Goodbye?

Safe and Sound

 

I woke up when the morning sunshine enters the window. The scent of the warm lilac is around the room. The idea that I'm not in my own place immediately enters my mind, and that's how I am reminded that I have slept in Myeon Hee's room – with what has happened last night. I smile to myself. It is the most wonderful night I have experienced my whole life.

 

I gently open my eyes and look beside me to check her, but I am disappointed not to find her sleeping there with me. She has woken up earlier and has gotten up leaving me fast asleep here for quite a while. I rise and sit up while rubbing my eyes. I look at the time just as how it has become my habit. It's already 8:30 am. I have schedules with the members at 10. I have 5 messages on my phone. All of them from SHINee members. 3 from Minho, and the other two are from Jonghyun and Key, while Taemin miss called me thrice.

 

I open the door and suddenly smell the familiar scent of coffee beans. I walk further and the scent of pancake and honey are there. It makes my stomach growl. As I enter the kitchen, Myeon Hee has prepared my breakfast on the table. 3 pieces of pancake with honey on top and a ready to drink coffee in the coffee machine. She has prepared all these – but where is she?

 

I look closer and there is a note posted on the cofee machine. It's from her.

 

I'm going somewhere. Please eat your breakfast for a while.

 

Tsk. Myeon Hee has becoming used on just going out without informing me. After what we have last night, she just left me here going while she's going somewhere again. I take my phone and dial her number but I realized she has left it again when it rings from the kitchen. I know she loves me but she doesn't care whether I worry or not about her. She needs a real scolding once she goes back.

 

I lose my appetite to eat but I don't want it to be put into waste so I start eating. It will be better if she's eating with me though.

 

I clean the table up myself and she hasn't returned. Jonghyun calls up after a while and is shouting from the other line. He wants me to go home as soon as possible because none of them fell asleep during the night while waiting for me.

 

As I go back to the dorm, I see them looking at me sharply. It feels awkward. I feel guilty of doing something sneakily. I'm afraid of getting caught.

 

“Where were you last night?” Minho asks the question that could make me dig my own grave.

 

“Uhmm...”

 

“Let me rephrase Minho's question.” Key corrects. “Why were you in the other apartment the whole night?” He asks.

 

“Umma says I should sleep with them.”

 

“They're not at home. Omonim gave me the spare keys just in case we need to get something there.” Taemin says and holds up the keys. Okay. I'm doomed.

 

“Guys, what are you doing? Come on! Get yourselves ready!” They stop when the manager enters and shouts. We quickly prepare for the schedule that what happened last night slips on my mind for a while.

 

**** **** ****

 

“Onew-ssi... your phone keeps on ringing.” A coordi noona says as we go back to the dressing room. I take it and found out that umma has been calling for quite a while now. There's a message from her, too.

 

Call me back as soon as you finish working.

 

I think it's something really urgent so I didn't waste anytime and call her back.

 

“Umma?”

 

What welcomes me when she answers the phone is her sob from the other line. “Umma? What happened? Are you crying? What's wrong?” I say in panic. Is it about grandma? What happened?

 

“M-myeon Hee... she...”

 

“What? What happened?”

 

“I found a letter on our room this morning when we got home. It's from her. She was thanking us in her letter...” She cuts herself off and starts crying. “Jinki-ah... we should find her... we should find Myeon Hee.. I'm worried... please... Jinki... my daughter.” She keeps on sobbing.

 

“I'm going home.” I say and try to calm down myself. This is just another prank... she's probably joking because we were very happy last night. I am about to call her until I realize she has left her phone at home. “I need to go home... Myeon Hee's fooling around again.” I say and without any word from them, I go out and fly my own car to go back.

 

I arrive home and umma didn't say a thing. She just hands me the letter Myeon Hee wrote and left in their room. That's why I didn't see it this morning.

 

Umma... appa.

 

You have given me another life and that I thank you very much. You were there during the times that I was trying to recreate myself. I am now a new person because of you. Thank you for taking good care of me although you don't know anything much about me. I'm sorry for making you sad because of leaving suddenly. I decided to leave without telling you because I know you will stop me. I will leave because I don't want to be a burden for too long. I have troubled you a lot – it's time to leave alone with myself and try to fix myself this time. Don't worry about me. For the short time that we were together, I learned a lot and I know I will apply them in real life. Don't forget that I will always love you. Thank you for giving me such wonderful name. I realized I've never told you my real name – or what was originally written on my birth certificate that was made by my foster parents.

 

Please tell Onew oppa to take care of himself. I hope he finds someone that will love him completely. Someone he could be very proud of, and someone who has a say in life. He should eat a lot and rest whenever he's tired. Please extend my warmest gratitude for him as he has become a great part of who I am now. For the last time, I want you tell him that I love him so much – but i'm not worthy of his love and he should fine someone much better than me.I didn't write him a letter just because I couldn't do it.

 

Thank you very much umma, appa, Jinki-oppa. Please take care of yourselves.

 

Charlene.


A/N: Yes. That's her real name.