First Priority

Safe and Sound

 

I go out of the bathroom and I see the other four members eyeing on me – suspiciously. Something’s up again? Why are they always looking at me like this as if I’ve done something weird and unusual? I frown a bit towards them and head back to my room.

“Hyung, you must hurry! Omonim’s waiting on the next apartment!” Jonghyun shouts from the living area as I enter my room. I shake my head. These guys are really up for something. “Or should we go ahead of you?”

“Wait for me, you guys. Why can’t you wait a bit?” I growl to myself as these boys really can’t be patient enough. I immediately dry my hair with the towel. It’s not the typical you-need-your-hair-to-be-styled-greatly event. I just comb it and allow my hair to fall as it is, fringe just reaching to my eyebrows.

“Wow, so cool.” Taemin stands up and eyes on me. “You look great, hyung. Really great.” He adds and it makes me look at myself in the mirror again.

“What’s so cool about a pair of shorts and a white tshirt?” I ask and frown. “Let’s go. Let’s go.”

We go out together heading at the apartment on the opposite side of the road. I never forget to ask umma and appa to talk to me seriously about this. I mean, why would they suddenly get an apartment when we have well built house in Gwangmyeong? And… bringing Myeon Hee over would probably cause a lot of trouble – of course to me, but I’m more concern about the trouble that I will give her. It will be hard to live closer to me.

Myeon Hee is exactly putting the plates on the table when we get there. The four members immediately dropped their jaws upon seeing her. The same reaction that I made when I first see her on our garden that day. She is wearing a one piece purple dress with a full skirt that reaches just above her knees. It goes well with her very slim body though I wish she would eat more.

Placing the last plate, she immediately turns facing us after hearing some noises. Our eyes meet and a smile automatically appears on her beautiful face. Her smile has become wider. I can see some sparks coming on her teeth now. It’s not as reserved as before. After few seconds, she leaves my eyes to look at the other members. She starts staring at each of them as if trying to recall their faces. Looking at the last guy Minho who is on the back, a curve on her lips is formed again. “SHINee…” She utters immediately and the same amusement on her eyes is there.

“Oh. You guys have arrived.” Umma walks out of the kitchen bringing with her a big bowl of Fish soup with vegetables and tofu. A dish that I really really like. Then appa comes out of the kitchen following her. He has with him a broiled chicken – a dish that I really want as well.

“This is the dish Myeon Hee has personally requested.” He says as he places the broiled chicken on the table. Okay… so the broiled chicken isn’t really for me – but for her.

“Our Myeon Hee finally meets SHINee.” She smiles and rubs Myeon Hee’s back. “What can you say my dear? Are they all handsome in real life?”

Jonghyun and Key giggle when they see Myeon Hee blushes. She looks right at the ground and I see a great reaction from the members. “Myeon Hee-ah…” I call out to relieve the awkwardly blushy atmosphere in the room. “This is Jonghyun, Key, Taemin and Minho. They are my friends.” I tell her.

“Are we supposed to do the greeting now?” Jonghyun asks and Key looks at him as if he is judging the older one.

“It will be fun.” Umma surprisingly says. Won’t it be too awkward to do the greeting in front of my parents and my adopted sibling?

“1.. 2… 3…” Minho immediately counts.

“Annyonghasaeyo… bitnaneun SHINee imnida.” As if on cue, all of us greet in chorus. It make all of us laugh in embarrassment as we even do the fighting pose.

“Before we do something funnier, can we eat now, omonim?” Taemin asks cutely. Umma has this weakness when it comes to Taemin so she nods in agreement and asks us to sit on the table.

I occupy the seat opposite Myeon Hee on the table. I swear it is just a coincidence. I didn’t know she would be occupying that seat and we pulled the chairs at the same time. I have the chance to look at her without her noticing it. She is busy observing if everything has been prepared on the table. Is there water? Are the glasses complete for eight people? Are the plates enough? Are there table napkins? She seems to be inspecting a lot as I stare on her very observant eyes.

“Hyung, are you going to get the rice or not?” Taemin who is sitting beside me asks in impatience. “I think you’ve been holding the rice for almost a minute.” He adds.

Oh. Right. I’ve been staring too much at the person in front of me that I forgot I held the rice just a while ago. To lessen the embarrassment, I direct the rice on Tae’s plate.

“I was thinking if I should put rice on your plate or mine first.” I say and chuckle. “I figure out our Taeminnie is impatient so I’ll give your rice now.”

I carefully observe Myeon Hee while we are eating. She seems to be as reserved as before, probably because she’s with some unfamiliar faces. Well, she has seen their faces but she hasn’t really met them in person until now, so we all understand why she’s barely talking, but the smile she often gives lightens my worries away.

She doesn’t eat much. I get to see her take few spoonfuls of rice with the broiled chicken and that’s it. I’m debating whether to ask her to eat more or not. I look at the other members. All seem to be busy eating and they won’t care about anything.

The rice is just in front of me. I slowly push it towards her and she quickly notices it. From staring down at her empty plate, Myeon Hee looks up at me.

“Eat.” I mouth and she immediately gets what I mean as well. She shakes her head and smiles.

“I’m full.” She mouths back and I shook my head in return, still smiling at her.

“Eat more.” I insist. My mother suddenly captures our secret conversation so she steps in and hands Myeon Hee some rice.

“You should eat more, darling.” She says lovingly. “Look at the oppas eating a lot. You should eat like them so you’ll get healthier.” My mom looks at me secretly and winks. I suddenly feel embarrassed.

“The tofu tastes good.” I say out loud and look at umma. She nods and takes some of it bringing it into Myeon Hee’s plate. I smile. She’s really my mother.

“You should have some of these as well, Myeon Hee.” Umma says and makes Myeon Hee eat more. Myeon Hee looks at me and my umma. She’s probably wondering what’s happening to the two of us, but because she’s very obedient, she takes the spoon on her hand as well and starts eating.

**** **** ****

“Omma, appa.” I call as I enter the kitchen where umma and appa are busy cleaning out. Myeon Hee, on the other hand, is outside having some bond with kids on their attempt to get close to her. “You don’t need to go here, really.” I say. “I mean… of course, I want to be with you, but I’m worried about your safety and privacy. If you live closer to me then chances are, sasaengs fans will follow you as well. Of course, I’m worried about Myeon Hee. She’s sensitive about these things.” I say.

My mom’s eyes soften and she smiles dearly. “I’ve thought of that… but I also think that Myeon Hee can’t hide forever. If she stays on the safest side then when will she free herself? And we brought her here with the intention to make her start living normally again.”

“We can’t be Myeon Hee’s safest side forever for she will have to come out and face the reality again. She will encounter hurt however we try to keep her for harm.” Appa says. “What’s important is… Myeon Hee knows there will be these people behind her that will always support her all the way. Having you by her side, I think it will make Myeon Hee even stronger, after all, I think she’s considering you as the biggest person of her life. This might be exaggerated, but I think Myeon Hee cannot live without you. I mean … her day starts with your voice playing, and her day ends with song of you as well. Give this to Myeon Hee, Onew. Help her to the fullest. Be her guide. Be her strength. Lead her. Support her.”

Upon hearing my father, I realize how big my responsibility is towards Myeon Hee. She’s something I cannot just set aside. Am I over reacting if I say I should put her in front of my priorities?

“How about our house?”

“We’ll go there once in a while. We’ll go back there after some months, but Onew, please understands, we’re doing this for Myeon Hee. As soon as Myeon Hee can live alone, appa and I can go back to Gwangmyeong and leave Myeon Hee here with you.” Omma says.

“We cannot simply just leave her here because we know you cannot look after her that much. You’re a busy person so you might need us here to attend for your needs as well.” Appa adds.


A/N: Here you go an update. Sorry I wasn't able to update much!! Anyways, I guess this is a good chapter LOL or just me?? Hahaha. Give me some comments guys *puppy eyes* Will be waiting!! XD