Closer to me

Safe and Sound

 

“We’re almost there, kids.” Our manager utters. He is simply announcing we are reaching the dorm soon. We had a very loaded Saturday night and we just finished at 6 am. I think it’s 7:30 now and I really want to go to bed and have some sleep. “Oh. There’s a new neighbor.” He says but I’m too lazy to open my eyes and see who the new neighbor is. I think the manager is talking about the apartment opposite ours on the other side of the road. It was vacant for almost 2 months already. The last person who rented is now in New Zealand for his work.

“Onew-yah…” The manager calls and I’m too lazy to even respond. I’m very sleepy. The van stops and I know we are already at the front of the apartment. “Isn’t that your mother?”

I automatically open my eyes and look at the window. What is my mother doing here?! At this early time of day?! And… why is she at the front of the vacant apartment?! I immediately look around and saw our family car. God… they are really here.

I immediately open the door on my side and run towards them. “Umma!” I shout while umma is trying to arrange the plants outside the apartment. She stands and widens her eyes upon seeing me going to her – as if she doesn’t know I’m going to be there anytime soon.

“Oh! You’re here!” She says with a sudden disappointed look. “We are about to surprise you but you caught us!” She shouts.

“Umma… what are you doing here?” I ask straightly. Appa then comes out of the door.

“I’m sorry, Jinki, but your mom really wants this and I can’t do anything about it.” He says and shrugs. “I told her this might be too much, but she kept on insisting so I just said yes.”

“I just do this because I miss Jinki all the time.” My mother pouts. “If he cannot come home, then I might as well come here for him. Don’t worry. I am not going to invade your dorm like it’s my own. We have our own apartment here.” She smiles.

“Honey…” Appa calls out. “Might as well be honest to him. How can he believe you just miss him when he’s already at this job for 5 years?” There is a funny expression on his face. I look at umma in confusion. I capture her looking sharply at appa but he just chuckles at her.

“I’m just thinking about Myeon Hee’s sake.” She says. Okay, here we go about Myeon Hee again. Ever since she appears, I don’t know why she has to be within my range of thinking all the time. There’s no day that passed that she is not in my mind. And now, the day is just starting and I already hear her name. “She’ll be happy to be here close to you, plus, I also want to show her around, and teach her all the things she needs to know about Korea and Seoul.” She utters.

“How about your mission of getting the two together?” Appa asks but umma suddenly hits him on the arm.

“I never said that!” She denies in conviction. “I never thought of that…” She adds and looks at me. “But why are you outside at this time? Shouldn’t you be sleeping still?” She asks and looks at my back. I follow her gaze and the other members have gotten out of the van. They are walking towards us.

“Annyonghasaeyo, omonim ~ Appuji.” They greet my mother and my father. “It’s nice to see you here. Are you living here now?” Jonghyun asks to which umma responds positively. I notice the surprise on my members’ faces, but they later turn to smile.

“Yes, we are!” Umma happily says. “Do you remember Myeon Hee? Do you want to meet her soon? I’ll ask her out later so you can see her.” She smiles and happily talks about her. I see mom being so bright when it comes to Myeon Hee. “But I think you guys should take a lot of rest right now. Look at your faces! All worn out!” She says and gently turns me and then pushes me on my back. “Go back now and have some sleep but I shall wake you up at 10 am because I’m going to cook a very delicious food for you.” She says and I suddenly see a light. I will get to have umma’s dish again.

“Thank you very much, omonim!! We will appreciate it!” The members suddenly became hyper. “We will sleep beautifully because we are expecting a yummy food with you!” They say.

“Let’s treat this as a house warming celebration. I’ll wake you up later and you should eat at home. Okay now, have a good sleep kids.” She says as she goes with us until the door of our dorm.

“Umma. We haven’t finished talking yet. I’ll talk to you about this later when I wake up, okay?” I tell her softly. She nods and just smiles at me.

“You know I will never do something that will harm you. We’ll talk later, Jinki, but please take some rest for umma right now.” She comes back to talking to me like I’m a kid. I nod.

“See you later, umma.”

There is a great noise inside the dorm when we enter. When we were inside the van, everybody seemed to be dropped dead. But now after hearing the food from umma, they are suddenly happy.

“Why so happy with the foods, kids? Chill.” I say while chuckling.

“We’re not just happy about the foods, hyung.” Jonghyun winks at me. “We’re happy about Myeon Hee being here.”

I cannot understand these kids, and even my mom. Why hook me up with Myeon Hee? I look at Key, he shrugs his shoulders and chuckles. They enter their rooms and I go to mine. If Myeon Hee’s going to be here with us… I guess I really need to protect her, not only with those possible harms, but also from these teasings from the kids. Tsk.


A/N: Myeon Hee's finally closer to Onew now!!!!!! :))