★ Remembering Key [85%]

[On Glory's Edge] The Archives
FICTION BIO
Remembering Key
by clear_penguin
 
Featuring: SHINee
Type: Chaptered
Genre: Angst, Fluff
Main Characters: Key, Jonghyun
Status: Ongoing (reviewed with 11)
Rated: None
Warnings: Death
 
DESCRIPTION
As Key lies dying in Jonghyun's arms, he remembers all the
precious times they spent together. 
 
He lay there in my arms
 
I could see his blood soaked shirt that was ripped and revealed the fatal wound
 
I could taste the bitter tears pouring from my eyes
 
I could smell the repulsive stench of blood
 
I could hear the shocked words of others
 
I could feel his hand grow gently colder in mine
 
But I never took any of it in...
 
EXCERPT
I made my way home thinking about the day’s events. I checked my watch and realised that we’d been talking for five hours, five straight hours with a stranger! It was like we had some sort of instant connection. I was amazed, even with friends I’ve known for years I’ve never been able to feel time pass so quickly. If there is such a thing as fate, and I was beginning to believe there was, could it have been what caused our meeting today?
Story Review by Stephy0823 (255/300 - 85%)
Title (16/20)
There really isn't much to say about your title. Looking at it, it embodies the plot of this story perfectly. This story is literally about remembering Key, and though there isn't a very deep meaning to it, it still follows the theme. Though it doesn't leave much open to the imagination, and it isn't unique, I still think it is a solid title and I would probably click it (though I hate death OTL) because it still peeked my interest nontheless.
Foreword and Description (24/40)
Your foreword and description threw me off a little honestly. When I read it...it kind of made it seem as if the story wouldn't be that good. You started your description off with:
As Key lies dying in Jonghyun's arms, he remembers all the precious times they spent together. 
And in all honesty I hated it. It just felt really awkward when reading it. The rest of the description was great, I thought the emotion was well placed and was clear, and you could tell the attachment and love he felt towards key, and I think the first sentence takes some of the shine away from the rest of it. I think if you were to change it up a little, or even take it out, your description would be much better, though it is still pretty good to begin with.
Aside from that pretty minor problem, I had a fairly large problem your your foreword, or lack thereof. I am totally all for character descriptions, but I think when you do them, they can sometimes really be a hit or miss, and unfortunately I think yours was more of a miss. I thought that their descriptions were lacking, and it almost made you seem like you were illiterate (wow harsh word...please don't take offense from this since I will talk about your grammar next~) and it made it seem...kind of amateur and juvenile, mainly due to how short and similar they all were. I think if you were to add or foreword, or even just spruce up the descriptions, it would be much better, because it turned me off slightly, and I really wasn't that excited to read. 
Readability (39/40)
Now we get to the compliments! My god, I literally could not find like a single error...I really am not bothered with grammar, and I tend to be really lenient towards it but I really was amazed at how good you were at writing. It really changed my first opinions from the description and foreword. it almost got to the point of where I was looking for grammar mistakes just so I could point something out because I was worried I would have nothing to talk about in this section! There was one spot though that I think you forgot a word or two or...something. In chapter five you wrote:
I made a note to myself to make be careful with and treasure it.
I assumed you meant something like:
I made a note to myself to make sure to be careful with and treasure it.
Or something along those lines, and it really wasn't hard to figure out. But all together I was really impressed with your grammar so, I'm happy~ 
Characterization (43/50)
I think that fact that your chapters are so short kind of affected the characters development but I was really impressed at how you described them and made their personalities so clear despite how short each chapters are.
I'll be honest, Jonghyun at first seemed really boring to me, whenever I would read his parts in the beginning...it felt so monotone. I think it was mainly due to the fact that it was a more emotional part, and he wasn't supposed to be happy, but even when key was introduced it still felt a little stiff. However I have seen development in his character and I do like the way he has turned out so I really don't have much complaints.
All bias aside, I really loved Key's character. He was just so cute! He was so peppy, and happy all the time...I...I feel like a fangirl right now. But every time there was a scene with Key I couldn't't get over how perfect he was, and how perfect he and Jonghyun fit together. I thought their personalities were great with one another and I really adored them. 
Now...time for Minho. I hate Minho :l. In the good -that son of a - kind of way (excuse my language xD). Every time he showed up I was just...uuggghhh leave the perfect Jongkey alone! He really played the jealous, overprotective, one sided love, best friend type well.  
So, overall I think your characters are great, all of their personalities fit well and everything seems realistic so, good job! 
Originality (22/30)
In all honesty your plotline wasn't that original. There are tons of fic like this, but I think it's really hard too be 100% original nowadays, but yours wasn't cliched at all. Though it still is hard to tell since the chapters are short and I think you are just now reaching the (possibly? If that's what chapter 11 is) so I really can't decide how original your plot is. But from what I've read so far, it still has a distinction from other stories and I applaud you for that. 
Plotline (77/90)
Though I have read this sort of plotline before I am really enjoying your story so far! Though there aren't many twists, and it is rather straight foreword, I still find it interesting. I am actually incredibly curious as to how the scene in the description started and I really can't wait for the later chapters! I am definitely drawn in and I am definitely ready for the ride, since I will definitely cry (so emotional ;~;). 
This plotline has so much potential, and it is rather exciting. With all of the problems with Minho, and the cliffhanger you left chapter 11 off with (can't get over it >_<) I really can't bear it! 
However I am really sad about the length of the chapters! It makes it feel a little rushed, and I feel like the development sort of lacks because of that. Though the length really doesn't affect it much, it still takes some of the enjoyment from it. However, I noticed you do have like a million fics that you update regularly so I understand why the chapters might be shorter but it still is kind of a let down. :(
But to end on a positive note, I still love your plot so don't worry much about the length~
Structure / Mechanics (27/30)
I am really impressed with your diction and syntax, and it really does help your story when you can write as eloquently as you can, so when it comes to structure and mechanics, I really have nearly nothing bad to say.All of your chapters were appealing, nothing flowed oddly; there were no paragraphs that were to big, and all of the chapters transitions worked well. 
However, when I started reading, I assumed that you were going for a more angsty/ depressing theme since the story is centered around Key's (possible) death (since it hasn't been clarified yet), and the fluff kind of takes away from that. Though I understand that there relationship was supposed to be that way, I mean, they are clearly in love so I understand, and I am not deducting points for this, but it kind of made me forget that this story is supposed to be based off of death. 
But I thought your story was structurally sound, everything was solid and I really can't complain.
Bonus (+7)
I really, really, loved the scene in your description, and though it isn't something spectacular, I thought it was great. It really started me off on a high note, despite my dislike for your foreword, and I really think it deserves recognition. I also really enjoyed how great Key and Jonghyun were. Though they are my OTP I really am putting all bias aside. You wrote their relationship well, and you could honestly feel the love they shared for one another and I applaud you for that.
Reader's View
Overall I really loved the story, though it isn't finished yet, I can't wait to find out where Key is! I subscribed and upvoted, so please continue on~
Additional Comments / Final Score (255/300 - 85%)
I'm sorry if any of this might have seemed harsh, but I really adored your fic, and I think it is great and you really have some huge potential with this plot!
Credit
Don't forget to credit back to our shop, link required!