★ My Regretful Revenge [81]

[On Glory's Edge] The Archives
FICTION BIO
My Regretful Revenge
by maeanneda123
 
Featuring: MBLAQ / Miss A
Type: Chaptered
Genre: Angst, Drama, Romance
Main Characters: Min, Lee Joon, Kim Hyuna
Status: Ongoing (reviewed with 10)
Rated: None
Warnings: None
 
DESCRIPTION
They killed my mother. They killed my father. They killed my brother. In just a split second, those cruel and malicious people eliminated all of my family with one simple mistake: They didn’t pay attention to the road. It was a miracle from God that I was still alive. I, Lee Minyoung, was only fifteen when I became an orphan. However, that only lasted a while. The people that killed my family took me as their own, probably out of pity, out of guilt. Who knows?
 
I had a new family. I had a new mother. I now had a father. I even had Lee Joon to replace my brother. But I hated them. With all my heart, I detested every bit of them. Nobody knew. The anger grew inside of me by itself. I wanted revenge.
 
They had to pay for killing my family.
EXCERPT
“I…Everything he said was mind blowing. Nobody ever mentioned anything about a sister. They weren’t any pictures at home or anything like that.
 
“We tried to forget her. We had to get rid of most of her pictures in the house so that mom would stop crying. It worked, in a way,” he explained slowly in a monotone voice. “Then you came. Everything seemed to be slipping back in order. My parents adored you, you can’t even imagine. They felt as if they’re real daughter had come back.”
 
It was weird only finding all of this out now. I felt like all this time, I had lived in a home I didn’t even try to explore or get to know properly.
Story Review by Chrissyxx (81/100)
Title (4/5)
I actually really like this title! I think it encapsulates all the meaning you were trying to put forth and gives the readers a taste of what they're getting into. You managed to do this without giving too much of the plot away as well, which is brilliant on your part! And as I've mentioned in one of my other reviews, I absolutely loved alliteration! And you get a bonus for the recurring 'R's because it just sounds fabulous.
The only problem I think I had though with the title is that the first person's perspective sounds kind of awkward-ish, sort of you know? But then again, "A Regretful Revenge" sounds awful, so no points taken out here! And besides, this shows a lot about your character as well and how their remorseful about what they've done/about to do. So good job cooking this up girlfriend!
Foreword and Description (8/10)
Let me first say that it is indeed a good description. I really like your ability to capture the audience's attention through the various techniques you've utilised (I am big on techniques, I don't know if that's obvious or…). I love the repetition at the start with the "They killed my mother. They killed my father. They killed my brother." because it gives a headstrong personality to your character and makes her seem vengeful and wretched in a totally badass way if you get me. That's just what I got from the first line alone, which is (thumbs up) a great start. And you also managed to tie it down to what happens in the future when she gets adopted by the "killers". You used the same style of writing and I thought it was brilliantly worded and sounded like a blurb from a real book. Although when I first saw that starting sentence/s I thought, maybe you could have combined that into one sentence, but then your next line shows me why you can't possibly do that. What I'm trying to say (in the most confusing way possible) is that I really like your sentence structure. I like how you've worded your paragraphs because it's simple and readable with hardly any grammatical errors.
You could however have changed the ':' to a semi colon. You also could have broken that first paragraph into two because it is a bit clumpy in terms of ideas.
But this is where is gets confusing. When I started reading the description, I honestly thought Minyoung's family was assassinated. And then I kept reading and came to the part where it was all they didn't see the road, and they adopted me out of pity, and I was like; "why the hell ain't this girl puttin up a fight?". I actually had to reread the description three times to finally figure it out... Car crash. Oh... And then I just felt like a complete idiot because you were absolutely genius to make an accident sound like murder. Even better because after all, it is in Minyoung's perspective. I have to give you several points for that my friend, because even though I might have had to read that over and over to get it through my thick skull, you did a great job in ensuring that you gave a deep insight into your character even before the story started. Massive props to you for that. Even though I heartily liked your description, I did feel that it was too long. You could have cut down on a lot of information that was to be included in your story later down the track. I felt that as a reader maybe it was a bit too repetitive in the sense that it was just too lengthy for an ideal description with the same ideas floating around.
Apart from that little smidge, I thought your description was (overall) quite fantastic! Just remember to keep it more succinct, just so you don't bore the reader (or make them have to reread it three times)
Originality (8/10)
Seeing as I haven't really come across many stories where the main character "falls in love" (I had to put that in quotations because she is constantly in denial hehe) with her adoptive brother. It's really difficult to come up with a story that would subsequently stand out amongst the crowd of stereotypical plots, so I have to commend you for that! I thought your ideas were quite different; I love how you developed the conflicting emotions your story enunciated through your characters and language.
Characterization (9/10)
Probably the best aspect of your story (smiles at you creepily)  
I cannot highlight enough how important a good character is needed in order to deliver a good story. You can have the crappiest storyline but make it work through your characters motivations and emotions.  
Can I just say that I absolutely loved Minyoung? She was not perfect; she was not some primadonna who was used to getting what she wanted, she didn't have the most flawless personality and she certainly wasn't boring. I honestly would not be able to stand another Mary Sue like I swear to god if I ever come across one of those characters again I will poop on someone's grave. I like her personality; it's badass yet vulnerable in such a personal way. I like how she is direct and abrupt as well.  
Ok, now moving on to Lee Joon. How do I begin to describe Lee Joon? This one time he punched me in the face with glitter and feelings and my ovaries exploded because wow what a gentleman. He was gorgeous (I'm talking about the character but yes the person too mmmmmmmmmm hot damn) and I just wanted to pinch his charming little cheeks. I think he was kind of cheeky as well, and he wasn't the perfect character, which is exactly what we're going for. You don't want to make the characters seem too perfect anyway. 
I think all the other characters were well rounded as well. I just wish there were that many good looking people around me to choose from wow. But like I said though, they weren't all perfect either. They had flaws, and they were believable. That is the most important thing here. They were somewhat approachable and they seemed like people you would even meet everyday so props to you for that! Although sometimes character motivations were a bit confusing, I think you did a really great job with describing everyone!
Readability (7/15)
I thought your story was fairly readable. You used a cohesive and succinct form of writing which was straight to the point and void of any "beating around the bush" stuff. As intimate as the first person narration was, sometimes the writing was a bit too choppy and short making it feel a bit like a third person's narrative.  
I didn't find too many grammatical errors which was great! Because I know that I myself make a lot of grammar errors ya know. And especially because before you requested you did say that English wasn’t your first language and I know how much of a challenge to pick up such a of a language! So standing ovation for you~  
There were parts though where your choice of words were a bit erroneous, like it just seem to fit in with what you were trying to say. It’s alright, you can use a thesaurus, use a dictionary or use the internet. It's not cheating, you can get help if you want. You can even have beta-readers, they aren't proffessional (I don't even think I spelled that right), but they can certainly help you improve on your writing skills. The most prominent mistake I came across was when you said, 
"I sat up when my strength retreated"
Now, that actually does not make sense. To retreat means to shy away in fear or anxiety. If your strength just retreated, that means it just vanished so you can't actually stand up when that happens can you? It was bugging me for a bit, but yea. If you aren't sure of what the word means, like I said before, you can always use a dictonary or something. You aren't just bound to yourself, you can ask for help!
I don't want to highlight all your mistakes, but honestly there were quite a few instances where you didn't seem to know what you were saying. That can make the audience question the character, because after all she is the one doing the narration. And I probably sound like a broken record by now, but you can get help if you need to :)
Plotline (18/20)
I think you have a really interesting plotline going on here. I have never actually come across stories quite like this one so i commend you for that. You can delve deeper and twist the characters' emotions for further development. I love Minyoung's accidental confession! That was certainly a moment to remember! (That was kind of awkward too like oh my god). I can see an amazing story evolving out of this plot, I'm actually excited to know what happens next!
Flow and Organization (8/10)
I think your writing style is good. It wasn't the best I've come across, no lie, but it is definitely not the worst either. On a scale of 1-10 I would call it an 8. I think you used simple sentences, but blended in an extensive vocabulary to enhance it more. I like your use of imagery as well, I think it helped paint pictures in my mind (personally, that's how I feel) and made the story seem more creative and your characters more real. I think the pace is sometimes a bit messy, like one second something drags on, and then another just happens so fast I have to reread it to see what just went down. 
Overall Enjoyment (17/20)
I actually really enjoyed this; I thought it was pretty original and creative in your part. I thought your simple sentence structure and character motivations made it a whole lot better. Like I said, the characters honestly did make the story better because of their traits and imperfections. 
I've subscribed and voted because yea, I really want to know what's going to happen next!
Also, I'm giving +2 bonus points for that amazing trailer wow!
Additional Comments / Final Score (81/100)
Ok wow, I am such a horrible person. I literally took a whole month to write this review, which was absolutely not fair on you at all. I am so, so sorry. I don't know if you'll ever be able to forgive me. I have just gone through (and still going through) the craziest time right now. I don't have internet at the moment either. I'm using my brother's phone (praise him!) which he was angelic enough to lend to me. i tried transferring the files into his phone but that didn't work so I spent like the whole morning re-typing all of it up into a sticky note app thing he has and copying it on here so if there are any typos, I am sorry! //cries
Anyway, I wish you all the best of luck on your story and other stories. I really liked this one and I think you have so much space for imporvement. I also need to tell you how proud I am of you because you told me that you were actually editing your story and I did actually read the before and after chapters. 
You are a great writer. But I know you can be a hella-amazing writer with a little more practise and a little more inspiration. Thanks for requesting with us, and wanting a horrible little reviewer to do your review :3
Ps you made me love Lee Joon (I actually didn't really care for him before but...)
Credit
Don't forget to credit back to our shop, link required!