You should smile often

Safe and Sound

 

“K-Kamsahamnida…” I am amused by her good diction of the Korean language. We are sitting on the living area that afternoon while having some glasses of fruit juice. Mom is in the kitchen making food while we are just there together. Umma told me we should talk with just the two of us.

I look at her. She looks back and so I smile. She doesn’t smile but rather nods as a response. The smile on my face disappears as I get a little disappointed of her not giving me the same response.

“It’s okay.” I say. “I’m glad I was able to save you. Are you feeling all better now?” She nods and looks at me again.

“I’m very fine. Your umma has really taken care of me since that day I arrived here. She is a very big help and I always try to show her how thankful I am for everybody’s help.” She utters in full Korean – leaving me amused and bewildered. “A-are you okay?” Oh. She probably notices my jaw is slowly dropping.

I smile and take another sip of my drink. “I’m alright.” I answer. Again, there is suddenly silence.

“Until now… it was the most horrifying nightmare.” She starts talking again – her dark expression reappears and I see her depressive face again. I look at her, making her know I’m eager to listen to all the things she wants to say. “I was an orphan ever since the day I could recall.” She says. “I lived with nuns at an orphanage in the Philippines. When I was 10 years old, a couple adopted me. I thought I was already going to have my own family and live like the other kids my age – but I was wrong.” Tears suddenly flowed on her face. “They were okay at first, but started to treat me badly when I don’t even know the reason why. They sent me to school, but in pay, I must serve and clean the house every time. They fired all three maids to make me do everything alone – saying the money that they use in sending me to school will only be put into waste if they can’t be able to use me well.”

“That’s so bad…” I shake my head in pity and hatred towards her foster parents. If they had no plans on treating her right, why did they have to adopt her in the first place? They are not humans – I refuse to believe so.

“On my 18th birthday – exactly 75 days ago, I was sold.” She reveals.

“You were what?!” I ask loudly because I think I heard her wrongly. Sold? Means in exchange of money, she was given to other people?

“I was sold. A Korean businessman bought me for $250,000. That was very horrifying.” She starts sobbing. “They suddenly pulled me out of my room and dragged me right into that man’s face. I was trying to escape, but I got a slap everytime I try. I endured everything coz I don’t want him to get me. I don’t… I really don’t…” She starts hugging herself as she cries really hard. “I have left with nothing – only my dignity and myself. If that man took it away from me, I would rather kill myself.” She says in such painful expression.

I suddenly pull her into my arms and hug her tightly. I really cannot handle seeing her like this. She doesn’t deserve to be all broken and awful. If she’s cannot smile, it’s okay, but I want her to stop crying. I rub her back gently. This will be the last time that I’m going to see her cry.

“No one can hurt you now. I promise.” I say softly. She looks up at me as if she’s unsure. “I say promise. That will be for sure.” I cleared. “You should live her with umma and appa from now on.” I utter.

She detaches herself to me and looks at me directly. “You’re making me stay?” She asks.

I nod. “Yes. If you’re okay with it then… we will be happy to have you here.”

“But…” She bites her lower lip and gazes down. “It will trouble you big time… and besides.. are you not afraid of your safety?” She asks.

I take her hand and pressed it tightly. “You’re safe here.” I smile. “That same morning in the hotel. My friends told me they overheard that man’s conversation with the officer. They said the guy could barely even describe your appearance and the way you look. He told the officer you were always covering your face with your long hair. I don’t think he can recognize you anymore.” I say.

She nods and sighs. “This is the first time since I was 10 years old that I really get to feel safe and secured. You don’t know how grateful I am to you. I will be in debt to you forever.” She says but I shake my head.

“Don’t think it that way. If you think that you’re in debt with me then that would not make you feel any freedom. You must think I did it because I care for you – and not because I want you to owe me something.”

“You’re so nice, just how umma and appa are. I can’t believe people like you still exist.”

“There are a lot of better people around, Myeon Hee-ah.” I say. “You just got the wrong pick of people. The nuns in the orphanage you stayed in before. They were also nice people, right?” She nods. “See? There are a lot of good people around you. Just open your eyes and recognize them – and know that in order to pay those people back, you need to do good to others as well.” I tell her.

“Ne…” She says softly, and tears suddenly fall on her cheeks as she flashes a gentle and heartwarming smile.

“My dear! You smiled!” My mom suddenly comes out of the kitchen and runs to her. Umma hugs her tightly – almost squeezing her. “My dear, finally. I’m so happy I see you smile.” She tells her and I see umma crying as well. She then looks at me and rubs my arm. “Jinki-ah… I knew it. I knew you could make her smile. Look.” The face umma has during that time is so priceless. I can’t believe she can be very happy with Myeon Hee’s smile.

“Do you see how happy umma gets when you smile?” I tell her. “You should smile often, Myeon Hee-ah…”

“Myeon Hee.” She repeats her name and smiles again while nodding. “I can’t believe this is true… that I will be starting another life… by being Lee Myeon Hee.” She utters with her voice shaking, but as I see her tears. I think it has now become tears of happiness – calmness – and comfort. 


A/N: November 9 will be the last day of my vacation. another semester will start on the 10th. I'm so excited for school again but I feel sorry for myself because I will start to exhaust myself. But don't worry~ A promise is a promise and I promise I won't break my promise. LOL. It's 12:30 am here in the Philippines ... should head out to bed a bit later. Place some comments down there, okay?! Haha. GOOD,