The masquerade (II) - Krissica

Jessica & the boys short stories collection

 

“Hello everyone, thank you for coming down to every lesson,” she bows in grateful before she continue, “We have so much fun together and unfortunately today will be the last lesson and today we will be focusing on our dance steps and rotation before we do one final rehearsal.”

“No…” she hears the crowd groaning.

She and the others have definitely bonded well; she knows she is going to miss them so much. They are such a lovely and fun dance mates and she enjoys every lesson with them. But out of all, only Kris is the one she did not manage to bond with. She is envious of other girls who have interacted with Kris. She keep wondering why he can talk so comfortably to others but not her. 

“So let’s begin!” she says cheerfully.

Everyone gets in their position and once the music starts, they begin to dance to the slow romantic pace while Jessica monitors them. She grins as she sees that they have improve a lot however she frowns when she notices Sohee is resting her head on Kris chest. Kris doesn’t seem to mind as he lets her be.

In split seconds, she is just standing next to them and coughs inwardly, “Sohee, you shouldn’t rest your head on his chest. You should look upright.”

“I think you should add in this part in the dance, I think it will look perfect,” Sohee suggested.

“No…” Jessica quickly cut her and explains to her that it will appear awkward if everyone is doing it.

Without noticing, Kris keeps staring at her. His heart smiles when he knows that she is jealous. Jessica knows that Sohee likes Kris and the way she still persistent resting her head on his chest somehow infuriate Jessica.

“Rotate!” she shouted.

“Is not the right time yet,” Sohee commented.

Knowing she is wrong, she smiles sheepishly at others. “Sorry.”Kris finds her cute when she blushes. He saw her scurries off and sits on the chair, puffing her cheek.

“Sica, do I have the honour?” a deep voice speaks as he extends his hand out to her. She looks up and sees Kai who is wearing a contagious smile.

She embarrassingly looks around and sees all eyes are on them. She hesitates but accepts it anyway when she sees Kris and Sohee talking. “Sure.”

When the music starts, the two begin their dance. Kai is also known as a dancing machine so he can easily pull off any dance. Their eyes finally meet, she gives him an angelic smile and his heart flutters. He likes her ever since their first encounter and he has been publicly express his love for her but then Jessica always tell him that she is not the right one for him. He doesn’t care because he believes as long as he perseveres, one day she will accept him.

 “Sica…”

“Mmm…”

“Why won’t you just accept me?” his glittering eyes slowly turning into a gloomy one.

“I am sorry Kai, I cannot reciprocate your feelings because…” she stopped as she needs to do a full spin.

“Why?” he immediately asked when they face each other.

“Because I am in love with someone,” Jessica confesses finally though she knows that by telling him the truth hurts him.

“Nugu?” his voice was shaky.

“I can’t tell you sorry Kai, it is all one sided love,” she says.

“Then are you happy?” he questions.

Is she happy being in a one sided love? She also ponders.

But she knows that deep down her heart, she is happy to love someone even if he doesn’t return back the same feelings. She always feel nervous around him, she dare not look straight into his eyes just like how he does too.

“Yes,” she replies.

She can hear his soft sigh. “I am happy if you are happy, Sica. I hope you two will be together if not I will make you fall in love with me.”

She nods and smiles,” Gomawo Kai, I knows that you will find your Mrs Right soon.”

“You are my Mrs Right,” he says. And with that, their dance stops and everyone claps their hand. They smile at the crowd and bowed. Suddenly, she feels a pull from Kai which result her facing directly at him again. She stands freeze on her spot with wide eyes open when Kai gently places his lip on her forehead.

Everyone gasps and murmur among themselves. Jessica face turns tomato red, “Guys don’t get it wrong. This is an additional part of the choreography.” She feels guilty for both Kai and Kris who are looking at her.

“Really?”Sohee questions.

“Yes of course! Right, Kai?” she nudges him and he nods.

“So can I suggest adding in another part when the girls will rest their head on the boys shoulder?”

“Fine,” she defeats. “We will need to do another practice again then.”

Without knowing, there is a pair of eyes witnessing them all along and it belongs to none other than Kris. He wonders what they have been talking about since there is a lot of movement with their mouth. Also, he is surprise and his heart feels a pinchwhen Kai kisses Jessica although she says that is a last minute idea. He doesn’t like the idea at all, what if the last partner he dances with is not her and someone else? He doesn’t want other girls to feel his lip on their forehead.

“Kris!” Kris halts his step and turns behind. He sees a beautiful creature come running towards him. Her golden hair bounces back and fro and her eyes are always shining. She looks cute even when she is running.His lips almost curl up into a smile but it disappears half way. There is no way she can make me smile.

He stares at her with puzzle look. She smiles sheepishly at him, “There is an overall briefing tomorrow for the ball at 12pm. Remember to turn up.”

“You run all the way here to tell me this?” he is amused.

Her face turns pink, “Ya, because you leave early and you miss the announcement.”

It is all bull because the same announcement will be aired tomorrow again. She just wants to talk to him and creates a chance for them.

“Okay, thanks for informing,” he is about to walk off until –

“Do you want to go to the Starbucks?” she asks, knowing Starbucks is his favourite.

“Sure,” he agrees and it just makes her day.

Over the Starbucks, they sit next to each other because apparently this is the only available seats. Occasionally, their hand will brushes through each other causing one electrify and another one aflutter. They have their conversation with mostly Jessica the one who is doing the talking.

“I am too talkative, isn’t it?” she pouts.

“No x3, carry on. I like to hear you talks,” he says not knowing it causes the latter to blush.

The way she speaks is so confident and inspiriting, like how she express something which in thus showing her true personality. The way she laughs was contagious and the laughter was special. Her laughter is a mixture of shy and sweet.

Their day ends well. She is happy that he is slowly opening up to her, warming towards her. She grins when she remember that he helps her to take the drinks, pays for her and smiling at her. Seeing his smile is rare so she is so lucky to witness it.

***

Finally the long waited masquerade ball arrives.Jessica, Taeyeon and Tiffanyarrive at the event in the limo. Being the in-charges, they have to oversee the whole event again and to ensure everything is in their expectation. They are very busy with every last details and at last they heave a sigh of relief that everything is up to their expectations.

Slowly, the crowd is forming with every single ladies dress in white snowy gown similarly wearing similar hot red mask and stilettoes while every man is smartly groom in tuxedo with a red bow and wearing a blue mask. Everyone looks alike with the dressing so it is difficult to tell who is who.

Everyone is awe by the delicate decoration of the event. It makes everyone feels like they are in the 70s fairy tale paradise. The ambience really makes it so comfortable and the 70s song list is play. Taeyeon and Tiffany grin upon seeing the smiles forming on everyone face.

However, Jessica over anxious surpass her happiness because the main highlight of the ball is the dance. Suddenly, she feels pressurize. Her finger crosses that nothing goes wrong. Her peers are doing a great job and they are giving all their effort in polishing their dance steps to her expectancy.

She smirks when she sees both Taeyeon and Tiffany cheats with their outfit by adding a small little petal on their shoulder so that their boyfriend’s side will easily recognize them. Jessica just wanders around, hoping to be able to recognize Kris.

Yoona, the Emcee of tonight announces, “Welcome Cinderella’s’ and princes, very soon the main highlight of dance will happens. The interesting part of tonight dance is that when the clock strikes 12, a bell will ring and the music will stop. Whoever you are dancing with when the music stop, you have to share a kiss with the person. Just a peck will do.”

“Hope you guys will find your Mr/Mrs Right. Enjoy your night everyone!” Yoona added while holding up her glass of champagne in the air.

Everyone does the same and cheers. Jessica jaw drop and wonders whose idea is it. She doesn’t like the idea of kissing somebody else lips except Kris. She wants to give her very first kiss to someone she loves. She pouts as she thinks of the high possibility of giving someone else her kiss.

Just then, the music starts indicating the performance which Jessica has highly anticipating in. Everyone is in random position and they dances with anyone available on the dance floor. Jessica first dances with a man who is about her height and she knows he isn’t Kris because Kris is about 2 heads taller than her. But how can she knows which is Kris given that there are at least 20 man who is his height.

After dancing with a few guys who doesn’t make her heart sparks, it is the cue to rotate partner. She nervously glances at the clock which indicates clearly 11.58pm. It is 2 minutes more to the kiss and she knows she is going to give the kiss to the man now standing in front of her. The man standing in front of her is tall. Suddenly, she feels hopeful that it might be Kris.

She places her hand on his shoulder while he wraps her slender waist pulling her closer to him.

“Hi Jessica,” he greets her with smiles.

“How did you know my name?” she is surprise. There is no way that someone can recognize her.

He just smiles and divulges nothing regarding how he knows, instead he compliments her, “You are so gorgeous tonight.”

His compliment causes her heart to skip a beat and her cheek rose; she thanks him and the god that it was dim so he cannot see how red her cheek is now.

“Are you blushing?” she senses his smirk.

“What? No...” she stumbles and then lowers her head. How he knows? Is he a god?

He lifts her chin to make her face him but she quickly looks away, anywhere except him.

“Why are so shy? This is so unlike you,” he asks as they continue to sway their bodies to the beautiful melody.

“You are breathtaking,” he again whispers to her ears, bringing chills to her.

The way he holds her, the way he whisper sending warm breathe to her ears. There is no way other man can make her feel so intrigue, making her feelings reeling up and down, making her heart aflutter unless the person she is dancing with is... Kris.

“Kris? Are you Kris?” she finally asks. She has these strong feelings that he could be him.

Just then, the music stops and the clock bell rings. Everyone knows it’s the time to kiss their partner as they are freeze in their position until Yoona appears again and says, “All charming princes, you may now kiss your Cinderella. And then, everyone must reveal themselves.”

Jessica hitches and her heart beat quickens. But never has she known that, the guy is feeling nervous yet happy as well. Although his heart rate doubles or triples, he can’t wait to kiss the woman he has been secretly in love with.

She stands freeze in her spot, not moving an inch while he is slowly approaching her lip - her pouty lip that makes him so irresistible. When he finally closes the gap between their lips, they feel each other lips. Nothing feels so right right now, it’s like they both are electrify.

She can feel her cheek is beyond hot, or is it because partial of the heat is from him? With their lips just gently brushes one another, they doesn’t want to let go until they sense that everyone is staring at them.

She pushes herself back and takes off her mask. In that very brief second, she hears him whispering to her again, “Meet me at the rooftop and I will reveal myself to you.”

He runs at a fast speed and she chases after him till they both reaches the rooftop. She pants and asks, “Who are you? Are you Kris?” she slowly approaches him and sees that he takes off his mask.

She gasps when he turns. “Kris!”

He gives her a warmth smile and pulls her into his embrace.  “Jessica, I have been wanting to find the right opportunity to tell you that I...” He releases her and she looks at him expectantly, “I love you.”

“I am not dreaming, am I?”

She feels a pinch on the bridge of her nose and she wince. “You are not dreaming, Cinderella.”

OMG! This is real! Kris, the man I love confesses that he loves me too!

“You know what?” she says and he shakes his head.

“I love you too!” she hugs him tightly.

When their eyes meet, they lean towards each other and kisses under the moon brightly shining over them, with their lovingly shadows reflecting luminously on the ground.

They both think, “Masquerade and you is the best thing ever happens in my life.”

***

Hope you enjoy reading :) Pardon for any mistakes because I never do a proof read. 

Up next will be Haesica as promise, and the title will be THE DARE KISS. (title might change)

till then, xoxo