As long as she's improving

Safe and Sound

 

“Umma… Appa.” I go down the stairs and see my parents having their early breakfast on the table. They usually get up early since appa has to go to our business for work. Umma, on the other hand will have to cook for his meals – and pack him some foods.

“Oh, Jinki-ah…” Appa says and asks me to take a seat with them. “Are you going now? You should eat first before leaving.” He says. I look around to see if Myeon Hee’s somewhere. I realize she’s not there with us. “Oh, yeah, Myeon Hee’s still sleeping and since it’s still early so we decided not to wake her up.” He explains.

“But if you are going then we need to wake her up.” Mom is about to stand up from her seat.

“No, umma. It’s fine. Just resume eating.” She says as I occupy a seat on Appa’s left side. “She must be tired from all the things we had talked about last night, and besides, it’s still early.” I tell them.

We start eating and I suddenly crave for all the dish mom has cooked for us. It’s been a while since I get to taste her cooking. Key cooks really good – but we could never set aside how delicious our mothers cook. I decide to eat heavy breakfast since this is only one of those few times that I can get to eat at home. I put rice, kimchi stew, and some boiled chicken on my plate. I start eating and umma voluntarily hands a cup of coffee on beside my plate. She knows I will love it.

“You should eat like that everytime.” She notices. “You’ve lost some weight. I heard fans love the puffy Onew cheeks. You should get them back.” She smiles. My umma who talks to me like I am a six years old boy is back. She is probably like this because Myeon Hee is not around.

“But don’t forget you need to gain some muscles, too.” Appa doesn’t forget to add. I look at him and chuckle a little. “You’re not getting any younger, Jinki. Don’t stick to just being like the kid leader who mostly acts like a maknae in the group.” The usual way of appa conversing to me. I just smile and nod. He’s got a point though.

“I think you are really a big help to her.” Umma says after a while. “She has improved a lot within a day. She finally smiled, giggled, and went out of the house with ease. I can slowly see the glow on her face. I’m feeling very good right now.” She tells me. “Perhaps you could let her leave with you in the dorm.”

“Honey.” My father calls alarmingly. “How can you think of letting a traumatized girl live with five young males?” He utters in disbelief. “You know that’s not a good idea.”

My mother chuckles, “Of course I’m just kidding. I’m trying to imply here that Myeon Hee feels better whenever Jinki is around. I think he is her great comfort – which is pretty obvious.”

“If that’s what umma believes, then I guess I really need to visit here more often.” I wink at her, “Don’t worry, umma. I’ll find time to go home.” I promise and she smiles at me.

I drive back at the dorm and arrive there at almost 8:30. Few minutes later and the manager arrives to pick us for our first schedule of the day.

“I thought you were going home last night.” Jonghyun asks as we sit beside each other inside the van. I look at him and shrug my shoulders. “You didn’t even send a message saying you’re not going home.” Oh crap. Right. I didn’t inform them that I was going to spend the night at home.

“I’m sorry.” It is the only thing that I can say that time. I cannot explain anymore. I’m admittedly at fault in that.

“How’s Myeon Hee?” Minho asks as he climbs in inside the van and occupies the seat on the back with Taemin.

“She’s getting better.” I say with ease. “She talks and smiles more often than before. Umma says she never smile since yesterday.”

I am not aware that much of what I’m blabbering about. I just keep on talking about Myeon Hee until I have to stop when I realize Jonghyun looks at me very differently.

“You’re trying to say that all the improvements happened when she saw you?” Jonghyun asks as if there is something suspicious with me. “That is…. Weird.” And yeah, the way Jonghyun looks at me while he is saying that is as weird as well.

“It’s even weirder that Onew hyung is starting to care a lot to a girl – knowing she’s even a stranger to him.” Key says who is sitting beside the driver. I chuckle.

“Are you saying I never cared for a girl?” I ask.

“You never cared that much.” I look at Key at the mirror and he smirks as he shrugs his shoulders. “I mean look at Luna. She has liked you way beyond how someone could imagine but look… you never reciprocate the feelings.”

Luna… the dongsaeng who look really lovely and sweet in my eyes. She’s very lovable and I have cared for her as a sunbae and oppa. About the thing whether Key is right about her liking me a lot, I don’t know. I really have no idea about Luna’s feelings. I just know she’s usually like that and she just like to smile often. She is not telling me anything and those people around us are the only ones giving meaning to whatever relationship we have.

Then I suddenly feel Jonghyun’s hand patting my chest area. He chuckles. “How can he like Luna when this buddy over here is beating for someone else? Dugdug. Dugdug. Dugdug.” He laughs after making an exaggerated heartbeating on my chest.

I always tell my mind I’m doing this because I care for her, but Key’s question arises from there… where did I really learn how to care for a girl? Where did I really learn how to consider a girl’s feelings? After dating twice – that didn’t turn out well – I knew then I have really no interest to women – yet. Not that I’m saying I’m interested to Myeon Hee but… now that they have come to stir that issue on my mind. I suddenly start thinking why I worry about her that much, and last night, I don’t know why I got very happy when umma told me that all the improvements she had were all because of me.

There are really these moments when I get confused about what’s happening around me – and even in my feelings. Nevertheless, I’m so happy Myeon Hee improved a lot, and though she has still a long way to go, I believe this is a very good start.

End of Part Two


A/N: So I guess the part two of the story is about Onew and Myeon Hee being comfortable towards each other. Part three will start tomorrow ~ :D Comments, guys!