Knowing You Better

Unwelcomed Pleasure

The warm and bright sunlight coming from the window woke Onew up that morning. It was his first time to actually have such sweet sleep after some time. As he opened his eyes, he saw his mother tying up the curtains in such beautiful designs. It was the reason why the sunlight entered his room – and he smiled at the thought of his mom doing it for him every morning whenever he woke up ever since he was young.

“Good morning!” He greeted happily and jumped off his bed to run to his mother giving him a gentle kiss on her cheek. She jumped in surprise as she wasn’t aware of him waking up.

“Aigoo, Jinki-ah, you surprised me.” She blurted out and hit his arm slightly. “Why are you jumping around suddenly, are you feeling better?” As if she was programmed to do it, omma immediately placed a hand on his forehead to feel his temperature. “Wow. You’re fever has gone down really fast.”

“That’s because I really didn’t get sick.” He winked at his mother only to give him a confused look. “It was because of the garlic cloves I put on my armpits.”

“What?!” His mother blurted out as if she was really surprised. “How-how … Why?!”

“I badly wanted to go home so I was desperate for a method to run away. Thank God Jooyoung thought of a great idea. Do you know that, omma? That garlic cloves can really make someone sick?”

“I heard that… from an ahjumma… but…” She thought for a while trying to absorb the fact that her son did another naughty thing again – and it was weird for a 25 year old grown up handsome male. “Yah! Lee Jinki! You are old enough for these things! Why are you… ha! Seriously!” She placed a hand on her forehead as if she was really problematic. “And now, you find someone to accompany you in doing these childish things, really, Lee Jinki. I’m your mother but you still surprise me all the time.”

Onew shrugged his shoulders and only smiled cheekily to his mother, gaining another sigh from her as she shook her shoulder and walked towards the door to leave. Childish 25 year old Lee Jinki followed with his pajamas still on.

“Is oppa still in the room? I want to greet him!” He said cheerfully. There was no hint of fever on him. He was as lively as ever.

“He’s at the garage talking about car parts with your uncles as well.”

“I’ll go check them out – oh, omma?” He paused for a while after seeing a familiar someone walking towards the kitchen with a huge casserole with her. “Jooyoung didn’t go home?”

“Oh yeah.” She stopped for a while and smiled out of nowhere. “We asked her to stay since it’s really late last night and also insisted that she should celebrate with us today. You know what, I heard from her she’s actually a Communication major, minor in English. I’m impressed, Jinki. She seemed to be a very intelligent girl.”

“Minor in English?” Onew thought for a while as he looked to where Jooyoung was currently at, helping his aunties cooked in the kitchen while chatting happily with them. She seemed to fit the family quite naturally, and it made him a bit surprised but well, happy and proud. “Isn’t Auntie Jungmi a highschool professor?”

“Yes? Why?”

Onew thought for a while and then shook his head, looking back at his mother with a cute and childish smile. “I’ll just go greet appa!” He almost jumped down the staircase – as if he wasn’t sick the other night.

“Oh! That’s Jinki oppa!” There was this cute girl who kept on following Jooyoung wherever she goes, constantly asking her what she was doing, and telling a lot of things Jooyoung found amusing and interesting. Jooyoung looked at the girl as she tugged her shirt off trying to distract her from her work with the aunties in the kitchen. “Unni! Oppa is awake!”

“Aigoo~ Look at that kid running as if he wasn’t sick last night! Yah! Jinki-ah! Be careful not to get hurt!” One older auntie shouted, and as Jooyoung laughed, they realized it was such an embarrassment for their nephew to be treated like a kid when a beautiful girl, say his manager, was just around the house. “I bet you are already used to having that naughty Jinki around you.” The auntie by the name Jungmi told Jooyoung, to which she just smiled but shrugged her shoulders.

“Well, I guess you can say that, but the Onew I know is pretty dimensional. He’s the type to swift from one mood to its complete opposite in just a short period of time – not even showing any signs of warning.” She chuckled softly.

“My son tends to have difficulty expressing himself properly, so he ends up not knowing how to act at the certain situations.” Onew’s mother entered the kitchen and gave a light press on Jooyoung’s arm as she smiled. “He was normally shy, and only talked to people he’s comfortable with. As I remembered, Jinki was not the person who is so confident about himself, that’s why when he came to me one morning telling me he was thinking about entering his world he’s in right now, I was suddenly afraid of how he can handle it. My son had to conceal his shyness, his discomfort over a lot of things, and his awkwardness, and in time, I thought Jinki actually managed to develop a different personality, one whom I call Onew. Normally, these two personality of that person collide and there, you’ll have great confusion of who he actually is.”

Jooyoung nodded, perfectly getting where his mother was coming from, for over the course of them living together, he observed him the same way as how his mother described him.

“But I will always consider this change as wonderful. Being an idol made him into one great person, though he isn’t the most perfect human being in the world, he’s so wonderful and I’m not just talking as his mother.” She leaned in forward to whisper something to Jooyoung. “I use internet quite some time to check some comments about him. Even anti couldn’t say much about my son.” Jooyoung looked at Onew’s mother, and just then, they laughed together and agreed about everything his mother said. “Jooyoung-ah, don’t let Jinki know about everything I’ll tell you, okay?” Jooyoung nodded, and continued doing some random vegetable chopping in the kitchen.

“Did he ever fall in love?” Jooyoung asked without thinking and just when she wanted to took back what she said, Onew’s mother already smiled and gave her a meaningful look.

“He used to have noona crushes, but if he actually fell in love? I don’t think so, so when he finally does, I think he won’t be too scared to admit that to himself that he’ll end up confusing his feelings and the girl’s feelings. I just hope that whoever that girl is, she would be intelligent enough and quick to realize his feelings, so she can do the first move, because you know, my son is pretty much a slow when it comes to this things.” His mother chuckled again, but Jooyoung didn’t know why it felt like she was trying to cross a certain message that she didn’t even understand. She only nodded, and smiled while thinking about that.