The article

Safe and Sound

 

The Girl Behind the Leader’s Smile

By: Shim Sung Mi

 

 

She is… both his strength and weakness.

It was hard to get her into the interview for her surprisingly protective boyfriend kept on saying no to this. As a reporter, I need to do everything with all my means just to get this girl into the interview. Thank God I personally got the permission from SM Entertainment, and her boyfriend couldn’t do anything but watch closely as I do the one on one interview with his girlfriend.

I’m talking about the none other than squishy SHINee idol turned hottie boyfriend, Lee Jin Ki, together with his fresh looking sweet girlfriend, Lee Myeon Hee. I personally went to their apartment exactly opposite SHINee’s dorm and had the chance to converse with the idol’s family.

Sitting with Myeon Hee-ssi on their living area, not far away was Lee Jinki watching and listening to my questions intently. I notice their constant glances to each other as if Myeon Hee-ssi is asking him if she’s doing good or not in answering my questions.

Going back to their history, Lee Myeon Hee and Lee Jinki are long time friends because of their parents. They separated when Onew was 12 years old because Myeon Hee’s family had to live in the Philippines for a while. I learned Lee Myeon Hee was born to a Korean father and a Filipina mother. After 10 years, Myeon Hee had a vacation in Korea which gave her the chance to meet the 22 year old Onew who is already an idol. Their romantic relationship started when Myeon Hee leaved with his parents for a while during the vacation. They continued communicating even if Myeon Hee had gone back to the Philippines already.

Unfortunately, Myeon Hee’s parents died a year ago so Onew’s parents took her since she has no relative close enough to her anymore. The 18 year old Lee Myeon Hee now lives with Onew’s family.

When I ask her about Onew being an oppa and a boyfriend, she looks at Onew-ssi for a while before fully answering the question: “The same. Jinki is an oppa who worries a lot and a boyfriend who protects a lot. He always makes sure I’m fine.”

Onew-ssi, as an idol, is known to be gentle, soft, sweet, he never gets angry, laughs and smiles all the time. How does he differ in real life?

“He’s a little bit of everything. He smiles a lot but he also knows when to be serious. He’s very soft and gentle but his authority is something you cannot just set aside. When he say something, that means that’s what he wants to happen. He’s not really the naggy one but when he say something, you know you just got to have to follow him.”

It seems that he is very authoritative when it comes to you, that’s something fans don’t know much about.

“Probably because oppa is much older than me so he knows I should be handled very well. I’m still young and I think oppa is feeling responsible for raising me up really well, sometimes I think he’s my appa.”

About the engagement party and the wedding, what do you feel about it? It is not normal for the company to hold such event.

“Of course I feel overwhelmed and happy about it. I can only be engaged and married once in my life, and having this kind of event with the man I love will be the happiest days of my life. I also feel thankful of the company. They allowed us to go and be accepted by the public.”

Aren’t you afraid of the anti-fans? What do you think will the fans feel about this?

“I know it will be hard for them, but it was hard for me, too. I’m willing to wait until everybody can fully accept us. I’m not expecting everybody to feel okay about this, but if they are to get angry, please vent the anger to me and not to oppa. He doesn’t deserve all the hate he might get for all he does is to assure the fans happiness while trying to make sure I feel loved as well.”

Now that you know they are aware of your relationship, will you limit Onew’s fanservice or the way he possibly interacts with fans? Onew’s smile is an all kill. Will you limit his smiling faces so fans won’t fall for him anymore?

“No, no, of course not. (laughs) SHINee World came in first before we even got to be together. Besides, Oppa’s smile is something fans always want to see. His bright smile brings people happiness, so I don’t want to limit it to me only. He needs to smile for others, too, because a lot of people out there are making him the reason for their smiles. Even though this relationship was revealed, fans don’t need to worry about Onew being a changed idol because I guarantee you, he will always be the same Onew MVPs have loved.”

The interview with her was fun. Her refreshing smile and bright aura brings good atmosphere to everyone. Just like Onew-ssi, the smile on her face never disappears. I don’t if it was because I’m also fun to be with, or that because Onew was there on my back as I was talking to her.

I asked Onew-ssi for an interview but he told me he’ll do it some other time since this one is for his girlfriend. The engagement party is scheduled to be next week and as what SHINee’s manager told me, the marriage will take place 2 months after the engagement party.