★ The Inferno's Kiss [86]

[On Glory's Edge] The Archives
FICTION BIO
The Inferno's Kiss
by aeterniti
 
Featuring: BAP
Type: Chaptered
Genre: Angst, Dark, Psychological
Main Characters: Daehyun, Mieun (OC)
Status: Completed
Rated: None
Warnings: Gore
 
DESCRIPTION
Mieun suffers from her parents' over-protectiveness after a romantic dance she had with death three years ago. Now, her life abides by the rule that only on November 12, her birthday, she is allowed to leave the confines of the house and roam around as she pleases. That is, until she decides to break it. Then, she meets Daehyun, who insists that she's his long lost love EunMi. Like a blind lamb led to slaughter, she follows him. He only has one rule: Don't look under the bed.
EXCERPT
She listened to the soft pitter-patter of the rain against the windowpane, resting her cheek against the cool glass. Her fingers traced small swirls and patterns in the fog, but soon they began unconsciously tracing the same word over and over again.
Story Review by xODarkMistOx (86/100)
Title (5/5)
This title is nothing short of brilliance, really. This story was playing with darkness and evil and inferno's other definition is hell. Hell in itself is the devil's land. The land where horrid souls lay. The inferno was Daehyun as he was the devil's incarnate. The devil in the forest, hell on earth almost.
A kiss is a display of affection, anyone can figure that out. But there is a moment in the story that Daehyun kisses Mieun and she says its as if he is kissing her out of hunger, as if Daehyun is out her insides.
It's then that we take the story into consideration. This entire story is confusing and has an amazing plot that keeps you just wrapped in. Mieun's world begins slow, normal, and almost boring. Her family keeps her locked in, she goes out one day on her birthday in the entire year, and that is it. But later she becomes enveloped in evil, as if her innocence is stripped away. The inferno's kiss has eaten her insides away almost. At least, that's what I got out of this amazing title.
Foreword and Description (10/10)
Spot on. Pretty much perfect actually. The description was just right and gave a small enough background for us to get a general idea of Mieun and gave off an immense mystery to the entire story. I throroughly enjoyed how you ended the descript with Don't look under the bed And I found myself fangirling about how awesome this story was going to be.
The foreword was very well written and I could say that I was immediately hooked into reading your story the second I finished reading it. (Cue violently murdering my trackpad) Your last few lines something I absolutely adored.
The connection of the lips and how he stole her breath was just so beautifully written, so great job.  
Originality (7/10)
I would say that this sort of story isn't that original. I've seen a few stories like this but not exactly like it. Mieun's character is pretty original, but I'll get to her later in the next section. The entire idea of the story is half predictable and half not due to your more original part to it. There's not a really cliche part to it, its just not that original. But its your writing style and characterization that make it original. I would say that the entire parental side to the story wasn't that original, considering that this sort of thing has been done before.
Characterization (8/10)
Can I just say that the characters in here were EXACTLY up my alley. I mean I've reviewed stories that sort of were supposed to be my alley but they weren't because they just didn't fit but these characters were REALLY good and something I really enjoy.
Mieun is a character that I really like. I usually am not fond of OCs or sometimes they bore me but Mieun never really gave me a negative feeling other than NO DONT DO THAT NO WHY. Mieun was pretty much blinded and thought her life was good and normal. But it was absolutely not and pretty much insane. She got mad, she had realistic feelings, became rebellious and so on. I felt like she was maturing from that girl who did everything her parents told her too, to a girl who wanted her own life and such. I loved the symbolism of how her nightgown got torn and got dirty and how she just threw away her other slipper and the one she lost. It was just so nice like she's not innocent anymore. Well done.
Daehyun. Ah, Daehyun. I would say that I was sorta confused on this but I figured it out eventually. Daehyun is a character that is complex and has a lot of depth to him. He's a madman but underneath it all, there is a sliver of purity that just wants someone to be with him and love him and tell him nice things. He used to kill and murder people, but then met Eunmi and suddenly his lust for blood was gone. Eunmi left him after she found out and broke the rule to not look under the bed. So would Mieun after she found out, but she stayed to understand him and eventually killed him by accident. There's also the topic of Xi Luhan being the alter ego of Daehyun. I would say there are three parts to Daehyun: Xi Luhan, Jung Daehyun, and Daehyun. Xi Luhan is the part that wants to kill and has bloodlust. Jung Daehyun is the child that believes and want to be loved. Daehyun is the one that is the mixture of them.
The parents of both Mieun and Jung Daehyun are a bit too unrealistic for me. Possibly because they don't falter. Daehyun's parents are drugees and such, I would expect them to not want them. But I would expect to have a tiny bit more background and possibly have the mother falter a tiny bit but Daehyun just doesn't notice since you know, she gave birth to him and all. Mieun's parents are just a bit odd to me. I mean your daughter is screaming and panicking and you tie her up...wonder how that is gonna work out. Just saying, I mean they're good characters, just a tad bit too unrealistic.
Readability (12/15)
This story was really vague and I can say that sometimes it was just really confusing. I do like how you had an explanation chapter but I would appreciate it more if you could've explained it within the story. Also, I had to think a bit even after you explained it. I mean your story is great, but if I can't get it even after you explain it...I would suggest some revising and maybe just explain it within the story.
Plotline (20/20)
Your story was entertaining and I could say that I read this in one full go. Usually when I review, I stop or so since I'm either bored or busy. But I was sort of busy when this came but I just kept reading because I was so interested. I was so hooked into finding out Daehyun's past and Mieun's character, great job. The story, the symbolism, its just one package of awesome.
Flow and Organization (7/10)
Despite how I absolutely adore your writing style and such, sometimes things just went by too slow. You described it so much to the point where I was like yeah I get it, it's the window and that's the night sky can we move on? I mean it was beautiful but with a story with such adrenaline and mystery you can't really just describe everything, or else the real thing gets hindered. The organization of it was well done, but as I said before the flow could've been threaded with the explanation of the story. You also described the things that we didn't really need to know, and just skipped over the things we should've known.
Overall Enjoyment (17/20)
Apart from the slight boredom I had with the descriptions of things that could've been looked over, I did enjoy this story. It was mysterious, eye catching and downright exciting. Great job.
Additional Comments / Final Score (86/100)
It's fine to explain things in depth, but do it with the right things that we should know and take heed of. If you want to describe something but its not that important, just do it so it doesn't take up a good large paragraph. Instead of having an explanation chapter, thread the explanation into the story so we can figure it out. Also, remember your story and make sure your explanation is clear so after we read we don't have to think so hard to figure it out.
Sorry my review is so late! I've been really busy and I just came back from KCON yesterday but I absolutely HAD to get this up! ^^ Hope you enjoy this~
Credit
Don't forget to credit back to our shop, link required!