I need confidence

Safe and Sound

 

“You should date her… I mean… publicly.” Minho says without glancing at me on the table while we are having our dinner together at the dorm. I look at him, trying to make sure if he is pertaining to me or to other members. I don’t want to assume real fast that it is me. Who knows he might be talking to Jonghyun, or Key, or Taemin. I don’t want another slip of the tongue that happened with Key just a while ago. “I’m talking to you, hyung.” Minho cleared when he notices the doubt on my face.

“Why will I date her?” I ask naively. The four members look at me as if I just created the biggest sin in my life. Taemin wants to laugh but holds it in, Jonghyun stares at me as if all he wants to do right now is curse me, Key blinks his eyes nonstop, while Minho is making that weird O facial expression.

“You don’t know why?” Jonghyun asks. “Aish. I should just claim it’s me Myeon Hee is dating. You don’t know how to take care of someone you like.” He says and looks at me. “Do you want me to show you how to make a girl really ‘happy’?? Buying her material things such as cellphone and matching with her phone strap aren’t enough to make her feel special. Myeon Hee still thinks you’re her oppa and not someone more than that, hey, Lee Jinki, even the fans know about it!” He says with a very aggressive look on his face. I am taken aback. They really found out that I bought Myeon Hee a phone – well, it’s an obvious thing now. I just can’t believe they are stressing it as a sign that I like her.

“Ask her or forget about the chance of her liking you back?” Minho insists. “Or.. can I just date her?”

“No, Minho – I will.” Jonghyun immediately replies.

“She’s close to my age it’s me who must date her!” Taemin argues.

“YAH!” Key shouts which makes everyone immediately silent. “Myeon Hee is Onew-hyung’s already! Why are you still arguing you kids!” He says and then looks at me. “They’re being like this because you are not securing Myeon Hee to you. Go and make the move – even the simplest way possible can be the sweetest for her. Go. The public knows you’re together – so make the best use out of it so we can hit two birds with one stone.” He utters and I frown.

“Two birds with one stone?”

“Yes. Fans believing about your relationship, and Myeon Hee liking you back.” He winks and chuckles a bit.

“Go to your parents’ apartment after eating, hyung.” Jonghyun says. “Ask her to go out with you tomorrow and watch our photoshoot during the afternoon.”

How can I easily do these things that they want me to do? How can I just go there and tell her we should go out? I’m not that type of guy. The two girls I dated before happened because Jonghyun introduced them to me and told we should go out. It didn’t last because I really don’t know how to treat girls properly – like a woman having a romantic relationship with me. How can I do it? I don’t know. I don’t know how to do it and I don’t think I’m ready for it.

Oh yes ~ 23 years old and never ready for dating. That is funny but I need to admit it’s the reality. I only know how to smile, but not really approach someone and simply tell her I like her. I don’t have so much confidence with me.

Though I feel terribly uncomfortable and nervous, I follow what the members said and head at the other house after dinner. Omma opens the door with me but I have the feeling she already has the idea of what my intention is in getting there.

“She’s at the kitchen. Myeon Hee insisted on washing the dishes for tonight.” She smiles and points the kitchen with her lips. “Go. You’ll have all the time with your fiancée.” She jokes and I think I unconsciously blush.

I silently make my way towards her in the kitchen. Her back is facing me as I enter and her long newly curled hair is lying pass her back.

“Myeon Hee-ah…” I call softly and she slowly turns to look at me. Our eyes meet and I feel my heart beating stops for a millisecond. Her gaze is mind blowing. It’s like my soul jumped out of my body for a while.

“Oppa..” She calls as she smiles sweetly towards me. After a quick glance, she immediately goes back to washing the dishes. I walk closer to her and so I lean a bit to the counter facing her side profile. She’s beautiful even with her half face facing me.

“First, I’m sorry.” I say as I look into her. She shakes her head and I see her smile again.

“I remember it was you who told me I should never say sorry to everyone.” She looks at me suddenly and it caught me off guard again. I don’t know why I’m having imaginary goosebumps everytime she looks without any warning.

I sigh to make up with the breath that I wasn’t able to release because of her gaze. “I’m sorry for saying sorry… oh no. I’m sorry I keep on saying sorry … oh gosh, I should stop saying sorry, oh dear I just uttered so – uh nevermind.” I lost track of my proper mind that I suddenly start stuttering.

She let out a laugh. For 10 seconds, she was moving her shoulders up and down while laughing at me. It’s amusing, I can even get to see her perfect set of shining teeth.

“You’re so funny, oppa~” She says as she is able to get over it. “It’s okay. You don’t have to worry about me. As long as you’re there and you promise me you’ll never leave me, then I know I’ll be safe.” She says and goes back to her normal safe. “I have troubled you so much but please forgive me if I ever trouble you to your limits, but please ~ take good care of me and always stay with me. That way, I know I won’t be afraid – of anything.” She says.

The fans are wrong to think Myeon Hee looks at me as big brother – when in fact, she looks at me as her bodyguard-slash-brother-slash-guardian angel-slash-father.

“Should we just enjoy it?” She looks at me, wondering what I meant. “I don’t know how to say it but… since they thought we’re dating, can we just make them believe we’re really together?”

“Isn’t that what I did during the interview?” She says and suddenly realizes something. Her face starts to get worried. “Wait… they didn’t believe me? Did I say wrong things?” She asks and I shake my head.

“But they think you look at me as an oppa only.” I don’t need to tell her the fans think I love her so much as well, right? She frowns.

“But I really answered as if you’re my boyfriend. What should I do then?.” She bits her lower lip. Oh… Lee Myeon Hee and the things she does… “I need to do really well next time.” She utters to herself.

“Do you want to go out with me tomorrow morning?” I ask. I don’t know where I got that gazillion confidence in me suddenly. She looks at me. Is it just imagination or do I really see her eyes sparkling bright?

“You’re taking me out?” She asks. I might be imagining it but I think she’s excited. “You mean date, oppa?” I nod though I feel confused. She must be worrying since it could be someone’s chance to recognize her, but as long as she doesn’t remember these worries, I should always make her feel better.

“And if you want … you can go to our photoshoot tomorrow in the afternoon.”

“SHINee’s Photoshoot?!” That is the first time I hear her fangirl-like scream. “I really appreciate it, oppa! Thank you very much!!” She says completely fangirl-ing.

Hey, Jinki… you did great, didn’t you? 


A/N: It's a date later, baby. :D :D