run to the restroom. "So, what are you in Korea for?" "She's on vacation." "Vacation? You're dating a girl publicly and she's only on vacation?" his father asked. I sipped my water. "Excuse me a moment," I got up and went in search for the restroom.

I came back and stopped before entering. "What makes her so special? She barely puts two words together and she has no respect." "Mother," "She's not overly pretty. I don't see what you see in her at all. I don't think this relationship is a good idea." The door hadn't been closed all the way and I peered through the crack. Jae Yong sat there staring at me feeling sorry for me. My phone vibrated and I turned around the corner and checked the text. "Is everything going well?" it was from the other members. "She doesn't like me," I replied. "What? Why not?" "Apparently I have no manners and I'm not pretty enough." "Well, she's a fool. You're eating, aren't you? You're always more awkward while you eat." So they had noticed my nausea. "Just be sure to be yourself after dinner. We'll call you later." I slipped my phone back in my pocket and entered the dining room. It was silent. "Sorry, I got a phone call," I explained sitting down. "Who was it?" HongKi asked. "Just some friends," I replied. HongKi whispered in my ear, "I'm sorry about this." I gave him a weak smile. He placed a hand on my thigh comfortingly.

HongKi brought me to the living room. "But I want to help clean up." "Guests can't help." We sat down and I leaned my head against him. "Who actually called?" "The guys asked how it was going." "And you said?" "Your mother thinks I have no manners and I'm not pretty enough for you." HongKi laughed, "You heard that?" "You're just nervous. Just be yourself," he smiled.