Welcome to the family, dongsaeng

Safe and Sound

 

And I am right. An hour after the discussion with the managers, I hear my parents knocking on the door of the room. “It’s probably them already.” I say and stand up to open the door for them. Key is left there with the girl – they named Myeon – as the other members can’t stand that close to her. They don’t want to scare Myeon.

“Umma.” I say when I open the door.

“My son.” Umma immediately hugs me and so as appa. They are both happy to see me and I feel the same. “How are you, huh? Is everything okay?” She says and looks at the paper bag she’s holding. “What are these for? And what do you need us for?” She asks immediately. Mom is not really the type to talk things roundly. If she wants a point, she’ll go straight there.

“You see, mom… I…” I don’t know how to say it but I guess I should explain to them first before letting them see her. “Can we talk outside?” I say and lead them out. They haven’t even entered the room but I’m here taking them out again. I hope they will understand. Okay, they can scold me, but I hope they will still take her just like how I planned.

As I start telling them the whole story that happened last night, mom and dad are just silently listening to me. They are not talking and it makes me more comfortable to reiterate everything. The atmosphere is not as nerve wracking as last night.

“Where is she?” Mom asks after I finish talking. I look at her. Is she angry? Worried? Happy? Sad? What exactly is the meaning of that unfamiliar look in her eyes?

“Inside with the members.” I reply. She nods and looks at appa. Appa nods as well and pats umma’s shoulders. They are certainly communicating with each other non-verbally – and only the two of them could ever understand what those touches mean. “I want to see her.” She expresses and I am a little surprise with the way she reacts.

I know my mom has been very calm and warm ever since, but I don’t know she can still be like this during this situation. I slowly open the door, “Please come in.” My mom immediately enters and my appa pats my back.

“You only did what is right. It’s okay.” He says and enters following my mother. I walk inside after him.

My mom rushes over Myeon’s side. Key stands up from his seat to lend the chair for her, and the other members step aside as both umma and appa come to see her.

I see umma caressing her cheeks. Myeon looks back at her and my mother smiles. “You are such a beautiful girl.” She says in Korean. So full of love. I see tears forming her eyes. “You don’t deserve any of this, my dear, why did they do this to you?” She says and starts crying. Umma must have lost grip of emotions as she suddenly hugs Myeon tightly.

That is the first time I see Myeon crying loudly. It seems that all the fears, tears, and cry that she has been holding on have finally come out now that she’s on my mother’s arms. It breaks my heart to hear her painful cry. I witness just few minutes of her suffering – I can’t imagine how painful it was for her for the past weeks – or maybe months, worst – for years.

She keeps on crying and mom is crying, too. Key slowly walks over me and places his hand on my shoulder. I look at him. He’s crying. “Hyung… I can’t take it. She needs another life.” He says in his most emotional tone. I nod. If I could only make her forget about everything that happened in the past, I would do it – but of course it’s impossible, but can I still try?

“I take care of you.” I told my mom a while ago that I’m not sure if she can understand Korean or not because I really doubt she lives in Korea. I suddenly think about Minho. He’s Korean but I thought at first that he’s not really one. The managers, all SHINee members – including me, and even Myeon herself are surprised with what my mom says. “Live with us.” She utters again.

Myeon stares at umma as if she is trying to know if umma is serious about what she says. Umma nods as if she suddenly reads what’s on her mind. “What’s your name?” She utters after a while.

“Let’s give a new name, omonim.” Taemin interrupts after a while. “If she receives new name with a new family… then it will be better.”

“Lee…” Jonghyun tries to start a sentence.

“Lee Myeon.” Taemin continues. My mother looks at them. “Myeon as in cotton, omonim.” He says while smiling at her. My mom looks at her and caresses her cheeks. She smiles when she realizes Taemin is right.

“Right. Your cheeks are very soft and sweet.” She utters lovingly. “Lee Myeon Hee.” She finally gives her a complete name. “It suits your gentle and young face. I’ll also teach you how to speak Korean.”

“She doesn’t even speak, omonim.” Minho shrugs.

“She’ll speak… in time.” My mom says full of determination. She then switches her gaze with appa and finally remembers the clothes she bought a while ago. She takes them out of the paper bag and asks Myeon Hee to stand up.

“I’ll help you.” She says as MyeonHee tries getting up. My mom cares so much about her. By the way she looks at her, it’s as if my mom just adopted a three year old girl. She enters the comfort room with her and I think she really helps her out in changing.

“Your umma just got herself a daughter.” My father says while smiling.

“Are you sure it’s okay, appa? After all the consequences that we might face?” I ask to make sure if it’s really okay to them.

“You’re umma’s obviously happy upon meeting her – who am I to object when all I ever want is her happiness as well?” He smiles at me. “And we’ll make her unrecognizable. She’s going to be the most beautiful sibling you can ever have. I think she’s just around 18 so you’re a real oppa from now on, Jinki.”

Sibling… yes. I smile at appa. It will be difficult to adopt an 18 year old girl with a very horrible experience, but if umma fell in love at first sight to her then… I know they can do well with Myeon Hee – my new dongsaeng.

I feel Myeon Hee has put a lot of her trust towards my mother. She is not talking yet but is allowing umma to lead her. As soon as she finishes changing clothes, mom says they should immediately fly back to Korea for her safety. Knowing the guy last night might still probably be around the hotel, we’re not sure about her safety for the next 24 hours.

“Passport.” Key whispers when he realizes it might be hard to fly her to Korea because of these issues. “How about her papers?” He asks.

“It’s done.” The manager behind me suddenly says. “I’ll take you to the airport right now and we will meet on someone. He is already making her passport and says he will finish it in an hour. He’ll meet us at the airport.”


A/N: [Unedited] There might be a lot of typo errors but please forgive me. I'll do the editing later but for now ~ I need to go do random house chores ~ See yah and drop some comments, kay?!