★ Trial by Family [78]

[On Glory's Edge] The Archives
FICTION BIO
Trial by Family
by informantxgirl
 
Featuring: Infinite
Type: Chaptered
Genre: Comedy, Fluff, Romance
Main Characters: Infinite (Woohyun)
Status: Complete
Rated: None
Warnings: None
 
DESCRIPTION
If only he can get through this weekend with her family, Woohyun knows that happily-ever-after and all that lovey-dovey stuff are in store for him and his girlfriend. That is, if he can just survive everything her brothers and cousins throw at him...And they throw A LOT...
EXCERPT
Suddenly tired (having spent all of last night worrying about today and then waking up early to battle Seoul traffic—and then suffering an inquisition), he decided to take a quick nap. He collapsed back onto the bed Dongwoo had indicated was his.

The bed promptly collapsed onto the floor.

Woohyun sighed. So apparently, trying to be part of their family just might kill him.

Story Review by xODarkMistOx (78/100)
Title (5/5)
This title is nothing but brilliant! It really matches the story's plot and everything that happens. Simple and cool, this title surely matches everything that Woohyun goes through not only for Eun Byul but for his own sanity. The term 'trial by fire' is very well known, but it is generally known as one of the simple aspects of the 'trial by orderal'. It's a simple explanation, as you must go through a judicial practice or way to prove your innocence. If you fail, you are proven guilty, traditionally. But I love how instead of a life threatening challenge, Woohyun goes through, something that makes it seem like your life is imploding, a trial by family. Eun Byul's family is to judge his worthiness of her. The fact that everything is spontaneous though, and the fact that the family gathering isn't even for Woohyun's judgement, makes it even more fun.
Foreword and Description (8/10)
The description is short but sweet, and describes what Woohyun is going to face in all of the mysterious glory that it gives. I enjoy how it makes an emphasis on how Woohyun is going to through one hell of a time with Eun Byul's family. Woohyun talks of how he just has to survive and then he and Eun Byul can live their fantasy together as something more than a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship. This makes the ending of how he wins over her two brothers and four cousins, the ones who were giving him the hardest time, allow Woohyun to marry Eun Byul and welcome into the family just that more satisfying. We see through the story all of the crap and really embarassing times and he doesn't even rat them out for it. I really like how he's just focusing on surviving. All he has to do is survive and then his fairy tale can start. I really liked that foreword, despite its small size. The foreword was a bit iffy in my opinion. The structure of it wasn't something to my liking especailly near the end with:

They all agreed…

…but they were going to do their utmost to make sure no one survived.

It just seemed so out of place for me and it sort of made it look awkward.

Originality (7/10)
This story isn't that original as I've seen a handful of stories that center around pleasing the family to win the girl. However, in most cases it's the family or brother, but this story is a little bit different. I appreciate the fact that you didn't make the other members of Infinite Eun Byul's brothers. It seems a bit unnatural for me to have six boys and one girl in one family. I'm sure it has happened, because anything can happen in life, but it just would've been so cliche in this work, so thank you. What also makes this story a little different is how close all of Eun Byul's family is. Everbody knows each other and Eun Byul seems to be the crown jewel and they are very picky about who they're sending her off to. It is because Eun Byul's family is so tight knit, that they are skeptical of Woohyun being with her, and that is why Woohyun just wants to please them that much more, because he loves Eun Byul that much. Also, might I mind, that I don't read OC fics that much, but I did like this one.
Characterization (3/10)
Your characters are all grown adults that have jobs and lives. Everyone is obviously above the age of twenty at least, which is why their behavior baffles me. I'm judging this not as a normal fic, but even as a fluff this seemed quite extreme. Rigging beds, messing with his phone, salting his toothpaste and toothbrush, putting human waste on his clothes; it all seemed something a teenager would do. I mean they have jobs and are grown men I can't even stress enough how odd it is. The most realistic thing that seemed to me was the basketball part where they sent him around and messed with him and how they were shooting glares. As grown men that run buisnesses or work, I would expect them rather to perhaps shove him around, do that classic 'have him hit my shoulder as I walk past him and intimidate him'. In this story, I was expecting intimidation and fear, not really pranks that a teenager would pull. I mean yes, she is something worthy over protecting over, but really? Do you have to pull all those pranks like a child? It just seemed so out of their set ages and occupations that I was mostly wondering,'How can they do that this age?', that throughout the whole story.
There was also the questioning of Eun Byul's character. The OC in this story seemed normal, as any other girl would. The only thing that sort of seemed odd was that she knew her cousins and brothers were trouble makers and it was highly obvious that they were the ones who were messing with Woohyun, but she didn't do anything. She has had previous boyfriends right? And her family has seen them? Doesn't she realize that they're scaring them off? If she knew from the beginning, why didn't she take action is all I am asking. But I'm sure if she just straight away accused them, then the fic would've been shorter. Also the aunts, uncles, and other people; don't they realize that it's obviously those six? I had a hard time wrapping my head around it since it seemed so obvious but no one really suspected them. Maybe because its family and they didn't dare suspect them? I do believe Woohyun, out of the other six boys, to be acting his age. He didn't break out into anger, and rather panicked and stressed out. I really can't give you high marks because the only character that seemed realisitc was your main one, but all of the people around him seemed so out of their age maturity level.
It almost seemed like I was reading a story where he has to please the younger siblings of Eun Byul and they're all little kids, in which Woohyun has to deal with their shenanigans. There is also a small issue with Woohyun's character. He seems just too perfect and there isn't even a split second moment where he wants to rage and just forget Eun Byul for a moment and start getting annoyed at how he is being treated like this. What I'm saying is, I was looking for character flaws in him.
Readability (14/15)
The story was very readible. I also enjoyed your descriptions of the characters in the story. The reason why I deducted a point was because there were a few spelling errors and verb tense mix ups. Along with that, there was something I half wished would happen, and rather I would suggest this to make your characters seem more three dimensional. Woohyun seems like the perfect boyfriend. So to make it more readible and believable I would suggest that you show more of his inner thoughts that don't have to deal with his love for Eun Byul. Perhaps you could show him weighing his options of keeping his troubles inside or telling Eun Byul that he's sick of the cousins and siblings because that is what she told him to do if he was being bothered. This is just my opinion, but I would've liked to see some character flaws.
Plotline (17/20)
While this story was funny and cute at times, a lot of the time I was a little bored. I feel like majority of this story could've been taken out and then instead of eight chapters it could've been a three shot. The length of it was mostly just to describe each of the mishaps that happened to Woohyun and I was getting a little bored with it. Each one was different, but that didn't really mean it was special. Woohyun's reaction was the same each time, and things only start picking up near chapter six. Otherwise, chapter's four and five were a bit boring.
Flow and Organization (9/10)
Some chapters were better than others, I can say that much. Your paragraphs and spacing were spot on. The only thing I can dock a mark on is that some scenes dragged on for a long time and some just swept by. The organization of this story is well done, and everyone seems to be explained well.
Overall Enjoyment (15/20)
I can't really say I fully enjoyed this story even though it was interesting. The jarring character personality-to-age part was just too odd to me that it mostly distracted me. I got bored on some parts and felt the need to reread some things to get the full grasph on what just happened.
Additional Comments / Final Score (78/100)
Your writing style is pleasant, and can be quite funny at times. You describe things well. You just need to work on making your characters seem believable for the world and life you put them in. There are some stories that have kids who act like adults, because their backstories make them that way. This story gave them a lives of a fashion designer, company owners, a game creator, and even a judge, I expected them to at least act like adults. However, you have a knack for creating realistic OC characters. Not once did I grimance like I usually do with OC stories. I enjoyed Eun Byul's character at some points.
Credit
Don't forget to credit back to our shop, link required!