Start of something new

Safe and Sound

 

“This way sir.” The attendant says as I enter the plane. I know she knows me... but doesn't say a thing. I smile and nod as I walk to the direction she pointed at.

 

“Thank you very much.” I smile and finally occupy the seat assigned to me.

 

“If you have any concerns or questions, you can approach me.” Her smile is so bright but something is hidden behind it. I think I've just become paranoid. Ever since the kick out, it felt like a lot of people have something to say against me.

 

“Thank you. I'll appreciate your help.” I reply. She nods once again before she leaves.

 

I sigh. I am really leaving South Korea now. My life for almost 25 years. Yeah, I know... it will only be for 2 years, but I think that will be like forever for me. 2 years without SHINee... 2 years without stage performance... 2 years without rehearsals... 2 years without my parents. I don't know what else to do if not for those things. How will I continue my life for 2 years now that I'm in the place I don't even have a single idea of?

 

I need to toggle with myself for the place to live... a place to work at... or maybe I should study? I should go to government universities so I can afford the tuition fees. What should I study? Business? Communication? Nursing? What?

 

I have enough money for me that I think will last for a year without working and just buying my necessities. I saved more than enough but I don't think I can survive for 2 years with just that. I need extra income... and as what my members said... I should make the most out of the negativity of the situation.

 

I am not in South Korea. I am not an artist and an idol in the Philippines. I've got the privacy I have long to want in this country. I am free to do everything I want for 2 years... and just if time would allow, I can meet Myeon Hee... and get her back to me.

 

I wish life is just that easy... but I know nothing is easy for the first time... so I also expect a lot of trials on my way.

 

“Lee Jinki?” My seatmate utters and I automatically look at the person. Who on Earth would pronounce my real name just like that? Fans know me as Onew... how is that just easy to call me like an old friend?

 

“Yes?” I ask frowning telling him the idea of calling me as if we're so close isn't that welcome for me. Not that I'm a snob but you know... I just said I would enjoy privacy... but now this.

 

“I guess you don't remember me. Look at you being awkward.” He chuckles and examines my face. “I haven't seen you in years if not for Television. You've grown to be more handsome.” He says.

 

I take a closer look and suddenly realize that he really looks familiar to me. An old colleague maybe? “Oh wait... you look familiar.” I say and he nods.

 

“You're my study buddy during grade school.”

 

“Kang Shi Hoo!” I immediately say when I remember who he is. Right. He's my classmate in gradeschool. My study buddy and my seatmate.

 

I remember how we used to go to the library together after class to study our lessons and do our assignments so we won't have to do anything when we get home. He's the classmate I used to have who values education so much just like me.

 

But when I graduated highschool, I heard this buddy didn't go to college... financial issues.

 

“You're going to the Philippines? What are you doing there?” He says in surprise when he realizes we are going on the same country.

 

I don't reply. I am still not prepared of this question and hasn't thought of the right answers. I just can't say “I was kicked out of SHINee” that easily and still act so cool about it.

 

He nods... as if he already gets what I mean. “I see... I heard the news.” He looks at me and smiles. “My sister likes SHINee so much... especially when I told her you and I were friends before. She cried so much when she heard the news of you going away.”

 

That I feel so sad... of the fans who are also suffering because of me.

 

“Tell her I'm really sorry.” I quickly apologize but he quickly pats my back.

 

“It's okay, bro! I have long predicted that you're going to quit being an idol.”

 

What??

 

“You predicted?” I ask to which he nods.

 

“You don't belong to be in the world full of fake people and fake faces.” If I got any plastic surgery done on my face before, I wouldn't laugh at his very true joke. “Come on... I mean, you're too wise for that. You can be a business man... a communication major... a doctor... a professor... and you will still gain the same popularity!” He says as if i'm the greatest person in the world.

 

“Why, thank you...” I only say.

 

“So what are you gonna do in the Philippines?”

 

I shrug. “I don't even know where to go first upon arriving there. I don't know Philippines. Not at all.” I look at him and act like i'm not affected with my situation. “How about you? Where are you goin?”

 

He thinks for a while. “Why don't you just go with me and apply for scholarship?”

 

“Scholarship?”

 

“There's foundation founded by a Korean in the Philippines. They get youth from Korea and help them with their studies... but in return, they have to go with a certain team who goes around the slum areas in the country to give them medical mission and feeding programs.” He explains.

 

Wow. That's really a rich foundation. You give scholarship to young Koreans... and then you help other people in a different country. That's a lot of money and effort... putting into right path and good cause. “Have you finished college?”

 

“Broadcasting Music.” I say.

 

“Even your course is about Music and singing.” He shakes his head and thought for a while. “How about... being in the field of communication? Hmm... you can write whatever in the future... or you can communicate with people... interact with them... something like that. I think you will be very good in that.”

 

“You think so?”

 

He nods. “You know how to sell yourself by being in the idol... that means you really appeal to people. Use that as a tool to choose another career. There are so many jobs about comm when you finished. You can work as public relations officer on a company.. or whatever.”

 

I nod. It's a good idea anyway... “Can you help me in?”

 

“Sure, buddy!” He says cheerfully. “This is fate. I get to be with my gradeschool buddy now that I decided to enter college. I was luring you into communication because that's what I'm taking.”

 

I am surprised and just laugh it all. “You'll be an effective communicator. You just sold communication. I just bought it.”

 

That... and I know it's a start of the new life. 


A/N: It's either we have the final chapter next... or just another chapter before the final one. I don't know... still thinking.