★ Demon's Sonata [92%]

[On Glory's Edge] The Archives
FICTION BIO
Demon's Sonata
by ilovpocky93
 
Featuring: Teen Top
Type: Chaptered
Genre: Angst, Fantasy, Romance
Main Characters: L.joe
Status: Ongoing (reviewed with 3)
Rated: None
Warnings: Religious Topics
 
DESCRIPTION
This story is about a boy's violin.
A violin that changed his life tremendously.
Meet L.Joe.
A violin prodigy.
The new kid in the school.
The guy that will have to put up with a devilish lady every single day.
EXCERPT
L.joe brought the bow up and drew it against the strings. A smooth sound flowed right out of the violin as L.joe changed the notes, progressing through the piece, creating a haunting yet inciting melody. He knew this piece was technically demanding but he'd rather play it leisurely instead of being pressured to be a perfectionist like he usually was. L.joe enjoyed the freedom he had now. He had already forgotten about the world outside these four walls, when he shut his eyes and let the music surround him.
Story Review by Superkpopian (276/300 - 92%)
Title (19/20)
The title was perfect. It lets the reader know what the story is going to be about without revealing too much. It links well with the theme of your story and has a nice sound to it, although adding 'the' to the beginning would make it smoother. Short and sweet is exactly what you want in a title. 
Foreword and Description (38/40)

The double message in the beginning of the description was really clever and unique. I would cut out the rest of the description as this part alone gives the reader enough information. The double meaning is intriguing enough to get people reading your foreword.

I'm going to assume that the foreword is a kind of background to the rest of the story. It's a really good idea as it provides that information without bogging you down in the actual story. On another note I did notice a few minor punctuation mistakes. “God, let Guissepe” doesn’t need the comma as it makes it sound stilted, so does “naming it, the”. Other than that the foreword captures my interest and makes me want to the rest of the story.

Readability (38/40)

I don't really know what to say in this section other than it was really easy to read. The few mistakes you did have weren't distracting however I would refrain from using & instead of and as it's incorrect
Characterization (40/50)
I like what I have read so far in terms of characterization yet I do feel like you could spend a bit more time in the first chapter developing your characters. Rather than 'telling' your readers about what they like or dislike try to 'show' them through your character's actions or reactions to events as it makes for a more engaging read. 
The next thing I wanted to point out is that or someone who’s just been abducted from school and wakes up in a strange corridor L.joe seems pretty relaxed. As a reader I’d freak out if that happened to me so I kind of expect L.joe to be the same, not just say "well that was...freaky". This kind of story needs the build up of tension and the blase reaction L.joe has towards certain events seems unrealistic. 
I'm also a little confused as to what Park Eunbi's role is in the story. I know it's only three chapters in but but she hasn't appeared again after the first few paragraphs which makes me wonder how major of a character she is. If you're going to use her again later on I would insert her into the third chapter some where, even if L.joe just glances at her as he walks to the nurse's office. At least then she's still in the loop and not just popping up because she's needed for certain events. If she isn't going to appear again I wouldn't focus in her description as much, just a fleeting comment or two.

I’m assuming that the girl L.joe meets in the creepy room is the devil. If so her gestures are off putting e.g. she sighed and slapped her forehead or she smirked and flicked his forehead. These gestures come off as kind of cutesy for the devil, if you know what I mean. I’d expect him/her to be cold, not engaging in physical contact or slapping him/herself in the head. It was just something odd for me personally and detracts from the believability of the character.

Also I’m a little confused with Ahn Cheonsa. Does L.joe know her or not? I’m going to assume she’s the girl he met in the creepy room. It wasn’t clear whether l.joe was confused by her presence or just interested in her or whether she was familiar to him, which is something you will probably want to clarify if you don’t want to confuse people.

That aside I really like where you’re going with your characters and I see some potential for great development.

Originality (30/30)
This plotline is really unique, especially with the deal L.joe makes with the devil. There's a lot you can do with an idea like this and I'm really interested in seeing where it goes. 
Plotline (80/90)

I’ve only read the first three chapters so I don’t know what else is going to happen but I really like where it’s going so far. It seems to be well developed at this pointand I like the link between the foreword and the rest of the story. The only complaint I have is that it’s a little rushed, it’s difficult to contain yourself when you get an awesome idea like this but taking some time to develop things is definitely worth it. A rushed or “jumpy” story can sometimes be hard to read and has the potential to leave readers in a head spin with the amount of information you're bombarding them with. I’m looking forward to seeing what else comes out of this plot.

Structure / Mechanics (25/30)

Overall it is well structured however there are a few minor things. In the first part it where it says “school ended an hour a go and there was probably no one left in the highschool” could be left at 'no one left', it sounds odd if you get a repetition of words and we get that he’s in a school without being told twice.

The second paragraph has an over use of the word ‘he’, try to find some other way to start the sentence so you avoid getting repetitive. I would also ‘show’ rather than ‘tell’ that there is something off about the music room e.g. “with an uneasy fumble for the switch the room was illuminated in cold fluorescent light”. With fantasy/supernatural fics you can be more descriptive and it definitely pays off as it makes it easier for readers to engage and imagine what’s going on rather than being told straight out what’s happening.

Sentences like “placed the papers on a stand before he walked back to the piano to get the violin and walk back” sound tiresome, cut out the “and walk back” and maybe change the “get” to “retrieve” as the reader will assume he walks back to the stand, find ways to be descriptive but not repetitive. With a little tweaking this fic is going to be awesome.

Bonus (+6)
I really like what you're doing with the idea of the demon deal, it's unique and I applaud you for that. I also really liked the description of the demon's appearance while she was playing the violin and her icy blue eyes which provide her character with a sense of foreboding.
Reader's View
Oh my lawd when are you going to update this? I really, really want to see where this goes as it's different from your run of the mill fics. I also really like your poster for it :D 
Additional Comments / Final Score (276/300 - 92%)
Not much to say here other than job well done and thank you for being my first review :D
Credit
Don't forget to credit back to our shop, link required!