★ Fighting Perfection [94]

[On Glory's Edge] The Archives
FICTION BIO

Fighting Perfection
by shawolistic

 
Featuring: EXO
Type: Chaptered
Genre: Angst, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life
Main Characters: Kai, Sehun, OC
Status: Complete
Rated: None
Warnings: None

 
Note: Poster cropped to fit.
DESCRIPTION

Compared to the bright blue summer sky, she thought she was the dull grey winter clouds.

Compared to the crystal clear waters of the river, she thought she was the murky waters of a neglected pond.

Compared to her dazzling younger sister, she thought she was just a silhouette of a figure, which would ultimately submerge into the approaching darkness.

EXCERPT
I faltered back a step or two, rendered incapable of speech. Was it because he looked like the princes, which fairy tales talked about elaborately or was it because I was thrown at the mouth of reality yet once again? Was it because I felt something in my heart I had never felt before or was it because I was shown my place and judged by my looks like always?
Story Review by xODarkMistOx (94/100)
Title (4.5/5)
This title perfectly fits your story! It pretty much explains the entire thing, and the basis of it. However, this title wasn't that original, neither is it very eye catching, in my own opinion since I've seen some titles close to this. However, you actually stayed true to it. A lot of other stories I've read that have to do with the "imperfect girl" usually have the OCs ending up perfect. But you stayed true and whole to it. The entire story goes through with the main character fighting something, her own feelings and a little something more. It was after I finished reading your fic, that I realized something.
Truth be told, while reading your story I was bored most or half of the time. But what kept me so interested was the thought of how this story would match or coexist with the title. I then realized that I was bored, because it was so, so very realistic. And then that it was in its own way, perfection.
The phrase 'fighting perfection' is very well used. It basically describes your characters and universe. Your characters, universe, they are all so normal, but fight perfection in their own ways. They have a change to be perfect but they aren't. The characters have high changes of being perfect but they aren't. You've written them to be so real, raw, and believeable that it feels like this story can belong to maybe any seventeen year old girl, minus the rich family.
This comes to question what is perfection? We think we know what it is, but then if you think deeply into it. We've just created some sort of idea of perfection, and this is what your story goes into. Your character seems to talk in a very elegant, formal, and noble way. But there are times when she just is so overwhelmed that she talks like a normal person.
I get the feeling that she tries to be perfect, but she also fights it. This is proven when Jieun points out her hyprocracy of beauty. It comes together as a double standard, and fighting perfection is almost your character's whole existence, which in turn, creates the perfect title.

Foreword and Description (10/10)

Your foreword and description were spot on. The description was a very nice and elegant style of explaining what your character is like without giving away anything fully. I also loved your description. It was nice change from the usual "younger sister is jealous of the older one" and I really liked how you put that quote.
"I don't look up to you, I don't have any reason to but somewhere in my heart I do feel looked down upon."
This quote is key in knowing how the story goes out. The main character doesn't really look up to anyone but herself. She relies on herself to pick herself up after something bad has happened. I feel like this quote describes the relationship with Jieun, her little sister. Correct me if I am wrong. But after I read the story and then reread the quote, it fit perfectly to me. She doesn't look up to her little sister, but she feels looked down upon because she doesn't feel loved and such.
It was then that I looked deeper into story and realized that the quote isn't extreme. It doesn't show extreme hatred or extreme care, it's right down the middle. It thus shows the more originality of your story in which the siblings relationship isn't tainted by the sibling rivarly.

Originality (9/10)

I can pretty much say that you took majority of every single cliche thing in the fanfiction writing world, or general writing world, and shattered it to bits with your typing. Really well done!
Your character is unlike all the other OC stories I've read. She's very normal. And there isn't anything about her that makes her seem out of ordinary. She is like your girl next door almost. A lot of the time I read stories and their character keeps moping on and on about how they're nothing special or everything is written in a cheesy way. It's quite hard to actually write a good OC story but I think you did it just right!
Your character didn't do random character personality flips. She changed, but really slowly, just like any human would. Writers usually get lazy and develope their characters quickly, but you took the time and did it slowly and I didn't really notice the change. It all just meleded together.
I do have one small thing to pick though. Despite majority of the story's originality with the very realistic and three dimensional characters, there is something that I can never miss. The love triangle. This is the only cliche thing you did in the story, and I felt at times that parts of this story were the traditional regular love triangle fic. That part wasn't really special, but the rest of it was very original. The characters, the universe, despite it all being so so realistic and believeable, it was readible and enjoyable.
I have read so many stories trying to achieve what you did in this story. They tried creating a story of a girl who tries to fight herself almost, in her battle with perfection. They usually never make it to the bar with that story, but you have. You have taken a highly cliche story base, but turned it into something so raw that it's amazing. I have never seen such a skill and professional way of writing (also by the way, I absolutely loved Saturation as well).
Characterization (10/10)
Your characters are something that I can call 'actual people'. When I read this story, I could pinpoint a character that matched someone I knew in real life. This absolutely amazed me at how realistic it was.
Your OC was something of amazing intelligence, sarcasm, and wit. She read books all the time, but couldn't truly call herself smart because she just restated what she read. She had plenty of flaws, which surely pissed me off, excellent character indeed (considering you pissed me off at the correct times and not just because of her character). I also enjoyed how she could be talking prim and proper one second, and then be spouting swear words and talking normally the next. It really showed the two layers of her, and I could understand how everyone has that sort of personality.
Sehun was an interesting character. I understood how he sort of used your OC as an emotional crutch, as if she was his goal. He had tried so hard to make her love him, that he just ended up pushing her away. What I really like is how the Oc didn't end up resenting him for it, but helped him get through his emotional mess and confusion.
Kai. Kai was probably one of my favorite characters. I absolutely LOVE the part about how the character is getting to know Kim Jongin, and not Kai. Despite the usage of 'the stage name versus the real name' to utilize as a slight split personality or housing of inner feelings, I thoroughly enjoyed. The way you wrote made me just WANT it to happen and have Kai explain Kim Jongin.
Jieun was a very amazing character honestly. Throughout the story she is described as the voice of reason almost. But there is a point in which she snaps and when that happened, it reminded me of an older story I wrote. The line went something like 'not all angels are pure' and it really fit at that time. Jieun was the voice of reason, but somehow still had a three dimensional personality. As even she, had a breaking point.
Readability (14.5/15)
You write amazingly. Bottom line, I'm not going to beat around the bush. Simply, amazing. You write with such elegance and poise, it makes me wonder how you reached this point in your skill. I love how you describe and explain emotions, it just seems so real.
There were a few grammar mistakes, I didn't copy all of them down but I did remember two:
“And so were you mine.” this one is quite simple and just a small typo, but I'm a picky reader and a reviewer. Correction: And so you were mine. Perhaps I read too fast and maybe this did make sense, I'm not sure, but it seems this way.
Another one is that I found the word 'realty' and I'm pretty sure in the context of the sentence, you did not mean housing sales. Correction: reality

Plotline (19/20)

Despite this plotline being very very original. I found it at times, really boring. Perhaps because it was so real that my mind sort of shut down and there wasn't anything really to keep me going so that is why. At times it did feel like everything was imploding but those were rare and I found myself sort of dragging through them and it really only picked up after chapter five. However, I do understand why since you have to build up characters and such so I'm not going to really mark you down much on that.

This story had so much originality and you basically went "SCREW IT" to every single cliche thing and made it your own.

Flow and Organization (9/10)

This story had a small problem with some moments going by too fast and some going by too slow. I found it hard to stick by it at times when it came to that. But pulling through, I found it all worth it. You have a solid base and concrete characters that make everything so believable that I wouldn't be surprised if someone read this and said "This is my life story."
Overall Enjoyment (18/20)
Like I said above, there were times when I was bored or found myself rereading things to get the full idea. Some things were so obscurely hinted that I had to reread to actually remember it. I congratulate you on your quick sneaky wit for that, but it was a sort of hassle to reread and find the moment and remember.
Additional Comments / Final Score (94/100)
You write amazingly with such skill I really admire you. Your ability to create believable worlds, concrete characters with three dimensional personalities all around are absolutely amazing! All I can tell you is to keep it up and just work on slowing the right moments down and speeding the right moments up a bit.
Credit
Don't forget to credit back to our shop, link required! I'm so so sorry if this review is really horrible, I'm currently in a lot of pain right now with soreness and overall numbness in both of my jaws, but I hope you enjoyed my review!