Running in Circles

Unwelcomed Pleasure

“You, two, are running around in circles, wanting to meet each other but ends up going farther away.”

Key’s voice echoed her mind as she walked along the streets going to her apartment in the middle of the night. She finished her work at around 6:30pm. The sun had finally set, and what’s guiding her way home right now was only the light coming from the street lamps. The road towards her home was unusually silent, enough for her thoughts to run into places, putting her into the moment of remembering about the conversation she had this morning with the other four members.

She stopped as she saw a garden like park along her way. There was no one there and because she was attracted to the lonely looking swing, she decided to go and sat there for a while.

“Appa…” When alone and in the middle of deep thoughts, Jooyoung always liked to talk to her father. She knew that somewhere out there, her father could be listening, and though she might not be able to hear his opinion anymore, what’s important for her was the assurance that at least, he understood, and he was always there to give her comfort right from where he was at the moment.

She looked up the sky, and just as if her father was one of the stars she could see above, she smiled. “You know I never fell in love, right? I never even had a crush before. I’ve always been the one to worry about our living rather than my own feelings.” She sighed and smiled to herself again. “I’ve gone mature enough, but I think that this part of me has not yet developed. I thought it was intelligent enough to shrug his confession, to think that he wasn’t being serious, and to consider that he only liked me because I was there. But appa, why am I disappointed with that thought? I know I haven’t think about this for a while, but now that these are in my head, why do I suddenly wish for his feelings to be true? Why do I suddenly hope that those genuine and pure heart I felt from him is true? Appa… what is this?”

As she stayed silent for a while, she remembered all the memories she once spent with SHINee. Those depressing and frustrating schedules. Those sleepless nights of recordings, and those endless funny moment and laughs she once spent with her.

“Oh right.” She uttered once she remembered something. “I promised to treat them on my first salary.” Remembering the conversation she once had with Key, she was reminded that they to treat them on something when she gets her first money from her job, and she agreed to do so.

She already got her 1st salary just two weeks ago, but because she was never the type to spend so much, she still has enough sum on her account which can make her treat the members on a meal. Finally, with a decision in mind, she stood up and continued walking towards her home.

*** *** ***

“Kibum-ah. Yah. Kim Kibum.” Onew entered Minho and Key’s room to wake them up. He was the first one to get up, but was too lazy to make breakfast. He chose to just ask Key to do it for them, but the younger was still sleeping when he got there. “Kibum-ah, you better prepare our breakfast.” He said while shaking his arms.

“I’m still sleeping.” Kibum said and turned to the other side as he pulled his blanket up – covering his head.

“Yah. Kim Kibum. Come on, I’m hungry.” He insisted and shook him harder this time.

“Then cook. I said I’m sleepy.” The stubborn Kibum didn’t even make any effort to move and face him. He was literally very sleepy.

All of them were tired, actually. It was no different when they were on promotion or not because all the time, they were everywhere doing performances and overseas activities. SHINee was already a year-round artists. It was as if they were always there – and yet fans still crave for more.

“Minho-yah. Cook something.” Onew brought his attention to Minho this time who was busy checking something on his phone. Minho looked up with a funny expression.

“I only know how to eat, hyung.” He said shrugging his shoulders and chuckling as he went back to his phone.

Meanwhile, Jonghyun was in the living area reading some daily magazines when the doorbell rang. He stood up to see who was outside. “Hyung, did you order anything?!” He shouted but was surprised to see that it wasn’t a delivery. “Jooyoung?” Seeing her from the screen, Jonghyun rushed outside to open the door for her. “Jooyoung-ah?! What brought you here?”

Jooyoung raised the plastics she was holding. “I brought some food!” There was a bright expression on her face as she met gaze with him. “I remembered I promised to treat you after my 1st salary and I completely forgot about that, but here!”

“Oh.” He was dumbfounded and yet he was smiling. He opened the door wider, asking for her to enter reminding her to just be comfortable around.

“Please call everybody. I’ll just prepare these on the table.” As if it was still her home, Jooyoung went straight to the kitchen. It was her usual duty, anyways.

“Yes.” Jonghyun agreed and entered their room to tell Taemin, and then went to Minho and Key’s room – finding Onew in there, too. “Hyung, Kibum, Minho, come out now and have some breakfast…”

“Ugh, finally, thanks Jonghyun, you’re a real friend.”

“Oh, hyung, actually it was Joo…” Jonghyun wasn’t able to continue speaking when Onew continued walking outside. “young… who brought those.” He sighed, looked at Minho and shook his head.

“Wow. These are a lot, Jonghyun, did you order –“ Onew’s excitement immediately died when Jooyoung appeared from the kitchen with a bowl of stew. He blinked his eyes several times to check if she was real, and when he confirmed it, a frown formed on his face.

“H-hi.” It was the only word that came out to Jooyoung’s mouth as she saw him again – trying to smile and approach him in a friendly way but it came out too awkwardly.

“Is the table ready?” Jonghyun butted in and spoke in a rather excited tone hoping to melt the awkward atmosphere that formed when the two saw each other. “I heard Onew hyung is really hungry.”

“Oh… yeah.” Onew looked at Jonghyun, gathering some thoughts in his heard before he continued speaking. “But I was craving for instant noodles, actually. There’s still stock in the cupboard, right?” He smiled brightly and walked towards the kitchen, stopping by for a while as he got near her. “Thanks for bringing in some food, Jooyoung-ssi. My dongsaengs will enjoy that.” With a gentle smile, he nodded and proceeded to the kitchen, leaving Jooyoung and Jonghyun in a daze and great state of confusion. 


A/N: Merry Christmas, everyone! This is my gift! Hahaha. :)