Things I should know

Safe and Sound

 

“It's impossible no one knew who you are in this country.” Shi Hoo says the moment we arrive at the airport and get out luggage. We are now on our way out and we are talking to each other. “Fans have probably heard about you going here. They are crazy. They can know every detail of your life in an instant.”

 

I shrug. He has the point. What will I do if they still acknowledge me here and crowd me up on our way out? There's no security to protect me... and I don't know if the staff of the airport will care enough to me out.

 

My questions are cleared the moment we walk out of the arrival area. The lobby is so peaceful. People walking here and there – and no one seems to care about me. They don't know me. I don't know if it's something to be happy or sad about. It's either there are no fans in the Philippines or they have stopped caring about me the moment I was kicked out of SHINee. Wow. My popularity dashed down the moment I left.

 

“As an idol, it will kinda hurt.” Shihoo whispers. “But as you go along, you'll realize it's better not to be recognized. That way you can live your life the way you want – without any eyes looking as if they're judging everything you do.”

 

He's right.

 

Still walking, 2 girls approach me and hand me a piece of paper. I look at them and they just smile. Both of them look like they are around 20 years old.

 

“See what's that.” Shihoo says and I flip the paper.

 

We are going to protect you from overseas fans so please enjoy your stay here.

 

“We are with some Shawols who would want to meet you. I know we must not do this but... can you please lend us just 15 minutes of your time?” I don't know if she's Korean but she speaks the language fluently. Shihoo looks at me.

 

We walk to them and then we see around 50 girls standing on the way. “What if they get and kidnap you?” I shrug. After what happened... half of me doesn't care about what will happen to me. Not at all.

 

I stand few meters away from them and they wave. For once... I can see how behave and normal fangirls can be. I smile at them and bow. I don't know. I can't speak English fluently so all I can do is smile and say tons of “Thank You.”

 

“Oppa...” I know she's not a Korean... but she also speaks the language fluently. “Because you go here after what happened, we are responsible for taking care of you. We respect your privacy and we are going to protect that. Don't worry about your fans here. We all agreed to let you have your life on your country. Don't worry about your sasaeng fans and those who have the means of going here to find and take paparazzi photos of you. We are going to corner them and we will tell lies that can mislead them. We are going to protect you no matter what happened. Because here in the Philippines... We are your family.”

 

“Oh.” That's the only word that comes out of my mouth. I'm speechless. I don't know how to thank them. They are very sincere and I'm so overwhelmed.

 

“Do you have any idea of what the Philippines is?” She adds and I undoubtedly shake my head. “Philippines is an archipelago. This country contains 7, 107 islands. Almost 4000 of them are known and habitual... the rest.. is still yet to be used. They're s.” I chuckle. “If you don't have a car, you can ride either Bus, Jeepney, subways, tricycle, pedicab.”

 

I give her a confused look.

 

“Jeepney is a public transportation where you can get to sit with 15 others when it's full. For regular fare, it costs P8 pesos.” She asks me to lend her my palm and I do. She then drops 8 coins. “You can also use this coins.” She drops another set of coins. “This yellowish one is 5 peso. This coin with a gold ring around it is 10 peso. This tiny coin over here is a 25 centavo coin. 4 of them make this silver coin.”

 

They are basically telling me the things I want to know.

 

“When you reach your destination... just yell Para po!! and the jeepney driver will stop the vehicle. If you're sitting far away from the driver. You can just hand your fare to your seatmate and he will hand it to the others until it reaches the driver.”

 

“tricycle and pedicabs are just basically the same thing. You can ride alone or by pair... about the fare, it depends on how far he'll take you.”

 

“You can also ride LRT or MRT. The fare costs 12, 15, or 20 pesos. Warning to you, Lee Jinki-ssi. Rush hours in the Philippines are all the time... if you want to ride these transportations, you must be physically ready because you'll have to squeeze yourself inside to get in.”

 

“There is also KFC and McDonalds here... but you should also try eating in Jollibbee. They serve your favorite and you just have to order Chicken Joy. If you prefer roasted chicken, there are a lot of store you could choose from.”

 

“Thank you is Salamat po and you should always smile when talking to older people. We don't need to remind you about that.”

 

“All other things you need to know are in these compilation.” They hand me over a folder containing some papers inside.

 

“Locations. Places. Regular prices. They are all listed there. We compiled all of them this morning after knowing you're going here.” She says.

 

“And this is an English-Filipino dictionary. You will have to use it. Also, this one book here is a guide while living for the first time in the country. This will help you a lot.”

 

I am literally speechless, but I take note of what they said so I can use them well. “Thank you very much.” I say wholeheartedly and they smile.

 

“Lastly. We give you this simcard. Don't worry. It is still sealed so we have no idea of your number. You need to use it since you're in the Philippines... we are also handling you this list of phone numbers of some of us and you can contact someone in case you need help. I don't know if you trust us enough but just in case you don't have any choice then we are going to help you in any way we can.”

 

They are angels sent to me for guidance. I don't know what to say.

 

“Now that we have given everything to you... you should leave. Thank you very much for allowing us to help you.” She smiles.

 

“I'll learn your language and will thank you personally in the future. Don't change your numbers please.” I say and they all nod in anticipation. “I will see you soon. Thank you very much for the big help.” I bow one last time and then they bow as well. They wave at me as I walk my way out.

 

It made me realize that however troubled you are... you don't need to worry about anything... because people who care a lot about you will always be there... standing beside you... giving you both their hands for support... without asking anything in return.


A/N: So there... the last chapter will follow real soon. :)