♥ Origami Butterfly [Review Rec]

[On Glory's Edge] The Archives
REVIEW REC 82
Origami Butterfly
by deluforselu
 
Featuring: EXO
Type: Oneshot
Status: Complete
Genre: Angst
Main Characters: Baekhyun, Chanyeol
Main Pairings: Baekyeol
Rated: None
Warnings: Death

review found here
DESCRIPTION
Chanyeol was tired; tired of crying, tired of remembering.

Chanyeol was scared; scared to close his eyes, because he only sees one thing in total darkness.

A beautiful boy with the voice of an angel, eyes that formed crescents when his airy laughter rang in the air and soft pearl tears that rolled down his cheeks for he was so fragile.

Byun Baekhyun...(continues on page)
RECOMMENDED BY FLAMZFOX
 
Reason for Recommendation

This story is beautiful in its simplicity. In just two thousand words deluforselu manages to tell a complete story that will likely leave the reader heartbroken. From the very beginning the scene is set for heavy angst and the ending brings completion to the agony that the story so tastefully sets up.

Deluforselu is especially impressive as an author due to the unique style of her writing. She utilizes a poetic rhythm in her prose. Rather than stretching out long descriptions, she implements sentences that are concise and just enough to satisfy the reader, making for a short, breezy, rhythmic read. Throughout the entire story, I felt as though I was reading a work of minimalistic art.

Particularly beautiful in this piece is the unique characterization of Baekhyun and Chanyeol that cause the reader to fall in love with them even if the two are not their biases. Through their easy dialogue and inner emotions, the reader is able to completely imagine them as real.

Suitable For

If you cannot take simplistic reading or fictions that are not plot heavy then this is not for you. Based on a plot that is commonly seen and simplistic in its events, Origami Butterfly is a story that should be read for its characterization and easy language rather than for plot.

The romance is heavy and for most will probably be a plotline already seen before. Despite such, if you are looking for a beautiful, light read, go check this one out. I promise the language will impress you and that you will fall in love with the portrayal of the two main characters.

 

 

 

 

EXCERPT
What was fire without light?

Baekhyun was his light, in total darkness, all he had was Baekhyun.

It was dark; pitch black, his vision obscured.

For days, he just lied on the sofa for hours, his hands grasping onto a familiar, withered origami heart.

He thought about the heart.

It was quiet for a moment, before the sound of ripping paper bounced off the four walls.

He ripped the heart, just like how Baekhyun ripped his real one.