Phone conversation

Safe and Sound

 

I look at the clock. It’s already 10 pm and I’m supposed to be sleeping already, but I just can’t. I rise up my bed and decide to go to the kitchen to get some milk for myself. It helps me to go to sleep better.

As I go back to my room, I notice that my window is open for the curtain constantly moves because of the wind outside. I place my glass of milk on the table to close the window. I am about to push it close when I realize my window is facing another window from the opposite apartment where my family lives. There, I see Myeon Hee looking outside. Her hair swaying along the wind the cold night brings.

It’s already 10 pm, why is she not on the bed yet? Is she thinking about something again? Perhaps… what happened earlier? Is she blaming herself again?

I know I have noticed this before… but she’s really beautiful. Her long eyelashes match greatly with how firm her eyebrows are. Her slender nose is so pretty as well. Her soft gentle lips that she often presses against each other when smiling. Wait… how did I know those lips are soft? Nevermind… at least I know they are very red in color. Her cheeks… I haven’t caressed them as much as Taemin did during our stay in Hongkong while she was fast asleep, but just on how I look at them, I think they’re very soft and smooth.

I smile unconsciously as I get my phone on my pocket. I dial omma’s number hoping she’s still awake. “Omma, did I wake you up?” I say.

“No, honey… I was just about to go to bed. Why? Is something wrong?” She asks.

“Can you pass the phone to Myeon Hee?”

“Oh. Okay. Wait a bit.” She says and I hear the door opens. She walks to somewhere and then omma talks on the background. Meanwhile, I see Myeon Hee looking at something inside. I think she’s already talking to omma. I smile when I see her taking the phone.

“Oppa?” She answers and looks outside the window again. It’s funny how she doesn’t see me when I am just right in front of her. “You called?”

“You must be sleeping. It’s getting late.” I say.

“Oh.” She gasps. “I… I can’t sleep.” She says. “How about you? You must be sleeping now. It’s getting late.” She says.

“I was distracted.” I say as a joke. “I thought I saw a ghost at the window opposite mine. A beautiful long haired ghost.”

“Oppa… You’re scaring me.” She says in a frightened tone but I chuckle.

“Want to see a ghost? Look straight.” Upon saying it, Myeon Hee immediately looks at my direction and our eyes meet. “Now, the ghost is looking at me. Though she’s kinda far away, I know she has very beautiful eyes.” She smiles and I suddenly forget about sleeping. “She’s smiling at me. Wait, why can’t you sleep?”

“I’m afraid.”

“Of what?”

“I always dream of someone capturing me. It’s so scary. He keeps on chasing me on my dreams.” She says with a frightened tone.

“Hush, sweetie.” I say softly. “No one’s gonna get you, that I promise.”

“I feel safe right now while you’re looking at me… but I think I’ll start getting scared again when you say goodbye and go to bed later.” She admits. I sigh, but if ever she weren’t there staring at me, I would’ve had smiled from ear to ear.

“You should put a poster of me on your wall.” I suggest as a joke and I see her nodding from the other side. “Just kidding.”

“It’s not a bad idea.” She says, “But oppa ~ You should really be sleeping right now.” Right. I should really be sleeping, but how about her? She just told me she can’t fall asleep because she’s afraid.

“Go to bed now while we talk. I’ll sleep once I know you’re fast asleep already. Come on, I’ll tell a story.” I look at her from the window and she waves at me. I wave back and later on… she’s gone. “Are you on your bed already? Now get the blanket and cover yourself, it will be colder later on.” I remind her.

“I’m following.” She utters.

“When I first stand on stage, I didn’t know what to do.” I start talking.

“That’s a nerve wracking moment.” I chuckle when she comments about it. She’s really talkative, and I like that she’s talking so much right now.

“Indeed. I even forgot the all the lyrics of the song when I stepped in.” I say. “The scream of the fans are such an overwhelming feeling, but it gives me so much pressure, too.”

“Yes, because when they scream, that means they cheer for you, and they expect a lot that you’ll do well.” I smile again at the idea that she’s very responsive. I’m amused.

“But you know what… when I stepped in, I immediately look at my parents.”

“Omma and appa were there on your first stage?”

“Yes. They came to surprise me. Omma was smiling when I saw her, when I look at appa, he gave me a very supportive nod and a fighting.” I say. “That made my senses all come back. I breathed deeply and realize that I should always sing for an inspiration in order to get things right. That day, that stage was a performance dedicated to my parents. And as I go along… I always dedicate my performance to someone. There was a performance I dedicate to the members, a performance I dedicate to the fan who slipped in front of us, I even think that a fan in the audience is struggling about something while we’re on stage, so even if I don’t know her, I will sing for her to gain inspiration.”

I realize she stops talking. “Myeon Hee – ah…” I call. No response. “Goodnight. Sleep tight, and may you just dream of beautiful things.” I say and ended the call.

I am smiling when I get back to bed, probably because the last thing I heard for the day is her voice.


A/N: I am so lazy to even go to school on a no-classes-day. GAH. Need to buy books and get my I.D validated. I'm so lazy right now. LOL. OMG. But need to go,  Nevermind. I'll just sleep for a while. Hehehe. I'll go to school at 2, I guess,